...Moncton SPCA girl had babies..they're gone!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like this SPCA shelter is on the defence rather than being open to improving their performance. I understand if they don't want to point the finger at their staff members or volunteers, especially if they don't have a clear picture of what happened. I wonder if any of their staff & volunteers will be re-educated about rats? I don't even think they reconise that there is a problem. It seriously wouldn't take them long to sort this out. Some posters and emails would do the trick as well as mentioning this at a staff meeting.

Even if mama did kill her offspring it's still not okay for several reasons:
(1) she was allowed to get pregnant at the SPCA in the first place,
(2) had a litter without anyone being aware of this and when someone was informed, the information wasn't passed on.
(3) she was (at least in theory) allowed to get so stressed it cause her to kill her young.

i just realized.. might be nice to post some picceys of the beautiful elizabeth in her new happy, healthy environment, with her new sisters. Intros seem to be going ok.. theres still a few bullies (the usual ones.. emily, mya, janeway. lol)
so here they are

100_2981.jpg

elizabeth and molly
100_2982.jpg

elizabeth and thai playin
100_2971.jpg

100_2972.jpg

elizabeth looks like she wants to watch tv... shes eyeing that remote pretty hard :p
100_2975.jpg

playing in the tunnel with molly (the lady at the spca said molly hated elizabeth and bit her ... if thats the case.. they are friends now.. so thats good)
100_2977.jpg

elizabeth and momma ang
ElizabethandAng.jpg

emily cant decide if she likes her yet... they are cuddling here.. but em will get all puffed up and be sooo mean to her at times.. :roll: silly girl
ElizabethandEmily.jpg

They are a shelter and as such have limited funds. If they don't ask for donations of pine shavings and only ask for Carefresh or similar, how much bedding do you think will be donated? I would say next to none, if any. No one's going to donate bags of Carefresh or other suitable bedding type that costs any significant amount of money, and they sure can't afford to buy it on a regular basis.

I know the shelter has limited funds but I really don't think there is any price difference between Pine and Aspen which would be a safer shavings if they must use shavings. I don't understand why they can't put Aspen down on their list of wants instead of Pine.

I finally got an email from the NB SPCA

Lindsay Did you speak to the executive director Nanette Pearl if not please
do that before we start and investigation and then if you do not get any
answers it will be looked into.
Paul Melanson
Chief Animal Protection Officer.

I emailed him back and told him I have emailed several people at the SPCA and have not gotten any response back. So I hope he's going to start looking into this mess. His email address is [email protected] if anyone else wants to email him directly.

Hey

I got this back from my law school's Animal Law group:

"If you have not yet sent someone in person to investigate, this might be a good idea. You may find there is a simple explanation and the staff are simply not very effective at responding to emails. If there are concerns about the conditions, you may want to consider some of the following information.

I am not aware of any oversight committee, and because the SPCA is not funded there is no supporting organization to turn to in order to voice complaints. I would recommend that you contact any of the following (I am not sure what would be most successful, although I would recommend complaining internally first)
(a) the New Brunswick SPCA Board of Directors,
(b) the international SPCA
(c) RCMP/ police - they have the powers of animal protection officers and may be able to help
(d) Lieutenant-Governor in Council - this individual has powers to make all kinds of regulations regarding animals and animal protection officers.
(e) New Brunswick Legislature / Attorney General- The sentencing part of the Provincial Offences Procedure Act (POPA) applies to individuals who violate certain standards set out in the SPCA Act.

I looked up the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, and it says that "Neither the society nor any branch thereof is responsible for any act done by any of its officers unless the same has been previously authorized, or subsequently ratified by said society or its executive committee." For this reason, I am not entirely certain that the SPCA can do much about this incident, because they are not resposible, but it is worthwhile to let them know. I did come across some duties that animal protection officers must swear an oath/make an affirmation to uphold, so you could perhaps suggest to the SPCA that certain individuals are not abiding by their oath.

Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance."

Lindsay, I will forward my e-mails to him as well. Nanette did not respond again yesterday or today. I asked her to, at the very least, answer the first and fourth questions I asked in my e-mail. She implied that they were simply eaten by the mother, but hasn't even said this outright.

ok, wait. so the SPCA is above the law that they enforce because they are not responsible for their members' actions? they can take all the animals they want from people who are considered guilty until proven innocent and yet there is no recourse for the people to protect the animals from them? if this is true then they can take all the animals they want and do whatever they want with him according to their own laws on the issue. the only thing keeping them in line is their own choice to do so, but if they decide to do things, well like what they are doing now (such as throwing away babies and not caring for the animals properly), then they could...

ETA:
ok, i was talking to my mom, who was talking to dad. he said that that would not hold up in a court of law. the only reason it is there is so people sue the employee and not the SPCA. but in the court of law the SPCA can still be found liable depending on the situation.

Yeah basically the law holds that the society itself isn't responsible for actions of their employees unless the society in someway authorized their employee to act. Of course this can be challenge; if it was found that the society was acting outside their mandate, abusing due process and using their discretion inappropriately, for example. But likely any thing they could be found liable for has to be operational in nature and nothing to do with broader policy/budgetary concerns.

rat.chaarmer I thought that law was only for Onatrio deemed the OSPCA Act. I didn't even know it got passed that's a darn shame if it did. I know a lot of pittie owners were afraid of this proposed legislation and if it is now law than that sucks for everyone (pet owners).

Back