Crumbilina's Rattums

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got a bit busy and really wasn't able to get pics of everyone. I'll try for it this weekend. The babies are growing up so fast!

Bur for now, here is Mia. She has been alone since Ava passed and she would lunge at me anytime I was near her. Recently she has stopped the lunging and hasn't tried to bite me for some time, even if my hand is in front of her face within reach. I let her out onto the floor in the rat room yesterday because she has mild HED and really... where could she go that I couldnt get her? I was supervising her anyway. I think she had fun! She seemed bright and interested and has been a lot brighter since I have been having her out to run around - It was really difficult before since I really couldnt handle her unless I was able to pick her up a certain way. She still has a PT but the bromocriptine has been doing AMAZING things for her. She was off it for a month too (I couldn't get the meds into her no matter how hard I tried) and it took the full month for her to regress to a point where she needed to be put back on it. I am able to force medicate now so she will not be missing any of her meds from here on in either. She looks amazing considering it was in December that she started the bromo, and was off for all of March.

[BBvideo 450,375:2zuyfvk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAjkucKdkc0[/BBvideo:2zuyfvk0]

I've been trying to think for a while who to intro her to. I have Dizzy and Smudge, but both those girls do NOT like others. And you kindof have to be a "special rat" to live with a tilty. They are rather rude (coming up behind and crawling right between the legs and all).
I was thinking of trying her with Tellie and Remy because Remy has HED as well and their cage is well outfitted for the both of them, but Tellie is my problem there. She is the biggest little terd. Mia could hold her own, but Tellie is... well, there is a reason why she is nicknamed Tellie monster :p
Abby's crew is rough. Abby herself is kinda nasty but Basil and Neko would be good, they were so gentle with Lily.
Babies are out of the question. The cage is just too full and the way the "play" fight is pretty violent. There are times when they will be making so much noise that I'll go running into the rat room to make sure the CN didn't fall over or something.
And last I have Ruby who is still on her own but happy as can be alone. I may try her but it isn't promising since she was afraid of Remy, who is SUCH a sweetie. Ruby is actually quite happy alone in her giant cage. She popcorns up and down the ramps and plays on her own. She is VERY fearful of rats - Shelagh even tried to intro her.

Pretty much the list goes as follows: Try with Remy and Tellie first, if that doesn't work try Soka, if that doesn't work try Ruby, if that doesnt' work try Dizzy and Smudge, if that doesn't work try Abbys crew *wince*, and if that doesn't work..... well, I dunno what I'll do at that point. One group has to work right? (heh)

Mia is still doing really well. I'm so surprised. She has been on bromocriptine for a PT since December and only now is starting to need to be supplemented with dex! How great is that? She loves her out time where she is basically allowed to go free in the room. I tried her with Ruby and they seem to get along ok. Ruby is still a bit scared of Mia though, Mia likes to nip and pull at ears and Ruby doesnt really like that all that much. They still come out together with me but realistically I don't see them living together. When they are out there is minimal interaction with each other and the only time that they ever sleep together is when they sleep on my lap. We will see though. Maybe they will. But right now Ruby is still too unsure, and its been since mid April that I have been having them out (every other day to every 3 days less a week where I was too sick to move) and she really hasn't gotten a whole lot better.
Anyway, I wanted to post this adorable pic of Mia. She just looks so sweet - even though she really is quite spunky.

Tellie and Remy are both really showing their age. Unfortunately they both have tumours (Tellie has an inguinal and an armpit tumour and Remy has an armpit one) but they are both still very bright and relatively active. I cant believe how much Tellie has slowed in the past couple months. My monster girl is much less of a monster, but is still somewhat of a monster lol! At least they are both still quite healthy, less the tumours.

Sweet Remy who never leaves is cozy corner hide and squish hammock. He HATES when I take this out to wash it.

And lovely tellie... looking for her treat.

Got her treat

Eating her treat lol

I'll update on the rest of the ratters when I get home. I need to get pics of everyone. The babies have grown SO much... and they are getting better with the holding part. Thank goodness they are so motivated by treats! I can hold them and give them a treat while holding them now :).

I haven't been around here much lately, but I'll be back again in a few days. I defend my thesis for my M.Sc. on Wednesday!! I'm utterly terrified but VERYVERYVERY excited to get it all over with! Then all I have to do is edit my thesis and submit it and hopefully I can move on from this! I'm very excited to be able to get a job that will hopefully provide me with a bit more free time... and money. As it is now, I have been working solid for like 3 months, and I'm exhausted! I'm here to give my brain a bit of a break :D

I have added a few new ratties to my aging rattie family, and will update on them after I have defended and when they come home :). Shelagh is fostering them until after the long weekend (I decided that I would take off to the cottage one last time before it is sold at the end of september). So stay tuned for the update on my new boys. I also adopted Peeka and Boo, 2 lovely girls that Shelagh also fostered for me for a short time. And of course silly Dill <3. Those 3 kept me on my toes, but they are a wonderful distraction!

For the most part, my aging ratters are doing well. Much to my surprise Mia is still here, and actually is doing extremely well. She has been on bromo since Nov. 2012! Im still amazed at her determination everyday. I wish I had that fight in me, I could really use it on Wednesday. Neko is still fighting as well. He loves his emeraid diet and his special snacks everyday. Little monster hates his meds though... does anything in his power to get away. Abby is also still doing extremely well. She will be 3 at the end of September! I cant believe it... AND she is letting me pet her without trying to bite me! Basil is good to :) Still playing and is extremely interested in the youngin's in the cage next door.

