MissGuardian's recipe thread!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone have a potato soup recipe that does not use onions?
I've got very little food left in the house til I get my food stamps again:
got some leftover boiled potatoes, some frz brussels sprouts, some canned beans and some rice.
I'd like to make a pot soup but what else can I put in it to flavor it up when I have no onions?

I have garlic powder, and I've got some rice milk left over from the rats' cereal. would garlic powder, pots and rice milk make a half decent soup?

Otherwise I guess I can just fry up the potatoes, but even then without onions they seem kinda sad.

:(

maybe my neighbor will have an onion I could borrow.......
hmm

Moon said:
Jo keep in mind if you don't want to make your own stock that you can get it in cartons. I make my own all the time though, in the crock pot, and freeze in various sized portions. Super handy.

Last night I made a heavily altered version of the Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Potato and Leek soup. It was incredibly rich when all was said and done, the boys really liked it. Definitely didn't suffer without the copious amount of dairy. I will have to write it out in proper format and share.

Tonight's meal is being taken from The Veganomicon. "Cauliflower and Mushroom Potpie with Black Olive Crust". Only thing is, I wont be using olives, and am debating on if I should just omit or mix in something like sauteed onions.

Oh, Miss Guardian, would you prefer I start my own thread for recipes to share or can I just post it here? I like the idea of having one recipe thread we can all go to :)
I´d prefer if you made your own thread, just so I can easier keep up with what I´ve posted :)
I will definitely follow your thread tho! :wink2:

Petunia said:
got some leftover boiled potatoes, some frz brussels sprouts, some canned beans and some rice.
I'd like to make a pot soup but what else can I put in it to flavor it up when I have no onions?

I have garlic powder, and I've got some rice milk left over from the rats' cereal. would garlic powder, pots and rice milk make a half decent soup?

Otherwise I guess I can just fry up the potatoes, but even then without onions they seem kinda sad.

hmm
I think it would be ok.
Have you considered frying the potatoes with the spices before you add the milk?
I usually do that with veggies in soups to get a bit more flavour of the veggies :)

Petunia said:

hmm

Fried up with some garlic powder could taste really nummy. I always have onion powder for that just in case time that I forget an onion in something... any other seasonings you could add? Get creative!!! Paprika can take nicely to potatoes, or maybe something like thyme? If the potatoes weren't boiled I would have said to roast them, which brings out amazing flavour, but sauteeing could work really nicely too.

If the rice milk is on the sweeter side, you might do better with something like nutmeg. I love nutmeg in cauliflower soup

MissGuardian said:
I´d prefer if you made your own thread, just so I can easier keep up with what I´ve posted :)
I will definitely follow your thread tho! :wink2:

No problemo!

MissGuardian said:
Brown sauce(vegan)
about 1/2 litre

Browning:
3tbsp margarine
4tbsp white flour

Melt the margarine in a frying pan or regular pan. When the margarine has stopped sizzleing(?), sift in the flour with a tea sift while whisking heavily. Keep the mixture moving so it don´t burn.
Keep doing this until you have a deep brown color.

Make sure you don´t have a too high heat.

When the browning is ready, you add 0,5 l water and a cube of bouillon.

You may add 3-4 finely chopped shallots. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Let cook for 5-10 minutes until serving.

I just made this. OMG!!!!! So delicious. Way more delicious than using animal fat. Wow.

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
Brown sauce(vegan)
about 1/2 litre

Browning:
3tbsp margarine
4tbsp white flour

Melt the margarine in a frying pan or regular pan. When the margarine has stopped sizzleing(?), sift in the flour with a tea sift while whisking heavily. Keep the mixture moving so it don´t burn.
Keep doing this until you have a deep brown color.

Make sure you don´t have a too high heat.

When the browning is ready, you add 0,5 l water and a cube of bouillon.

You may add 3-4 finely chopped shallots. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Let cook for 5-10 minutes until serving.

I just made this. OMG!!!!! So delicious. Way more delicious than using animal fat. Wow.
That's great! :D Going vegan isn't so hard?
I'm glad you like it :D Have to translate more recipes soon, just have no desire to cook(or eat) what so ever-__-

Apple pie(vegetarian)
[thumbnail:3v3sgvyc]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481751_4171812857102_672867644_n.jpg[/thumbnail:3v3sgvyc]

Pie dough(http://vegetarbloggen.com/2012/04/11/limepai/ *)
4 dl white flour
2 Tbsp sugar**
1 tsp salt
1 dl soy milk***
1 dl oil

Preheat the oven to 180C and find a pie plate.

Add flour, sugar and salt to a bowl. Add the milk and oil and stir swiftly until you get a firm dough(it should be a bit sticky).
Add the dough to the pie plate, so they cover up the sides too.
Cook the shell in the oven for about 10 minutes or so(just so it will be less soft when you're done).

Filling:
I just used a finished vanilla cream to the filling, but I'm pretty sure you can use this http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =252955739 to make it vegan.

