...Moncton SPCA girl had babies..they're gone!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because this is an SPCA branch there should be something that can be done about this if there is a need to go over the shelter manager's head (hopefully it wont come to that)

that is so awful - hopefully everything works out well for the mama and the little dude

I was trying to line up homes.
Had one possible home for 2 baby boys (or girls) lined up.
We were working on lining up homes.
And Lindsay was still debating whether or not she was going to adopt the mom and the 5 babies.
The babies were only a few days old.

Well we went in today at around noon to go pick up Elizabeth and Henri. When I got there the girl at the front desk asked me If I had saw them before and I flat out said "yes I was the one that had to tell you guys on Monday that Elizabeth had babies and then yesterday had to tell you people that her babies were gone which you have no clue as to what happened to them." She wasn't sure what to say. i don't care if I was a little snippy with her she was trying to tell me stuff as if they have more knowledge then I do about rats.
If that had that knowledge they wouldn't have them on pine and be feeding them that seed mix. Also I found an interesting peice of news that Elizabeth and Henri were in the SPCA at the time that Molly, Zenna and Thai were. She said they were not up for adoption at the time. She had said that Elizabeth was mean to Molly and didn't want them in the same cage. I had to tell her that that was how rats acted when they are territorial bla bla bla. She was annoyed by my smart answers I guess 'cause she kept trying to make up excuses 'n what not to make me sound wrong.
If Elizabeth and Henri were in there when our first 3 SPCA girls were then that has to mean that Henri and Elizabeth were in the same cage together for a while because we have had the girls now for well over a month and a half. So If they had of separated them at first she probably wouldn't have had babies and now those poor babies would be MIA.

Jo and Dahlas thank you so much for offering to help pay for Henri's neuter. But we won't need to do the neuter now as Clark is going to come and get Henri :) He will be much happier with other boys and be able to keep his man parts lol He's a sweetie though he's sitting on my shoulder bruxing away.

We're going to have to do intro's slowly with Elizabeth we brought her to the cage so they could sniff her and she got a nasty bite on the top of her neck. It's weird that they did that because Franka was fine with them the first day she was home. It could be because they smell a boy and are going boy crazy! I've never seen them try so hard to get out of that cage! So I'm glad Henri is going with Clark then we don't have to worry about any mistakes.

Thank you so much to all of you for your help it means so much to us knowing we have great friends here on the Shack :)

oh by the way I still haven't gotten an email back from that lady at the SPCA.

Thanks:) Clark just left with Henri :) So glad to know he's going to get a good home! The girls are going nuts! lol I've never seen them act like this it has to be becuase of the boy smell. All of them were just going crazy smelling my hands and shirt lol geez.

I'm a little late in reading this thread, nevertheless I'm shocked that the SPCA did not know what happened to the babies! I know the SPCA has very few resources and uneducated staff and volunteers concerning anything smaller than a cat, but losing babies? That is totally irresponsible of the SPCA!! I have written a letter to the NBSPCA and the Moncton SPCA although I doubt I'll get a response. :soapbox:

Good for you Lindsay and Clark for taking a stand on behalf of those little darlings! :hugs:

Vanessa said:
May I ask a quick question? Was someone willing to take those babies for certain? Were they accounted for? I don't need to know who, just if they had a home.
Thanks.

From what I gathered they were still pinkies, so I seriously doubt they would be rehomed.

It makes me sick thinking that they were thrown out or possibly stolen?

Did anyone find out what happened to the eepers or is it all still a mystery?

They were only a few days old. When I saw them Monday I figure they were between 2-3 days old and being so healthy and how protective the mom was there is no way she would have eaten them so the staff must have done something. So yeah it is still a mystery :(

I checked through the litter again in case I missed something like if she had buried them but there was nothing :( Poor girl. She seems to be doing well though. I put Leia in with her because Leia is very gentle and easy for intros. They're bust buds already :) So that's good she'll have a friend with her till the rest of the girls start getting along with her.

I had Leia, Mya, Janeway, Franka, Thai, Willow and Elizabeth on the couch and they were doing well. Mya started to be kinda a bully and I told her no and pinned her down. She was fine with her after that lol Mya will look at me after I do that as if to say okkkkk I won't bug her geez lol

I still have not gotten an email back from the SPCA :rant: I think they are choosing to ignore me no doubt.

lindsayfawn said:
I still have not gotten an email back from the SPCA :rant: I think they are choosing to ignore me no doubt.

That's really lame and unprofessional! Hopefully by next week they will get back to you, perhaps the lady you wrote to needs time to check out the situation.

ok.. excuse my ignorance with the following question.. im still looking for a reason the babies went mia.... im trying very hard to believe they werent thrown out.. this really really bothers me. :cry3: :panic: :gaah:
my question is this.. has anyone ever heard of male rats possibly killing and eating their babies? i know it is common with guinea pigs.. and its natural in several other species of animals... so it crossed my mind that elizabeth and henry got switched in the cages during a cleaning...and henry was with the babies and that might have been what happened??? if it was a possibility this was all natures doing... then fine...
just curious...

I honestly don't think the male would hurt the babies on purpose but I really don't have much experience with that. I've seen a read a few places where mom and dad were kept together with the babies and nothing happened. I don't know...

lindsayfawn said:
so it crossed my mind that elizabeth and henry got switched in the cages during a cleaning...and henry was with the babies and that might have been what happened??? if it was a possibility this was all natures doing... then fine...
just curious...

In my opinion even if Henry did it it isn't natures doing. It is still negligence on the shelters part, if there are babies in a cage you keep track of them and make sure they get back with their mother. They wouldn't place a litter of puppies or kittens with another dog or cat- they shouldn't do it with the rats either! I just think that they really screwed up on this one...

Oh my god.

When I first read the topic, I figured they had been adopted, and since I often read the forum at work with limited time, I didn't open it...

I'm reading it this morning, while hanging out with one of my babies, and I just can't see how someone could throw out babies...You would think that they would at least have heard them....I know that whenever I went near the little eepers, Mouchette would jump up and the babies would go nuts...Mouchette only had 3 and you could hear them across the room! It just makes me sad :sad3:

I can only hope that it was an accident...but then, I think about my co-workers reaction to Mouchette having babies (can't you just flush them?) and think that maybe some people are just heartless like that :redhot: ...But I would hope that anyone working at the SPCA would have a love for all animals...

Once I calm down some, I would like to help....Is there anything I can do?

I am afraid I tend to think like nattykins....the shelter disposed of the babies....hoping no one knew about them....probably on purpose. Maybe not known by all.

I have still not gotten an email back from that lady. I really hope that they didn't dispose of the babies but they very well could have considering they do kill their animals there still if they are there too long. They do not have a no kill policy.
I'm really disappointed in them and disgusted, they're supposed to help all animals not pick and chose their favourites.

I've been waiting to comment on this and just watching instead... waiting for the response you got from her. I doubt she's just ignoring the issue... she's probably trying to cover her arse. :roll: Maybe if others start to e-mail they will address it a lil quicker and take the time and courtesy to respond. If they euthanized them, that's one thing, although still incredibly disappointing that no effort was put into them at all and people here were trying to arrange adoptions; but if they were just tossed out, that is another, despite not having a "no kill policy." Even if it was accidental, that just shows disorganization and apathy and is pathetic. I hope they take the time to seriously address this and show their concern... yet it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

The website description is incredibly annoying: "Although they came in together, they are now being housed separately to prevent unwanted babies." :roll:

Back