MissGuardian's recipe thread!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
What exactly is vegetable stock and where can we get that?
I use bouillon(i think it's called that) but I really struggle to write it properly :oops: for me it's mostly the same thing.. Only stock for me is homemade :) I hope it makes it a bit clearer.. just read bouillon :wallbang:
What I use is this type of thing
bouillon-19400.jpg
or in cubes.. Not the same brand, but you get the point I hope :) I buy mine in regular grocery stores, in the soup/sauce section.

I hope that was of any help!
Yep, stock is homemade and bouillon is either powder/cubed/broth

Can you share how you make your homemade stock?

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
What exactly is vegetable stock and where can we get that?
I use bouillon(i think it's called that) but I really struggle to write it properly :oops: for me it's mostly the same thing.. Only stock for me is homemade :) I hope it makes it a bit clearer.. just read bouillon :wallbang:
What I use is this type of thing
bouillon-19400.jpg
or in cubes.. Not the same brand, but you get the point I hope :) I buy mine in regular grocery stores, in the soup/sauce section.

I hope that was of any help!
Yep, stock is homemade and bouillon is either powder/cubed/broth

Can you share how you make your homemade stock?
I added it yesterday :wink2:
I've never made it myself tho.. I just tend to mix the two..

I really love this recipe! At least now that I found out how to get it to stay together :giggle: It's also very filling, and keeps you full for pretty long. Replacing the bell peppers with 2-3 smallish carrots also work well.

Hazelnutcakes with rolled oats(Vegan)
[thumbnail:1kxcbrdx]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/421390_3426367061423_1731375588_n.jpg[/thumbnail:1kxcbrdx]
Ingredients:

150g hazelnuts
~ 4dl rolled oats
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
3 ss soyflour*
1 dl water
vegetable bouillon to taste
1 linseed «egg»**

how to:
*I just use regular white flour.
** Crush 1 ss linseeds(or buy pre crushed), mix with 2 ss water and let soak for 10 minutes. This makes the dough stay together a lot better.

Mix oats and ground hazelnuts, onion, flour and bouillon in a bowl.
Also mix in the bell pepper. Add water and and egg. stir well.

Shape to round cake/burgers and cook in oil on low/medium heat.

MissGuardian said:
I really love this recipe! At least now that I found out how to get it to stay together :giggle: It's also very filling, and keeps you full for pretty long. Replacing the bell peppers with 2-3 smallish carrots also work well.

[thumbnail:2gxng1zg]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/421390_3426367061423_1731375588_n.jpg[/thumbnail:2gxng1zg]
Ingredients:

150g hazelnuts
~ 4dl rolled oats
1 onion, finely chopped
3 ss soyflour*
1 dl water
1 linseed «egg»**

how to:
** Crush 1 ss linseeds(or buy pre crushed), mix with 2 ss water and let soak for 10 minutes. This makes the dough stay together a lot better.

This looks awesome!

1 dl = 1/2 cup?
What is ss?

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:

[thumbnail:1v5uygaf]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/421390_3426367061423_1731375588_n.jpg[/thumbnail:1v5uygaf]
Ingredients:

150g hazelnuts
~ 4dl rolled oats
1 onion, finely chopped
3 ss soyflour*
1 dl water
1 linseed «egg»**

how to:

This looks awesome!

1 dl = 1/2 cup?
What is ss?
yeah about 1/2 cup(0,4 cups or something).
ss is uhm.. table spoon? teaspoon in norwegian recipes is teaspoon, so I don't know how to translate it :oops:
you may need more or less water(I usually need more) so just try and see how much you need :wink:

MissGuardian said:
1 dl = 1/2 cup?
What is ss?
ss is uhm.. table spoon? teaspoon in norwegian recipes is teaspoon, so I don't know how to translate it :oops:
you may need more or less water(I usually need more) so just try and see how much you need :wink:[/quote]

Got it. We use tablespoon and teaspoon. Tbsp or tsp

jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
1 dl = 1/2 cup?
What is ss?
you may need more or less water(I usually need more) so just try and see how much you need :wink:

Got it. We use tablespoon and teaspoon. Tbsp or tsp[/quote]
I'll try to remember that, but if not, you've gotten the explanation :wallbang:
And I meant teaspon is ts.... :gaah: :oops:

MissGuardian said:
MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
1 dl = 1/2 cup?
What is ss?

