MissGuardian's recipe thread!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissGuardian

Since there seems to be a few vegetarians/vegans here, I thought I could make a thread about what I make for dinner.. If anyone's interested :stickpoke:

[highlight=#ff4040:1n9jqc5q]The recipes are translated to English, so they might not be written the way you're used to.. :oops:[/highlight:1n9jqc5q]

Cauliflowersoup

Serves 2

Ingredients:
250g cauliflower
2 potatoes
6 dl vegetable stock/water + bouillon
0,5 dl cream
salt & pepper

How to:

Rinse the cauliflower, and divide into florets. Peal the potatoes, and cut into smaller pieces.

Bring the stock to a boil, and add the vegetables. Let cook under lid for about 10 minutes, until everyting is tender.

Pick out a few of the smallest florets, and put aside.

Put the rest of the soup in a blender etc, and blend until smooth.
Add the cream and let cook for a couple more minutes. Season with salt & pepper.

Serve right away, and add the remaining florets for decoration.

I'm not vegan, but its defiently an idea for those who aren't vegan/veggie, to post baker recipies too :D i love a good pastry recipe!

Mushroom & garlic pie with polenta
Serves ~3
[thumbnail:1wlkmfdy]https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/s720x720/179161_3618419262608_1430041823_n.jpg[/thumbnail:1wlkmfdy]
Ingredients:

Pie dough:
2,5dl fine flour(you can mix some whole grain flour in, but it gets a bit harder to work with)
1 ts salt
50g vegan butter/margarine
0,5 dl vegan cooking cream

Mix flour and salt in a bowl. Crumble the butter in, and mix quickly until a firm dough you can make a ball of.

push the dough evenly into a pie pan(?)..

Vegetables:
10 large mushrooms, sliced
4 fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped
a bit of salt + pepper

Heat oil in a large frying pan. fry mushrooms until golden.
Add garlic in the last minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Polentamix:
4 dl water
2ts bouillon powder(vegan)
1dl polenta(corn flour)

add water and bouillon powder to a pan, heat until boiling
whisk in the polenta(*!!) and cook for about 3 minutes, whisking frequently until it looks like a porridge.

*!! you have to whisk A LOT until mixed, or you’ll get clumps that are almost impossible to get out again.

Assembly:
Add the mushroom mix to pot with polenta and mix well.
add the filling to the pie shell.
Cook on 200 C in 20-30 minutes. The pie crust should becone golden brown.

Serve with a good salad.

EDK said:
I'm not vegan, but its defiently an idea for those who aren't vegan/veggie, to post baker recipies too :D i love a good pastry recipe!
I'm awful at baking :roll: The only thing I make is pie and sodabread :giggle: I can add that tho!(the pie I've already added)

White bean soup with cauliflower

Serves 4

Ingredients:

~0,5 cup(1dl) dried white beans
1 Shallot onion
2 cloves of garlic
Oil for frying
~ 6 cups(1,5 litre) water with vegetable stock(powder)
1 cauliflower
salt & pepper
Nutmeg
Lemon

How to:

* soak the beans overnight
finely chop shallots and garlic. Heat a bit of oil in a pan, and fry until soft.

* Add beans and vegetable stock. The water should cover at least a couple of inches over the beans.

* Rins the cauliflower and divide in pieces. When the beans have cooked 30-45 minutes, add the cauliflower.
Add more water if needed. Cook until tender. Pick out a few pieces for decoration.

* strain out the stock, but save it. Add the beans and cauliflower in blender(or similar) and run until smooth.
pour back in the pan, and thin with the stock you saved, until desired consistency. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon to taste.
Serve hot with the cauliflower you saved.

I make a sweet apple pie :D no eggs or margiran/butter, if at all else, the crust is glazed with white egg

Cottage Pie
Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 dl lentils
1 shallot onion
1 chinese garlic(or a couple of cloves of regular garlic)
150 grams various mushrooms
2 ss oil for frying
2 ss soy sauce
Thyme
salt & pepper
200g spinach
mashed potatoes

How to:
Preheat the oven to 200 C. Find an ovenproof dish.

Boil the lentils until tender, about 15 minutes. Strain the water and put the lentils aside.

Finely chop onion and garlic. Coarsely chop the mushrooms.

Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add onion, garlic and mushroom. Fry on medium heat until the onions are soft, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the lentils.

Finely chop the thyme and add. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Coarsely chop the spinach and add to the pan. Let simmer for a few minutes.

Add the lentil- and mushroom mix to the bottom of the dish, and add the mashed potatoes on top.

Cook in oven for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are golden.

Serve warm.

jorats said:
What exactly is vegetable stock and where can we get that?
I use bouillon(i think it's called that) but I really struggle to write it properly :oops: for me it's mostly the same thing.. Only stock for me is homemade :) I hope it makes it a bit clearer.. just read bouillon :wallbang:
What I use is this type of thing
bouillon-19400.jpg
or in cubes.. Not the same brand, but you get the point I hope :) I buy mine in regular grocery stores, in the soup/sauce section.

I hope that was of any help!

Thought I'd try a recipe for vegetable stock too.. I haven't tried it myself tho.

