Her eye is going to burst! Update: RIP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone! Holy moly, its been a very stressful night and morning.

jennifervb said:
WOW.... an eye like that would have sent me into cardiac arrest!!! I've never seen anything like it! :shock:

Thanks for sharing (even though I have just lost any appetite for a late lunch... lol.... :sick2: )

I'm so happy that Jez is ok. Poor baby. Any idea what caused it? :hugs:

I'm not going to lie - I nearly fainted when I checked up on Jezebel last night when I got home from work. It looked like her eye was about to explode into a bloody mess. I was super hesitant to even pick her up because it looked like the slightest pressure would cause it to erupt.

That eye had been weirdly cloudy several days prior, and I had been prescribed eye drops for it. No clue what triggered the humongous swelling in a period of nine hours.

I'm so glad she's going to be fine; what a horrible thing for both of you to go through. Did the vet have any idea if it was infection causing it? I only had something similar happen to one of my boy rats a number of years ago and the vets would not consider an enucleation, even though I argued with them to at least try. They insisted it was 'something else going on', and because he was in great pain, I had to put him down because they wouldn't consider anything else. I felt terrible. I'm so glad your vet was willing to do the surgery. Healing vibes to you both.

rhapsody said:
I'm not going to lie - I nearly fainted when I checked up on Jezebel last night when I got home from work. It looked like her eye was about to explode into a bloody mess. I was super hesitant to even pick her up because it looked like the slightest pressure would cause it to erupt.

That eye had been weirdly cloudy several days prior, and I had been prescribed eye drops for it. No clue what triggered the humongous swelling in a period of nine hours.

Ooh if it was cloudy it might have been an injury then. Eyes go fast and scary...so glad you have a great vet :D

We're finally home! Gosh, I really hate bringing kiddos on public transit - the smell of fears poos make for a very interesting ride. Vet was gone by the time I was able to pick her up, so I don't know all the juicy details of her messed up eye yet. She's got some nylon (?) sutures around her eye socket to close it up.

Anyhoo, here's my brave little swashbuckler:

removed03_zps8018ed01.jpg

removed01_zps86d9954f.jpg

removed02_zps6d50e410.jpg

Poor baby with her face all swollen - but I'm sure she's sooooo glad that huge pressure is gone!

Fingers crossed that she heals up quickly and thoroughly, and that she's back to her sweet self in no time.

lilspaz68 said:
Lots of metacam, antibiotics and love. I am sure you will nervously sniff near her eye for infection like I di as well. :giggle: How is she acting?

It took her a long while to settle down from the subway ride last night, but this morning she seemed to be back to her normal self. Took me absolutely forever to extract her from her precious sputnik this morning though - she's not a fan of the meds. She's begging for treats which is always a good thing, and her aim seems to be getting better (she was missing by several centimeters earlier this week). Her buddy Jonah is on his best behaviour - he's letting Jez use him as a pillow, and lets her get the treats first.

M0onkist said:
Fingers crossed that she heals up quickly and thoroughly, and that she's back to her sweet self in no time.

HAW! Sweet? I wish! Jezebel was such a crotchety brat to both humans and rats alike that the rescue nicknamed her "Skinny B***h" during the time that she was in their care. She was deemed unadoptable due to her vicious biting, which is why I ended up taking her in. The more mellow she is, the more worried I get!

Back