Crumbilina's Rattums

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! You've got some gorgeous rats! Ah Nanuk...that's the guy we were talking about on Saturday. Funny he's a PEW my three I was telling you about were also PEWs. lol

Hiku is beautiful! You're lucky are you far enough away from me, and they my boyfriend says no more rats! Otherwise I'd be kidnapping that boy!

Thanks everyone, they are quite the crew. I'll update a bit later on the oldies and Sadie's crew. Need to clean them out first LOL.

jorats said:
Wow! You've got some gorgeous rats! Ah Nanuk...that's the guy we were talking about on Saturday. Funny he's a PEW my three I was telling you about were also PEWs. lol

Yes, thats Nanuk... Love the little guy but man is he ever a stinker! I moved Remy and Smudge so hopefully his craziness will go down a bit. Remy has a very powerful old man smell that I think may have been bothering him. Maybe if he is further away from him, that will help?
Either way, I just cleaned out the single CN and put new, clean stuff in and both him and Hiku have been in there for 15 minutes now. There has been some puffiness and one huff at me, but thats it - no wet sides even. A bit of rubbing by the ladder. I was able to touch him and pet him too in the new cage, so fingers crossed. I think that his issues are primarily cage related. When he was taken out of the cage before the cleaning he was putting up a huge fuss, then, once in the carrier which was marked with Neko's scent, no huffing, no puffing... seriously, a different rat. He is very different outside the cage vs inside. Sweet boy out, and a puffball in LOL.

Your latest additions are all just so gorgeous! I'm glad they're silly, rambunctious kids - SO fun to watch! Perhaps just one neuter in the works?

Joanne said:
Your latest additions are all just so gorgeous! I'm glad they're silly, rambunctious kids - SO fun to watch! Perhaps just one neuter in the works?

Neuters were done mid August - Vic had them done for me before they came here since I have intact females here. Having intact of both makes me nervous, I do NOT want a litter >.<. Actually, Im starting a new rule here where all males and females must be fixed. I think this might help me keep my numbers down... lol (maybe?). All the other girls and boys are spayed/neutered. The only 2 left are Peeka and Boo and right now they are still little.

They are all quite fun to watch!

Now that I am home for a while, it was time that I started some intros between my groups. Intro day number 1 between Sadie's crew (Tia, Maddy, Maya, Mika and Sadie) and Dill's crew (Peeka, Boo and Dill) was yesterday and it went surprisingly well. We started off in the bathtub for about 30 minutes. The problem with this was that they seemed to really miss me while I was gone last week so they would not stop trying to crawl out of the tub onto me preventing them from interacting with eachother very much. So after 30 minute of battling with Peeka and Boo especially, I decided to move to the other washroom (the rat proofed one).
So we moved. This allowed everyone who wanted to to climb all over me, but still interact with one another. We were in there for about an hour with no incident. Finally after an hour Dill pinned Sadie who screamed and ended up quite frightened. I separated them and waited until everyone calmed down before packing everyone up and taking them to their cages. It was time to stop anyway - Boo kept trying to eat my toes.
All in all things went quite well. I think they should all be together in the cage by the end of the week/weekend.

Here are some pics :D
Everyone in the tub
DSC_0541_zpsea8dd510.jpg

DSC_0544_zpsc6d23ed7.jpg

DSC_0546_zps58b361b4.jpg

DSC_0548_zps0200e7ba.jpg

DSC_0552_zpsa9c83a53.jpg

Boo trying to get out of the tub
DSC_0550_zps1fdaf5b0.jpg

DSC_0557_zps6a525adc.jpg

Peeka trying to get out of the tub
DSC_0556_zps193bee3a.jpg

And in the bathroom playing together
DSC_0558_zps3c5c65b7.jpg

DSC_0559_zpsf0abdb5a.jpg

DSC_0560_zps34b50802.jpg

:D

LOL I spoke too soon on the ease of this intro.

Turns out Sadie and Dill are having issues with one another, so I will be doing separate, extra lap intros with those 2 for a while. Sadie has no issues with anyone else (even when Boo is acting super rude and bouncing all over her) and Dill is also fine with everyone else. This makes sense as they both are the dominant one in each cage. Once they work out their issues things will be better, but hopefully by doing the lap intros, their tussles will be less severe when they are with everyone else. Right now they both appear to be terrified of each other or something. I dunno, they both freeze, the eyes get huge and no one moves for like 20 minutes. It's silly. We will see how the lap intros help this :)

Such great pictures! You have two very pretty groups of ladies!
Good luck with intros! Sounds like it will go very smoothly once Dill and Sadie work out whos boss haha

Intro 3 between Sadie's crew and Dill's crew went well. Boo was the little bugger in this case, but that may have been partly my fault - She got really worked up when we were playing and as a result was a bit over excited when with everyone so she was kind of annoying. All in all there were really no issues this time except for Boo being excited and nipping my poor half nakie girls.