Homemade vegetable stock

40g unsalted butter
1ss olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 leeks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 fennel, chopped
1 hand fresh parsley
4 fresh bay leaves OR 2 dried
2 stems(?) thyme

How to:
Heat oil and butter in a big pan. Add garlic, let it simmer for 2 minutes, and add the rest of the ingredients. Fry while stirring frequently until soft, but not brown.

Add 3 litres of water, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down, add a lid and let simmer for 1,5 hours. Cool the stock.

Put the pan back on the heat and let it simmer for 15 minuttes.
Strain the stock and put it back in the pan. Throw away the strained vegetables.
Let the stock boil furiously(?) until reduced to half the amount.

Use immideately or cool and keep in fridge for up to 3 days.

I love this recipe! I usually make it a bit too salty tho :giggle:

Mushroom risotto
Serves 4
[thumbnail:3aa23lu9]https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/546371_3877127410150_954590833_n.jpg[/thumbnail:3aa23lu9]

1 litre vegetable bouillon
50g dried mushrooms(I used porcino & chanterelle)
25g margerine(preferably vegan)
1ss olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
300g risotto rice
¾ dry white wine(I just left it out)
75g parmesan, shredded + some extra for decoration*
salt & pepper

How to:
add the bouillon and dried mushrooms to a pan, and soak for 10 minutes. Strain the mushrooms away, but keep the buillon(I usually strain the stock through a fine strainer after removing the mushrooms – to remove any impurities). Gently heat the stock to boiling point. Keep warm.

Melt half the butter with the oil in a wide pan(I use a big frying pan with high edges). Add garlic and onions, fry on medium heat until soft.

Add rice and stir until all the rice is coated in butter and oil.
Add one ladle of the bouillon and let simmer while stirring until absorbed. Keep doing this for 15-20 minutes, until all is absorbed and rice is tender.

In the meantime, chop the mushrooms in smaller pieces if needed.

Add the muschrooms, white wine, the rest of the butter and the parmesan in the risotto. Add salt & pepper to taste. Stir gently for 2 minutes.

* you could probably use nutritional yeast for cheese flavor to make it vegan. Think I'm gonna try that next time.

Petunia said:
what is risotto rice? can you use any long cooking rice? I get short and long grain, but just plain rice (not basmati sp? or brown rice)
There are several kinds of risotto rice, I use arborio(?) rice, because that is easiest to get a hold of.
it shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of, but I don't know the price(shouldn't be very expensive, but I've never checked).
I find it in most grocery stores where the rice/pasta is :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risotto

MissGuardian said:
Petunia said:
what is risotto rice? can you use any long cooking rice? I get short and long grain, but just plain rice (not basmati sp? or brown rice)
There are several kinds of risotto rice, I use arborio(?) rice, because that is easiest to get a hold of.
it shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of, but I don't know the price(shouldn't be very expensive, but I've never checked).

oh good, that's what I have :lol:
I never looked at the name of it, I just check to see if it's long grain or short
I like both

I don't make risotto very often but luckily I have the right kind of rice for it :D

i'm gonna make that instead of the Spanish rice I"d planned to make

Petunia said:
MissGuardian said:
Petunia said:

oh good, that's what I have :lol:
I never looked at the name of it, I just check to see if it's long grain or short
I like both

I don't make risotto very often but luckily I have the right kind of rice for it :D

i'm gonna make that instead of the Spanish rice I"d planned to make
:giggle: That's good! I tried not stirring the last time, but "agitating"(shaking the pan instead of stirring) the rice, and I think It got better by that too :giggle: Now if I could just remember not to salt as much.... :emb:

MissGuardian said:

Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 Shallot onion
2 cloves of garlic
Oil for frying
1 cauliflower
salt & pepper
Nutmeg
Lemon

How to:

finely chop shallots and garlic. Heat a bit of oil in a pan, and fry until soft.

* Add beans and vegetable stock. The water should cover at least a couple of inches over the beans.

* Rins the cauliflower and divide in pieces. When the beans have cooked 30-45 minutes, add the cauliflower.
Add more water if needed. Cook until tender. Pick out a few pieces for decoration.

* strain out the stock, but save it. Add the beans and cauliflower in blender(or similar) and run until smooth.
pour back in the pan, and thin with the stock you saved, until desired consistency. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon to taste.

:gaah: I don't have any cauliflower! I thought I had some in the freezer

So now I have white bean soup, which is actually pretty tasty :nod: but tomorrow or the next day, I know I'm going to want something else with it, would it be ok with um, carrots added?

I can't think of what else would go with it- cauliflower would be perfect but I hadn't planned on going shopping again til next week

hmm.....
maybe I can find ideas on the "interwebs" :giggle:

Petunia said:
MissGuardian said:

Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 Shallot onion
2 cloves of garlic
Oil for frying
1 cauliflower
salt & pepper
Nutmeg
Lemon

How to:

:gaah: I don't have any cauliflower! I thought I had some in the freezer

So now I have white bean soup, which is actually pretty tasty :nod: but tomorrow or the next day, I know I'm going to want something else with it, would it be ok with um, carrots added?

I can't think of what else would go with it- cauliflower would be perfect but I hadn't planned on going shopping again til next week

hmm.....
maybe I can find ideas on the "interwebs" :giggle:
It should be okay. if not, you'll find out the same way I am :giggle: I tend to put whatever I have in the soups if I don't have what I was supposed to :wink2: trying to make the risotto vegan now!

Back