MissGuardian's recipe thread!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
Do you know what type of cream if vegan? I heard of silken tofu?
I think it's this one I use, but the pack looks different. http://www.soya.be/market.php?product=9
Unless it says something else, it's always cream for cooking, not whipping cream :)
I haven't used tofu much. Never gotten it to taste anything :giggle:

I'm not much a fan of Tofu either. But, that product you link, I think I seen it a my grocery store! I'll pick some up. Thanks!

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
Do you know what type of cream if vegan? I heard of silken tofu?
I think it's this one I use, but the pack looks different. http://www.soya.be/market.php?product=9
Unless it says something else, it's always cream for cooking, not whipping cream :)
I haven't used tofu much. Never gotten it to taste anything :giggle:

I'm not much a fan of Tofu either. But, that product you link, I think I seen it a my grocery store! I'll pick some up. Thanks!
I use different kinds(from oats and such) but I prefer alpro when I get a hold of it :)
Our pack looks like this
cuisine-73_325x1250.png
, so it looks a bit different..

Lasagna with bechamelsauce, mushrooms & beans
[thumbnail:2km0e2yr]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/36300_4012858443341_210057603_n.jpg[/thumbnail:2km0e2yr]
You can probably add cheese to it, but I haven´t found any that isn´t either tasteless or taste like vanilla :sick2: .I also replaced the kidney beans with black beans, because I like them better.
* the original recipe ACTUALLY says absurd amounts of mushrooms :giggle: Just use to taste.
** Mine was done after only half an hour.
Recipe:

Tomato sauce:
2 cans chopped, skinned tomatoes
4-5 tbsp tomato purè
3 large carrots
Absurd amounts of sliced mushrooms*
1 can drained and rinsed kidney beans
1 large onion
4-5 cloves of garlic, or to taste
2 cubes vegetable bouillon
salt, pepper, paprikapowder, onion powder
soy cream cheese or vegan sour cream(optional, but makes the sauce more creamy)

How to:

Slice the mushrooms, finely chop the onions and garlic. Finely chop the carrots.

Heat a fair bit of oil in a deep frying pan. Add a lot of paprikapowder, and a lot of pepper mix or black pepper. Let the oil get hot and add the mushrooms. Stir a lot so everything gets seasoned. You get another flavour when the spices are added before frying.

When the mushroom is well fryed, add onion, garlic, carrots and stir well. Let simmer a bit more, and add more oil if it gets too dry. Add the beans to a colander(?) and rinse them well. Rub them with a fork so they get partially crushed. Add the beans to the pan with the rest. Add the tomatoes, tomato purè and spices. Add the bouillon(I just crush them with my hands) and stir well. Let everything simmer while you make the bechamel sauce.

Bechamel sauce:
5-6 tbsp vegan margerine(I prefer Alpro)
4 tbsp white flour
plant milk(preferably soy) until desired consistency (about 6-7dl)
Lots of nutmeg(a couple of tsp)
2tsp onion powder
salt, pepper
3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast for cheese flavour

lasagna plates

How to:
melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Stir well and add a bit of soy milk and stir. When it thickens(and it does immideately), add more milk and stir well. don´t add all the milk at once, that´s how you get clumps in the sauce. The sauce should be smooth between every time you add more milk. When the sauce stops thickening too much, you add the spices and nutritional yeast. Let simmer for 6-7 minutes, so the flour taste disappears. Stir frequently so it don´t burn. Season to taste and set aside.

Set the oven to 200C(392 F?) and find an ovenproof dish.
Add a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom and cover with lasagna plates. Add white sauce over the plates and a layer of tomato sauce over that. Lasagna plates on top of that. Repeat until you´ve used up all the sauce, or run out of room(like I did!). Tomato sauce on top.
Cook in the oven for 45-50 minutes**, or until the plates feel soft when you poke them. Take out of the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Once again I substituted the kidney beans with black beans. I also used canned.
I served with røsti potatoes(don´t know the english term), pea stew and brown sauce. Recipe for the sauce will follow shortly.

"meat patties"(vegan)
65426_4041494679229_1197440406_n.jpg

Serves: 4
200 grams dried kidney beans(double the amount if using canned)*
1 dl various nuts
1 shallot
0,5 chinese garlic(or ~2 cloves regular)
2 sticks of thyme
oil for frying
dried nutmeg and ginger(optional)
2 tbsp linseed
5 tbsp hot water
4 tbsp potato flour
some rolled oats(optional)
salt & pepper

How to:
Soak the beans over night. Cook until tender in a lot of water. Strain the water. Soak the nuts in cold water while the beans are boiling. Strain the water and run until they are crumbled in a blender.

Rinse and finely chop shallot and garlic. Finely chop thyme. Heat the oil in a pan. Add onions, garlic and thyme and let simmer for a couple of minutes. Add the nuts and fry while stirring until golden. If you think nutmeg and ginger is a must in meat patties(it originally is), you add that now. Stir well and set aside.

Ground the linseeds in a coffee grinder or similar. You can also buy crushed linseeds in a bag. Mix with the hot water in a small bowl.
Add beans, the nut mix and linseed mix in a kitchen machine(?), and let it go until you have an even mass. Add potato flour and oats until you have a dough you can form patties of. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Shape «meat patties» of the dough and fry in a pan with some oil on medium/high heat until golden. About five minutes on each side.

Brown sauce(vegan)
about 1/2 litre

Browning:
3tbsp margarine
4tbsp white flour

Melt the margarine in a frying pan or regular pan. When the margarine has stopped sizzleing(?), sift in the flour with a tea sift while whisking heavily. Keep the mixture moving so it don´t burn.
Keep doing this until you have a deep brown color.

Make sure you don´t have a too high heat.

When the browning is ready, you add 0,5 l water and a cube of bouillon.

