Eve - dead uterus from overbreeding - recovered from surgery

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vet isn't sure what the problem is.
Islandview has two clinics so Eve is on clavamox and is scheduled for an ultrasound at the other vet clinic tomorrow.
(Jubilee & Sunny are also going along for xrays.)
Eve has two lumps in her uterus ... could be babies, could be infection, etc .... he wasn't able to hear any heart beats except Eve's.

Poor Eve. Sorry there was no answer today. Tylenol is MUCH safer than codiene for the babies.
Can the vet do an e-spay tomorrow if need be?

He said that if there is an infection, a spay would be higher risk so it would be better to deal with the infection first.
Hopefully we will know enough tomorrow to make good decisions for Eve.
His schedule is full but they squeezed Eve in.
I am confident that he will make sure Eve receives whatever care she needs.

Eve is feeling better tonight.
Hoping that she will be ok no matter what is going on.

Dropped the ratties off at the vet as the only opening they had is at 3:30.
I have class until 4:30 so we will all be waiting ..feeling quite anxious .....
Eve looked bigger this morning but I didn't have time to weigh her.

Just back from picking up the ratties at the vet.
Sunny and Jubilee both look better ... so their meds are doing a good job.

Eve is scheduled for a spay (uterus & ovaries) tomorrow afternoon.
It will be dangerous given the condition of her uterus but much more dangerous to wait.
Her uterus is huge!! No evidence of any babies in there, no little skeletons, etc in the ultrasound or xray and he couldn't hear any heart beats.
I will start handfeeding the babies tomorrow as they will not be able to be with their mom until she has healed since they will try to nurse.
Fortunately they have started to lick baby food out of a dish so it won't be as difficult as it would have been earlier this week.

Anyone have any info. or suggestions?
What problems will Eve have because she is stopping nursing early and abruptly?
Risk of infection to her breasts? Pain?

SQ said:
Just back from picking up the ratties at the vet.
Sunny and Jubilee both look better ... so their meds are doing a good job.

Eve is scheduled for a spay (uterus & ovaries) tomorrow afternoon.
It will be dangerous given the condition of her uterus but much more dangerous to wait.
Her uterus is huge!! No evidence of any babies in there, no little skeletons, etc in the ultrasound or xray and he couldn't hear any heart beats.
I will start handfeeding the babies tomorrow as they will not be able to be with their mom until she has healed since they will try to nurse.
Fortunately they have started to lick baby food out of a dish so it won't be as difficult as it would have been earlier this week.

Anyone have any info. or suggestions?
What problems will Eve have because she is stopping nursing early and abruptly?
Risk of infection to her breasts? Pain?

I doubt it...the surgery will likely just stop everything cold.

Maybe a retained placenta from her last litter, and she became infected? I am glad she is being spayed. Good luck little one!

So glad that she doesn't have to wait for the surgery. Poor sweetheart, she has been through so much already. Luckily she has nursed her babies into good health, and they will be fine with your TLC

I feel better knowing that she's going to have surgery tomorrow. I'm sure your vet will do his best. I think it's her best chance at survival.

We've seen so many rats with tumors in their uteruses... It's so worth it to get them spayed. The babies should be fine, keep them on high protein for quite a while since they will miss out some but they did got a good start.

Back