Ruby is still Ruby :heart: such a lovely girl. She has a mammary tumour that I would like to have removed but ill have to raise some funds for that first. Remy and Smudge are also good although old and lumpy. They look exactly the same! They both have tumours in the same spots and they are both smeezes, hopefully they will get a long when I intro them later this week. Unfortunately, neither are candidates for removal since they are both very old, and both have the tumours all down their sides. Smudge also has more starting on her other side too :( Plus smudge has had 3 removed already. I cant remove anymore.

The sad news is that I lost dizdiz last night. I have no idea what happened with her. She may have had a PT, stroke, ear infection, who knows. Her belly didnt feel very good either. I'm not sure, but i found her curled up in her hammock last night gone. We spent almost the full weekend together as she was declining, but I guess she was waiting to be on her own to finally leave. She left peacefully and is hopefully running her circles somewhere else :heart: Im gonna miss her, she was a one of a kind girlie

With that I leave you a very happy dizdiz running in her circles :heart:

[BBvideo 450,375:3hxsbce2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhhPUSGu-S8&feature=g-upl[/BBvideo:3hxsbce2]

:heart: :sad3: RIP sweet Dizdiz :sad3: :heart: What a silly little girl you had there - never seen a rat run in circles - what was up with that? Sorry for your loss.

Well, some more sad news this morning. Mia passed away this morning/last night. I found her in her cage curled up with no sign of a struggle. She was in not so great of shape yesterday so I knew I would have to take her in today, but she beat me to it. Im so happy that she was able to go at home, on her own terms, in her own space (she was a very independent girl and probably would have wanted it this way).

This girl was amazing! She had been on bromo since late November with occasional dex, and survived until now! NINE months later!!! Thats amazing! She battled through every bump with so much determination. Her mood oftentimes paralleled my own and her "sense of humour" if rats can have one was also quite similar to my own (example: If I sat too far away from her while sitting on the couch she would drag herself over to me, nip my butt (rather hard and it actually hurt) and run back over to her blankets and look at me. It took a bit for me to figure out that I was simply sitting too far away and she wanted to be closer, but WITH her blanket).

Im so grateful to have been able to know her, and Im so happy that her cage mates and her got to spend their last few months with me.

Rest well Mia, I'm gonna miss you :heart:

DSC_0392_zps4f05dd82.jpg

(From about a month ago, I have no really recent ones)

I'm sorry you have lost both girls. I hope they can keep each other company at the Bridge.
Poor Mia, she worked so hard to train you and finally got you the way she wanted... :giggle:

There have been quite a few losses here lately, but with losses always seems to come new additions. I have a few new ratters that I have yet to introduce here, so here does the first group.

First is Dill, Peeka and Boo. Dill came from Shelagh and Peeka and Boo came from a lady who could no longer keep them due to an issue with her other pets trying to hurt them. All 3 of them are so playful and funny. Peeka is RIGHT at the door anytime I am in the rat room, she follows me from one side of the cage to the other as I work in the rat room. During out time, they are EVERYWHERE. I have them out in the bathroom because right now it is the only room that is rat proofed, and they can't really get into much trouble - or so I thought LOL. I don't know how they do it but they end up in places I never thought was reachable by a rat. They run around and play more than any other rat I have had (although Basil played a lot too). Enough talking, here are some pictures. OH and they all give tonnes of kisses :heart:

Dill was camera shy the day that I took all these pics... silly boy. Didn't even play with the toys that I gave them for picture time... He came out and played after of course. My camera must make a noise he doesn't like.
DSC_0548_zpsbc253720.jpg

DSC_0539_zps6773dc4a.jpg

Next is Peeka, my funny, sweet girlie. She was very focussed on the styrofoam ball :)
DSC_0536_zps7300dc3b.jpg

DSC_0535_zps8d8faaea.jpg

And finally, for this post, is silly Boo. Guh she plays like crazy, bouncing off the cage walls like an out of control bouncy ball... so adorable.
DSC_0541_zpsc3c90c28.jpg

DSC_0547_zps8c2b6675.jpg

The other two new ratters are Hiku and Nanuk.

DSC_0554_zps0a0dd5e0.jpg

Hiku is the boy with the grey markings on his face and Nanuk is the PEW boy. They are both from Victoria (well Montreal SPCA but vic was the one that handled everything - again a big thank you to her!!!). They are both very sweet, even though Nanuk has a bit of an attitude right now. I'm sure that once things settle he will be as big of a sweetie as his brother.

Hiku plays almost as much as Boo does, he bounces around everywhere and just seems like an overall, very happy, bouncy guy. Nanuk is a bit different then Hiku. When I have him out by himself in an area where other rats have not been, he is very interested and curious and seems VERY sweet at these times, he crawls up to my shoulder and will sit there sniffing the air. When they are out for out time, Hiku will play but Nanuk is more interested in marking what is his LOL. Sometimes it is funny, other times he just gets himself too worked up and needs a time out. I think he will stabilize though - right now their cage situation kindof sucks (the cage is big enough, its just in close proximity to others and i think it would help nanuk to be a bit further away... he spends lot of his time at the bars huffing and puffing) so hopefully when that changes things will be better :)

Nanuk - lol he does look like a trouble maker in these pics
DSC_0561_zps332384f3.jpg

DSC_0564_zps802a0a42.jpg

Hiku
DSC_0587_zps18218045.jpg

DSC_0584_zps20136504.jpg

LOL and Hiku kept blinking for every picture, but I thought this was adorable
DSC_0568_zpse3badfe4.jpg

Back