You may add 3-4 finely chopped shallots. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Let cook for 5-10 minutes until serving.

MissGuardian said:
Brown sauce(vegan)
about 1/2 litre

Browning:
3tbsp margarine
4tbsp white flour

Melt the margarine in a frying pan or regular pan. When the margarine has stopped sizzleing(?), sift in the flour with a tea sift while whisking heavily. Keep the mixture moving so it don´t burn.
Keep doing this until you have a deep brown color.

Make sure you don´t have a too high heat.

When the browning is ready, you add 0,5 l water and a cube of bouillon.

You may add 3-4 finely chopped shallots. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
Let cook for 5-10 minutes until serving.
This sounds awesome, like making homemade gravy without the meat fat.

MissGuardian said:
Lasagna with bechamelsauce, mushrooms & beans
[thumbnail:1pvac22c]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/36300_4012858443341_210057603_n.jpg[/thumbnail:1pvac22c]
You can probably add cheese to it, but I haven´t found any that isn´t either tasteless or taste like vanilla :sick2: .I also replaced the kidney beans with black beans, because I like them better.
* the original recipe ACTUALLY says absurd amounts of mushrooms :giggle: Just use to taste.
** Mine was done after only half an hour.
Recipe:

Tomato sauce:
2 cans chopped, skinned tomatoes
4-5 tbsp tomato purè
3 large carrots
Absurd amounts of sliced mushrooms*
1 can drained and rinsed kidney beans
1 large onion
4-5 cloves of garlic, or to taste
2 cubes vegetable bouillon
salt, pepper, paprikapowder, onion powder
soy cream cheese or vegan sour cream(optional, but makes the sauce more creamy)

How to:

Slice the mushrooms, finely chop the onions and garlic. Finely chop the carrots.

Heat a fair bit of oil in a deep frying pan. Add a lot of paprikapowder, and a lot of pepper mix or black pepper. Let the oil get hot and add the mushrooms. Stir a lot so everything gets seasoned. You get another flavour when the spices are added before frying.

When the mushroom is well fryed, add onion, garlic, carrots and stir well. Let simmer a bit more, and add more oil if it gets too dry. Add the beans to a colander(?) and rinse them well. Rub them with a fork so they get partially crushed. Add the beans to the pan with the rest. Add the tomatoes, tomato purè and spices. Add the bouillon(I just crush them with my hands) and stir well. Let everything simmer while you make the bechamel sauce.

Bechamel sauce:
5-6 tbsp vegan margerine(I prefer Alpro)
4 tbsp white flour
plant milk(preferably soy) until desired consistency (about 6-7dl)
Lots of nutmeg(a couple of tsp)
2tsp onion powder
salt, pepper
3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast for cheese flavour

lasagna plates

How to:
melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Stir well and add a bit of soy milk and stir. When it thickens(and it does immideately), add more milk and stir well. don´t add all the milk at once, that´s how you get clumps in the sauce. The sauce should be smooth between every time you add more milk. When the sauce stops thickening too much, you add the spices and nutritional yeast. Let simmer for 6-7 minutes, so the flour taste disappears. Stir frequently so it don´t burn. Season to taste and set aside.

Set the oven to 200C(392 F?) and find an ovenproof dish.
Add a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom and cover with lasagna plates. Add white sauce over the plates and a layer of tomato sauce over that. Lasagna plates on top of that. Repeat until you´ve used up all the sauce, or run out of room(like I did!). Tomato sauce on top.
Cook in the oven for 45-50 minutes**, or until the plates feel soft when you poke them. Take out of the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Looks delicious! I'm not a fan of kidney beans so I'll try the black beans too.

jorats said:
This sounds awesome, like making homemade gravy without the meat fat.
Sounds about right? But we´ve never made gravy tho, so I can´t tell for sure. We just call it brown sauce here.. Never made it myself, so the consistency was a bit off, but that will hopefully improve with experience :)

jorats said:
Looks delicious! I'm not a fan of kidney beans so I'll try the black beans too.
Thanks!
I tend to substitute kidney beans for black beans in pretty much everything.. You probably could replace it with any bean tho :)

MissGuardian said:
Will try to post broccoli & caluiflower soup later this week if it turns out good.

What I've been doing with the cauliflower soup is adding steamed broccoli to it. It was delicious oh and string green beans too. :)

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
Will try to post broccoli & caluiflower soup later this week if it turns out good.

What I've been doing with the cauliflower soup is adding steamed broccoli to it. It was delicious oh and string green beans too. :)
:thumbup:
I love cauloflower and broccoli soup, but I´ve never tried homemade before :oops:

This is a great idea, Miss Guardian. I am always looking for inspiration for dinner and new ideas. I always want to make soup though, LOL. I love soup. I should share some of mine.

Moon said:
This is a great idea, Miss Guardian. I am always looking for inspiration for dinner and new ideas. I always want to make soup though, LOL. I love soup. I should share some of mine.

oh please do! I love soup and need some new ideas!!

Jo keep in mind if you don't want to make your own stock that you can get it in cartons. I make my own all the time though, in the crock pot, and freeze in various sized portions. Super handy.

Last night I made a heavily altered version of the Barefoot Contessa's Roasted Potato and Leek soup. It was incredibly rich when all was said and done, the boys really liked it. Definitely didn't suffer without the copious amount of dairy. I will have to write it out in proper format and share.

Tonight's meal is being taken from The Veganomicon. "Cauliflower and Mushroom Potpie with Black Olive Crust". Only thing is, I wont be using olives, and am debating on if I should just omit or mix in something like sauteed onions.

Oh, Miss Guardian, would you prefer I start my own thread for recipes to share or can I just post it here? I like the idea of having one recipe thread we can all go to :)

Back