Eve - dead uterus from overbreeding - recovered from surgery

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Eve is bleeding dark red blood, she is very tired.
Aaron has blood on his head, looks like it was from trying to nurse while mom was bleeding.
Waiting for emergency vet to call back.

Damn! So sorry Holly - was wondering if something was wrong. Can rats have miscarriages? What is the possibility of doing an e-spay and the babies still being able to nurse?

Bleeding is now spotting large drops.
I too was wondering if something was wrong which is why I had the soonest appointments possible for her.

I don't know what is wrong .... babies are 19 days old today so too early for a back to back itter.
Vet on call knows nothing about rats and they can not reach my vet who is likely asleep as he was on call all weekend and then had to work today.

Any suggestions?
Looks like I will be up all night.

As for Aaron and Moses, I can hand feed again if necessary and they can also eat some baby cereal and soy infant formula.

If Eve is bleeding, then I would try and guard against shock. Keep her warm and hydrated, and feed her if she'll eat to keep her energy up.
I would probably start her on antibiotics unless there's a problem with that and nursing. Just in case there's an infection causing this.
And supplement the babies so they will nurse as little as possible.
Good luck! Keeping my fingers crossed that Eve will get to enjoy her new life that is waiting for her!

Thanks Joanne.
Eve seems to have stopped bleeding for the moment and is eating some baby cereal.
I am going to mix up some more and make it quite liquidy with the soy infant formula.
Fortunately at present she doesn't seem to need me to intervene too much.
I will be trying to feed the boys by hand or to get them to eat or drink on their own.
Not sure about antibiotics and safety and neither was the vet I spoke with.

Let's hope that her bleeding won't start again, so that you can get her to the vet tomorrow. Poor sweetheart, she has been through so much already.

I know that Baytril is contraindicated for babies, but maybe Clavamox would be a good choice for Eve because it is safe for babies.

Zithromax and Amoxicillin are both pediatric friendly for pregnant/nursing moms and babies. I found amoxi worked well for URI's.

How much blood was there? is it possible its just a genital myco outbreak? I am hoping she didn't retain a dead pup for the last 19 days. Any smell from her nether bits?

If sweet little Eve needs an e-spay, the boys will be fine with some hand-feeding for a few days, then you can get them eating/drinking out of dishes. They are nice chubby healthy lads and should do fine now without their mom's milk.

I would advise finding some foods with vitamin K (for clotting) and getting it into her.

is she eating/drinking etc?

She is now doing owie stretches :sad3: and lots of yawning and bruxing :sad3:
She is taking baby cereal mixed with formula from the dish and from me.
Mostly she lies there and looks miserable.
She does have a vet apt tomorrow afternoon but I would like to get her in first thing in the am.

Some blood, likely not enough to be dangerous yet.
No smell, no pus, etc.

Godmother, do you have any clavamox or zithro? I am out.
Just baytril and chlorpalm.
I also have codene I can mix up if that was a good idea.

SQ said:
She is now doing owie stretches :sad3:
She is taking baby cereal mixed with formula from the dish and from me.
Mostly she lies there and looks miserable.
She does have a vet apt tomorrow afternoon but I would like to get her in first thing in the am.

Some blood, likely not enough to be dangerous yet.
No smell, no pus, etc.

Godmother, do you have any clavamox or zithro? I am out.
Just baytril and chlorpalm.
I also have codene I can mix up if that was a good idea.[/quote

She sounds like she needs pain meds...but the babies have to stop nursing for sure.

Yes .... she is lying in my arms and not moving while I pet her ... not normal behaviour.

If she starts to get dehydrated I can give sub Q fluids.
Do you suggest starting her on clavamox and codene??
Wondering because of the boys and also in case she is pregnant.

SQ said:
Yes .... she is lying in my arms and not moving while I pet her ... not normal behaviour.

If she starts to get dehydrated I can give sub Q fluids.
Do you suggest starting her on clavamox and codene??
Wondering because of the boys and also in case she is pregnant.

I would start her on it, but the boys need to be removed so they don't get any codeine through her milk.

Wondering if tylenol might be better re babies and good enough for Eve's pain?

Godmother just dropped off clavamox and I am heading to the drug store for tylenol before they close.

Eve is doing about the same ... (I was up until 4:30)
She wants her babies and they want her. (All 3 are trying to reach one another through the cage bars :(
Gave her the lower end of the dosing range of tylenol last night.
Off to the vet soon.
Hope whatever is wrong can be easily resolved ... there are so many things it could be.
She has gone from 379 g to 417 g in less then 2 weeks ....
Haven't given tylenol or clavamox yet this morning as waiting to see what vet says.
She hasn't started to bleed again.

Back