Mika took a pretty huge step today. She scaled up the boxes to where the TP roll was and she looked very proud of her accomplishment. Normally she hides or sticks to the shadows, but today she was out in the open and interacted with everyone, which was great.
Here she is with the TP
photo_zpsc31d6dfa.jpg

I neglected to mention that before my trip to Iceland, I had Remy and Smudge pts. Their tumours were just too large and were increasing in number. Smudge was up to 9 tumours total! They each had one on their left hip and these were firmly attached. My poor sweet ratters. They are missed, but it was for the best - those tumours were just getting too large.

Neko, Basil and Abby are doing well. Abby was started on bromo a week before I left and seems to be doing well. She has stopped outright biting and is only PT biting now, which I can handle. Her eye is a bit scary though - if I miss just one dose of dex it swells up and looks horrifying. Neko has been on bromo since June and is still going strong. He is so thin and walks all wobbly, but he is bright and happy. Eats like a pig, but never gains. Basil... is Basil. He is fat and happy, although upset with me because he finished his meds and so he doesn't get his sugary treat 2 times a day anymore.
Neko
DSC_0563_zps9771509a.jpg

DSC_0571_zpsadbe05b1.jpg

DSC_0578_zpsc9c663d3.jpg

Abby
DSC_0589_zps7fb765ad.jpg

DSC_0564_zps2f6101bd.jpg

You can see how much larger her eye is here
DSC_0565_zps1187deb6.jpg

Basil
DSC_0573_zpsee5e6e47.jpg

DSC_0574_zps96774060.jpg

DSC_0598_zpsa71e64f3.jpg

DSC_0588_zps1979c29c.jpg

And when Basil, Abby and Neko went back to their cage, Peeka was being cute and Dill actually posed for a picture. Boo was FAST asleep in the sputnik - I guess she was worn out.
Peeka sits and watches me whenever I am in the room. Always at the door... waiting this time with Dill.
DSC_0203_zps77aeca13.jpg

I open the door hoping to get the same shot without the bars... of course not! duh!
DSC_0205_zps031508b8.jpg

So I close the door again, and she poses all cute
DSC_0208_zps68b09c22.jpg

And I open the door and she moves again!!! I think she just acts cute to make me open the door!
DSC_0214_zpsabda12e6.jpg

DSC_0216_zps9c45915a.jpg

And look at this! A NICE picture of Dill!!!
DSC_0218_zps4732676a.jpg

Thats all for pictures, but there are still 3 rats to update you on.
First is my lovely Ruby who does not like my camera. All I ever get is butt pics or pictures of a hammock with a lump tucked into it. Ruby was supposed to go in for a tumour removal surgery a couple weeks ago but I ended up cancelling it. There is another lump on her other side that is very attached but still quite small and is not growing fast. She also seems quite frail lately and its hard to tell if she is feeling... well. Every couple days she needs a dose of metacam and then she will be fine for a while. The vet saw her no too long ago and gave her a clean bill of health to go through with the surgery, but... the gut is telling me no and the people who I have talked to agree. So just lots of loving for my lovely Ruby. She is just happy to sit on the couch with me, tucked under my chin. She bruxxes and boggles for hours like this.

Next are Nanuk and Hiku, my Montreal boyos. They are doing very well. Hiku is adorable! I need to get a video of him playing to post. Its intense, but he has so much fun. Nanuk is getting a lot better with me. He still huffs at the cage door but only when it is closed and I'm very close by. If I open the cage door he doesn't huff, but his fur is still a bit raised. He lets me touch him sometimes in the cage, other times I have to give him a bunch of food so his mouth is full before I lift him out. As long as I have treats to give him, he will not puff or huff at me so I'm using that to my advantage. Slowly he is coming along :) I see a nice boy in the not too distant future. Plus Hiku keeps him in line anyway.

So, thats the update on my crew and intros :) A few more intros that are uneventful and ill break down that dCN, clean it and open it up for all of them. I'm excited. I haven't ever had a fully opened dCN!

Back