MissGuardian's recipe thread!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jorats said:
Oh! Nice variety with the shepherd's pie. I'm trying this one next time. Green lentils? or can we use the red ones?
I used green because they give more texture to it, but you should be able to use red too I think.. you just get a more mushy consistency(?) than with green.
The original recipe used canned lentils, but I cooked myself. Cooked WAY too much tho :giggle:

I love these pancakes! I generally make them with white chocolate and homemade vanilla sugar.
I also made with this milk [thumbnail:2m4tut2w]http://i4.goodness-direct.co.uk/d/403134b.jpg[/thumbnail:2m4tut2w]
It turned out really good!

American pancakes (vegan)
5-6 pancakes

3 dl white flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 dl water
2 dl vegetable milk
2 tblsp neutral oil + extra for frying
2 tblsp maple syrup

How to:
Mix the dry ingredients in a bow. Measure up the wet ingredients and pour in. Whisk it fast and vigourously(?). Add more milk if you want a thinner batter.

Heat oil to medium/high heat in a frying pan. Add one ladle of batter and fry until it starts to bubble on top, and it sets around the edges. Turn and fry for a few minutes on the other side.

I'll be trying the Shepherd's pie – vegetarian style sans cheese next week. Making my grocery list first.
These are awesome thanks so much for sharing!

jorats said:
I'll be trying the Shepherd's pie – vegetarian style sans cheese next week. Making my grocery list first.
These are awesome thanks so much for sharing!
No problem :wink2:
I´ll add veggie pot pie and aloo gobi too when I get around to do it :)
Have no consentration to do it now :wallbang:

jorats said:
Do you make seitan?
Not so far, no. I don't know if seitan is one of them, but I hate meat substitutes that are supposed to taste/feel like real meat..
I've stumbled over lots of recipes tho..

MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
Do you make seitan?
Not so far, no. I don't know if seitan is one of them, but I hate meat substitutes that are supposed to taste/feel like real meat..
It is often called wheat meat. It's like a sponge dough. What I like about it is that it's high in protein. I've done one batch and didn't turn out too good. I think I used too much soy sauce. I need to find a recipe that works with my palate. lol

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
Do you make seitan?
It is often called wheat meat. It's like a sponge dough. What I like about it is that it's high in protein. I've done one batch and didn't turn out too good. I think I used too much soy sauce. I need to find a recipe that works with my palate. lol
I can try to translate the one I've found when I have time/energy. I haven't tasted it myself tho.

I´m not at all sure of all the translations here.. But my dictionary/the internet was not helpful at all..

Veggie pot pie
Ingredients for one big pan
[thumbnail:19h9i42a]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404049_3973806667071_960577460_n.jpg[/thumbnail:19h9i42a]
1 pack butterdough
1 small(or 1/2) broccoli in small pieces(you can also use frozen veggies)
3 large carrots, diced
green peas(i used 2 dl)
1 small cauliflower head in pieces
3-4 potatoes, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 large tbsp milk free margarine
3 tbsp wheat flour
about 5dl vegetable bouillon(I used 2 cubes)
0,5dl soy cream(you can use soy milk instead)
pepper, nutmeg

how to:
defrost the butterdough and set the oven for 200C.
Roll out 4 of the plates so it fits the pan. Find a deep pie/ovenproof dish and add the butterdough. Make sure there are dough up the sides too. Put aside.

Parboil the vegetables. remember they will cook in the sauce too, so they shouldn´t cook for long.
The potatoes can cook for 5 minutes.
Add the vegetables to the dough.

Sauce:
melt the butter in a pan and add the onion. Fry until shiny. don´t burn it.
Drizzle the flour and stir well. Add a little of the bouillon at a time while whisking. The sauce should be medium thick. Season with pepper and nutmeg. You probably won´t need salt because of the bouillon. Taste and season to taste.

When the sauce have boiled for 5-6 minutes, and the flourtaste is gone, add the sauce to the vegetables. Make sure all the vegetables are covered.

Roll out the last 2 dough plates and cover the dish with them.
Cook the pie in the oven for about 40 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

For Jorats!
Note: I have never made this myself, so I have no idea how it taste.

Light seitan
(basic recipe)

Ingredients:
2,5dl gluten flour
1 dl nutritional yeast
1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
1 tsp smoked paprika powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 dl water

for boiling:
1 litre water
2 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
1 dl nutritional yeast

How to:
mix all the dry ingredients first. It´s especially important to mix in all the spices, because when you add water, everything will stick together really fast.

Add water and stir until you have a firm dough.

Cut up to large pieces.