So does dl stand for decilitre?
If so, then one dl would be 100 millilitres (ml)?

Joanne said:
MissGuardian said:
MissGuardian said:
jorats said:
MissGuardian said:
1 dl = 1/2 cup?
What is ss?

So does dl stand for decilitre?
If so, then one dl would be 100 millilitres (ml)?
Yep, that's correct. One easy way to find out, is to write for example "1,5dl in ml" or in cups or whaterever in google. It can convert lots of things :wink:

Petunia said:
mmm mmm sounds good!

got any soup recipes using leeks? I got a bunch at the farmer's market last night
:wink:
I think there are some in the spinach soup actually :laugh4:
I think it's also good in vegetable soup(There are leek in the frozen soup mix I usually use).
I'll try to translate it soon(possibly today)

MissGuardian said:
Petunia said:
mmm mmm sounds good!

got any soup recipes using leeks? I got a bunch at the farmer's market last night
I think it's also good in vegetable soup(There are leek in the frozen soup mix I usually use).

:cheeky: :lol:

I got some greens too, they're not spinach.. maybe swiss chard? the person selling it did not speak Engish and did not know what they would be called.
I should try to find a picture of them, they are very mild and deep dark green

oh my stomach is growling now! :nod: :giggle:

Petunia said:
MissGuardian said:
Petunia said:
mmm mmm sounds good!

:cheeky: :lol:

I got some greens too, they're not spinach.. maybe swiss chard? the person selling it did not speak Engish and did not know what they would be called.
I should try to find a picture of them, they are very mild and deep dark green

oh my stomach is growling now! :nod: :giggle:
:giggle: I love shopping in stores like that.. Always end up with a lot of things I have no idea what is.. The problem is they don't speak Norwegian, and I don't speak english :oops: :giggle:
I've never tasted swiss chard actually.
I'm translating the soup as we speak :thumbup:

I made without eggs and maizenna. I hope it's correctly translated.

Spinach soup
301254_3918917894886_1063575109_n.jpg

Serves: 3

Ingredients:

1 tbsp oil
1 small onion, finely chopped*
1/2 leek, finely sliced*
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large bag spinac, fresh & chopped*
1 carrot, finely diced
1/2 cauliflower, cut into small florets
8dl vegetable stock/bouillon
1 Tbsp maizenna mixed with 1/2 glass water(optional)
1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
3 eggs(optional)

I didn't bother chopping the onions/leek/spinach finely, since it sould be blended afterwards anyway(didn't chop the spinach at all actually)

How to:
heat some oil in a pan. Fry onion and leeks until soft. Add garlic and let fry on medium heat for a couple of minutes.

Add spinach. If you're using fresh, make sure it's rinsed properly first. If you're using frozen you can just add it as it is.

Add bouillon, carrots and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, and let simmer until the carrots and cauliflower is tender.

Add fresh parsley and stir. Blend the soup with a blender or stick blender. Bring to a boil again.
If you want to, you can add maizenna to thicken the soup. Remember to stir out the maizenna in cold water. Serve the soup as it is, or with halved boiled eggs.

I made mine without cheese. I've been eating leftovers most of the week :cheeky:
Shepherd's pie – vegetarian style

Serves: 4
408499_3923227442622_1536918200_n.jpg

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped*
2 cloves garlic, crushed
8 dl boiled lentils
5-6 tomatoes, diced
2 tsp cumin
salt & pepper
mashed potatoes(4 servings)
cheese for gratin(?)(optional)

How to:
preheat the oven to 220C(~428 F?). Heat the oil in a frying pan and add onions.

Let the onion fry on medium heat until soft. Add garlic and let it fry for a couple of minutes, but make sure it don't get burned.

Add diced tomatoes, and let simmer on medium heat until soft. Add cumin and stir well.
Add boiled lentils, stir and let simmer for a couple of minutes.

Add the lentils to a ovenproof dish.

Make mashed potatoes. If you make them yourself, you can make them a bit coarse. Spread the potatoes as a lid over the lentils. If you want to, you can top with a bit of shredded cheese.

Put the dish in the middle of the oven, and let cook for about 20 minutes.

I served it with fresh parsley, and a green salad topped with roasted sesame oil

Back