Remove the skin, pits and the hard stuff around it, and slice the apples thinly. I used 3 sour green apples, but you can use as much or little as you want to. Mix with the vanilla cream and add to the pieshell. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. put back in the oven, and cook for about 20-30 minutes.

* The link is in Norwegian, and mostly so I'll remember where I found the recipe for the dough :oops:
** I used 1,5 tbsp sugar, and 0,5 tbsp homemade vanilla sugar
*** you can use whatever milk you want to. I used rice milk.

Hope you like it!

Edited to correct words I didn't know.

At first, I was really getting down about the food and the lack of "enjoying" it but since your recipes, that has all changes. I'm so proud of myself.
Please so continue!! And don't forget to eat! Stay healthy. :)

MissGuardian said:
Apple pie(vegetarian)
[thumbnail:3p9ds2lr]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481751_4171812857102_672867644_n.jpg[/thumbnail:3p9ds2lr]
Oh wow! I'm going to try this next weekend.
Today, I made vegan oatmeal peanut butter cookies.

Homemade vanilla sugar(recipe from http://vegetarbloggen.com/2011/03/11/hj ... ljesukker/ )
This is SO simple!
All you need is:
1 glass jar(airtight)
500g sugar(sukrin if you have that over there also works well)
1-2 vanilla pods
* pour in half of the sugar
* Slice the vanilla pod(s) in two, and scrape out some of the seeds and add all to the jar.
*add the rest of the sugar
* Put the lid on, and shake gently so the vanilla spreads around the jar.
* Leave it for at least a week.
* Enjoy!

Note: the sugar gets a bit hard, but it's easy to break up again.
It's also a great, fairly cheap and VERY simple Christmas present.

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
Apple pie(vegetarian)
[thumbnail:1ewdglj2]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481751_4171812857102_672867644_n.jpg[/thumbnail:1ewdglj2]
Sounds yummy!
Could you pm me the recipe?
My brother ate about half of it :cheeky:
Could you tell me what the pie mold thing is called?

MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
Apple pie(vegetarian)
[thumbnail:1r1igd9f]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481751_4171812857102_672867644_n.jpg[/thumbnail:1r1igd9f]
Sounds yummy!

I believe you mean a pie plate.

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
Apple pie(vegetarian)
[thumbnail:1o0smbt9]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481751_4171812857102_672867644_n.jpg[/thumbnail:1o0smbt9]
Sounds yummy!

I believe you mean a pie plate.

Thanks! I couldn't find it in any dictionaries :wallbang:

jorats said:
At first, I was really getting down about the food and the lack of "enjoying" it but since your recipes, that has all changes. I'm so proud of myself.
Please so continue!! And don't forget to eat! Stay healthy. :)
Apparently I missed this post :oops:

You should be proud of yourself! Good job :thumbup:
I'll try my best!
I'll try to :wink2:
If everything goes according to plan, I'll be making chocolate from scratch for Christmas presents, so If that's a success, I'll translate those recipes too.

American pancakes
Ingredients for 5-6 pancakes.

3 dl white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 dl water
2 dl plant milk*
2 tsp neutral oil + for frying
2 tbsp maple syrup

How to:

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Measure up the wet ingredients and pour them in(Including the oil! It makes sure the pancakes don't stick to the pan).

Heat the oil to medium/high heat in a frying pan.
Whisk the batter quickly and vigorously together. Add a bit of extra milk if you want a thinner batter.
Add one ladel and fry until it starts bubbling on top and it starts to get stiff around the edges. Flip the pancakes and fry for a few minutes on the other side.

*I've used Rice Dream almond and hazelnutmilk in it, and I loved it. Got a aftertaste of hazelnuts.
It also tastes great with chocolate.

MissGuardian said:
If everything goes according to plan, I'll be making chocolate from scratch for Christmas presents, so If that's a success, I'll translate those recipes too.
That recipe will be the BEST christmas present to me! :joy:

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
That recipe will be the BEST christmas present to me! :joy:
I'll try if it gets any good :wink2:
I need help with it, so I don't have the recipes :oops:

Pilaffrice
Serves 4 as a side dish
[thumbnail:3qjwu6t5]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/154496_3164327430596_418879953_n.jpg[/thumbnail:3qjwu6t5]
1 onion, finely chopped
4dl rice
1,5tsp(I've used 1 cube) bouillon
8dl water
3tbsp oil

Fry the onions in the oil, add the rice and fry for a couple of minutes(make sure all the rice is covered with oil. Add the bouillon and let simmer for about 20 minutes.

Vegetables & sauce(What I used)
2 carrots
4 big mushrooms
1 can chick peas
1 jar Uncle bens sweet & sour original(I THINK it's vegan?)

Chop up whatever vegetables you want, rinse a can of chick peas and try to get them as dry as possible.
Fry the vegetables in fairly high heat until the mushrooms has started to get a bit of colour.
Stir in the sauce and heat up.

Back