Her eye is going to burst! Update: RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

ARGHHHH! Can't get to a vet til the morning! All that's open right now are the emergency clinics and they don't know anything about rodents.

Got home to find Jezebel's bad eye looking like this! What do I do? It was not swollen at all this morning. Was prescribed eye drops by the vet yesterday, and so far has had three doses in both eyes. HELPHELPHELP!

eye01_zps55ed0e46.jpg

eye02_zps73100c2e.jpg

Yes, lots of pain killers. Someone just had an eye burst on here - who was that? Watch for bleeding if it does rupture, you may need to apply pressure to control it. Gosh, I'm so sorry for your girl!

dspch911 said:
Might help, doesn't your vet have an answering service that can direct you to another facility?

Yes, but it directs me to emergency clinics that don't know how to treat rats, or hamsters for that matter. Learned that the hard way.

Your vet will have to do an enucleation tomorrow, are they prepared? Lots of metacam for discomfort and swelling and hopefully she will leave it alone overnight. Put her on fleece or fabric.

She's currently curled up on top of him right now. They do duke it out occasionally though.

Just emailed my vet - he's pretty good about getting back to me fast. Crossing my fingers that he actually works tomorrow.

That is terrifying I freaked when I seen the picture. Healing vibes from ALL my rats and we know there are tons here.

rhapsody said:
She's currently curled up on top of him right now. They do duke it out occasionally though.

Just emailed my vet - he's pretty good about getting back to me fast. Crossing my fingers that he actually works tomorrow.

leave them together, I am sure she won't feel like duking it out and he will just be her comforting pillow.

I went through something similar but we ended up not needing to do the enucleation. Butter Beans eye did kind of rupture but ut was more bleeding than a real rupture. I applied pressure to the eye gently when it was bleeding. I kept him warm and hydrated. I also tried to keep the eye lubed up. Bay trial and clavamox helped a lot. I have some pics on my thread. I'll link it here in a sec. His eye did bug out at one point but after the bleeding it went back down.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32685

No blood yet, but it does look like there's a huge amount of pressure building up in her eye. What kind of lube did you use? I'm a bit hesitant to use the ones prescribed ...

Poor baby. Sending comforting vibes to her (and you!) I hope your vet is available in the a.m to remove the eye..I can't imagine it can be saved at this point. I remember the feeling I had when I found my Quinn with his eye fit to burst...ugh. *hugs*

Back