Bring water with bouillon powder in a pan with a lid. Add nutritional yeast. Add the seitan pieces, put the lid on and turn the heat down. Let simmer for 1,5 hour. Turn the pieces a few times during the cooking.

Put the seitan pieces to a clean kitchen towel or paper, so the excess fluid is absorbed. You may squeeze them to get out more.

Tip: if you want more meat flavor on the seitan, there are vegan spice mixes for both chicken and ox flavours. If you like these, you can add a couple of tbsp both in the dough and the boiling water.

Minestrone soup(vegan)
I used black beans instead of red & white. we also added mushrooms

Minestrone soup

Serves: 6-8
1 squash
1 stem of cellery
2 carrots
1 onion
1 can white beans
1 can red beans
2 cans tomatoes
2 dl frozen peas
2 dl macaroni
2 cloves garlic, shredded
1,5 litre vegetable stock/bouillon
1 large handful of basil
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
fresh pesto(optional)

How to:
Dice the vegetables. Rinse the beans, finely chop the onion and shred the garlic.
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the vegetables(Except the beans, basil and peas) until they start to turn soft. Add the bouillon, bring to a boil and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and macaroni and let boil for about 10 minutes.

Add the rinsed beans, frozen peas and finely choped basil. Heat to a boil.
Season with salt & pepper. Serve with fresh bread and pesto.

MissGuardian said:
For Jorats!

Light seitan
(basic recipe)

Ingredients:
2,5dl gluten flour
1 dl nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 dl water

for boiling:
1 litre water
1 dl nutritional yeast

How to:
mix all the dry ingredients first. It´s especially important to mix in all the spices, because when you add water, everything will stick together really fast.

Cut up to large pieces.

Bring water with bouillon powder in a pan with a lid. Add nutritional yeast. Add the seitan pieces, put the lid on and turn the heat down. Let simmer for 1,5 hour. Turn the pieces a few times during the cooking.

Put the seitan pieces to a clean kitchen towel or paper, so the excess fluid is absorbed. You may squeeze them to get out more.

Tip: if you want more meat flavor on the seitan, there are vegan spice mixes for both chicken and ox flavours. If you like these, you can add a couple of tbsp both in the dough and the boiling water.

Awesome!
That's the first recipe I see calling for the nutritional yeast to be added to the stock and not mixed into the dough.

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
For Jorats!

Light seitan
(basic recipe)

Ingredients:
2,5dl gluten flour
1 dl nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 dl water

for boiling:
1 litre water
1 dl nutritional yeast

How to:

Cut up to large pieces.

Awesome!
That's the first recipe I see calling for the nutritional yeast to be added to the stock and not mixed into the dough.
No problem :wink2: I hope you like it!

If someone could tell me what this is called, I'd be very glad :) directly translated it's meat cakes, but it sounds wrong?

Vegan "meat cakes"
Recipe will come if anyone's interested?

b7bb89931c3c6c280b5c3b0eab3ea2b0.jpg

I *think* everything is vegan(only the potatoes I'm not certain of), but only the balls and the sauce is homemade.
Never made brown sauce before, and it probably shows :oops:

Vegan patties! I want the recipe. What is that sauce, looks good! My sister's hubby makes a mushroom sauce. I haven't made it yet but I should. lol I'm sooooo lazy when it comes to cooking.
BTW, I made the shepherd's pie, it was delicious! Thank you!

MissGuardian said:
Cauliflowersoup

Serves 2

Ingredients:
250g cauliflower
2 potatoes
6 dl vegetable stock/water + bouillon
0,5 dl cream
salt & pepper

How to:

Rinse the cauliflower, and divide into florets. Peal the potatoes, and cut into smaller pieces.

Bring the stock to a boil, and add the vegetables. Let cook under lid for about 10 minutes, until everyting is tender.

Pick out a few of the smallest florets, and put aside.

Put the rest of the soup in a blender etc, and blend until smooth.
Add the cream and let cook for a couple more minutes. Season with salt & pepper.

Serve right away, and add the remaining florets for decoration.

Do you know what type of cream if vegan? I heard of silken tofu?

jorats said:
Vegan patties! I want the recipe. What is that sauce, looks good! My sister's hubby makes a mushroom sauce. I haven't made it yet but I should. lol I'm sooooo lazy when it comes to cooking.
BTW, I made the shepherd's pie, it was delicious! Thank you!
Thanks! Just plain brown sauce:) (they are very common here).
I'll add the recipe hopefully later today then! I'll add the sauce recipe too.
I'm glad you liked it! :dance:

Back