Her eye is going to burst! Update: RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if I should have pushed for the removal of Butter Bean's eye... maybe he would be in better shape today had we gone through with it, instead of trying to medicate.
Sending lots of healing vibes!

As far as the actual eye surgery itself, everything looks to be healing just fine. BUT poor Jez seems to be going downhill otherwise.

Yesterday, she went from zero head-tilt to "my head is so tilty its upside down" - she's listing very heavily to the right, the same side as her removed eye. She's having a hard time moving in a straight line. She'll start circling to the right, but then will try to correct herself. And she kept walking off the play table. Her coordination in her cage is pretty bad - she's moving about like a complete drunkard, but she's managing to get in/out of her hammocks.

I'm starting to wonder if I was truly seeing the beginning of PT symptoms before this whole eye ordeal. In any case, I weaned her off the metacam, and will give pred a try.

Are you sure she doesn't have an ear infection? It seems we have a few threads going where ear infections are simultaneous with other issues in the head/face.

We had started her on a baytril/doxy combo earlier last week for a possible ear infection - she was having some issues aiming her mouth for treats. She didn't have a head-tilt then though.

I've only heard about bromo here on the forum - haven't heard it mentioned yet in my local rodent circles. The go-to med around here is the predisone.

Hmm, guess I'll have to see if there's any improvement with the pred. I'm not completely ruling out an inner ear infection, but its weird that she'd get worse after anesthesia especially since she's been on antibiotics already.

Will have to figure out who around here prescribes bromo in case her condition worsens.

You havwe to go to your vet and ask for it...they will then contact Godmother's vet or mine (www.drmunn.ca) for dosages, etc. Then they will order the bromo in from a human pharmacy or you can ask for a prescription for 2.5 mg tablets of bromocriptine to fil yourself. Ask if you can get a dex injection before starting the pred. Poor lass. Godmothers Stella had a lump removed while on bromo for PT with no issues :thumbup:

I actually printed out everything known to man about bromo and gave it to my vet. He was very excited to read about it. He has dr. munns information if he never needs it. Maybe your vet would be happy about that too?

Poor baby. I'm super glad the eye is ok now. I'm sure she'll do better- with so much pain, stress, etc. in the pastfew days, I'm sure it's all piling on to make the symptoms a lot worse than the cause...

*Sigh* The pred didn't seem to help at all - she started rolling soon after my last update. Tried to make the jump to dexamethasone, but we had to wait til the pred was out her system, and then there was another delay thanks to a hiccup on my end.

Finally got Jez her first shot of dex last night, and I saw slight improvement this morning. We'll have to see.

At the very least, Jez is still very enthusiastic about her food, although its taking her a lot longer to eat. And her buddy Jonah is being such a good boy. He's become her official pillow and stabilizer - if she's cuddled on top of him, he won't budge, even when I shake the treat jar. And speaking of treats, he hasn't made a single attempt to steal her food, even when she's got something yummy.

Back