• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

close out on all soaps~ see last post

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vote only for those you'd like to purchase please!

• Orange Ginger

• Double Mint

• Bamboo and Green Tea

• Blue Lilac

• Twice Spiced (blend of anise and clove)

• Tropical Vacation (coconut/mango etc)

• White Tea and Thyme

• Breakfast Bars (maple/oatmeal/coffee)

• Citrus Sunrise (lemony top notes)

• Sparkling Pink Grapefruit (w/other citrus)

• Honeysuckle

• Sweet Bay and Rose

• Lavender

• Rosemary blend

Results are only viewable after voting.
jorats said:
Bear with me while I ask probably silly questions, but I've never been one to shop for soaps and lotions. So...what exactly is sating and silk lotions?

I'm not sure why they use the word Satin in the name, except perhaps to denote that it's satiny smooth?
or makes your skin that way?
the silk is for the silk amino acids, which is a very pricy ingredient. I used to get it to add to my homemade hair conditioner but it just got too expensive.

This is the manufacturer's description. this is a fully made base that can be used as is, unscented, or you can add the fragrance of your choice.
Satin and Silk Lotion
This lotion contains Shea Butter, Aloe, Silk Amino Acids, Sunflower & Coconut Oils. Shea and Aloe are well known in helping moisturize and repair skin damage. Sunflower Oil which is rich in Vitamin E, a natural anti-oxidant. Silk Amino Acids provide a protective barrier and silky note to the lotion. Coconut oil contains the natural antioxidant, vitamin E. It does not clog pours and has been shown to protect, hydrate and nourish the skin. This lotion does not contain mineral oil.

The Gentle Face and Baby cream has vit E and aloe in it as well as sunflower seed oil, and also does not contain mineral oil.
It is a very light cream by itself and I use it as a facial cream.

That heavy duty extra rich cream that I sent you was made with this cream base with a LOT of added shea butter (probably TOO much) plus two ingredients that help the cream to be absorbed into your skin.

I'm offering these creams and lotions "as is"
with any fragrance you'd like added, or none at all, if you prefer; I'm not altering them as I did with that heavy duty dry skin cream.

However if any one would like some whipped shea butter, with or without the extra ingredients that help it to be absorbed faster, just let me know and I'll whip some up for you. I've got more than I could ever use, as a little bit goes a long long way. It makes a super night cream or dry foot cream etc.

if you were to add some aloe to it, it would make a good before or after sun cream too.
Pretty versatile stuff, shea butter is! ;)

The price for the lotion is high because of the cost of the pump bottle, these were $3each but can be rinsed out and reused for a lot of things,like for liquid hand soap, etc I've had a couple of these bottles for over 10 yrs now, they've got a good sturdy pump in them.

OH Jo, I tried to make a liquid soap and it separates out, I mean the water goes to the top and the soap sinks to the bottom. I think I"d have to buy an emulsifier like stearic acid (which sometimes comes from sheep I think?) to make them stay together and then everything would need to be heated, and that would mean adding a preservative, so in the end it would be too expensive. :(

Petunia said:
jorats said:
Bear with me while I ask probably silly questions, but I've never been one to shop for soaps and lotions. So...what exactly is sating and silk lotions?

I'm not sure why they use the word Satin in the name, except perhaps to denote that it's satiny smooth?
or makes your skin that way?
the silk is for the silk amino acids, which is a very pricy ingredient. I used to get it to add to my homemade hair conditioner but it just got too expensive.

This is the manufacturer's description. this is a fully made base that can be used as is, unscented, or you can add the fragrance of your choice.
Satin and Silk Lotion
This lotion contains Shea Butter, Aloe, Silk Amino Acids, Sunflower & Coconut Oils. Shea and Aloe are well known in helping moisturize and repair skin damage. Sunflower Oil which is rich in Vitamin E, a natural anti-oxidant. Silk Amino Acids provide a protective barrier and silky note to the lotion. Coconut oil contains the natural antioxidant, vitamin E. It does not clog pours and has been shown to protect, hydrate and nourish the skin. This lotion does not contain mineral oil.

The Gentle Face and Baby cream has vit E and aloe in it as well as sunflower seed oil, and also does not contain mineral oil.
It is a very light cream by itself and I use it as a facial cream.

That heavy duty extra rich cream that I sent you was made with this cream base with a LOT of added shea butter (probably TOO much) plus two ingredients that help the cream to be absorbed into your skin.

I'm offering these creams and lotions "as is"
with any fragrance you'd like added, or none at all, if you prefer; I'm not altering them as I did with that heavy duty dry skin cream.

However if any one would like some whipped shea butter, with or without the extra ingredients that help it to be absorbed faster, just let me know and I'll whip some up for you. I've got more than I could ever use, as a little bit goes a long long way. It makes a super night cream or dry foot cream etc.

if you were to add some aloe to it, it would make a good before or after sun cream too.
Pretty versatile stuff, shea butter is! ;)

The price for the lotion is high because of the cost of the pump bottle, these were $3each but can be rinsed out and reused for a lot of things,like for liquid hand soap, etc I've had a couple of these bottles for over 10 yrs now, they've got a good sturdy pump in them.

OH Jo, I tried to make a liquid soap and it separates out, I mean the water goes to the top and the soap sinks to the bottom. I think I"d have to buy an emulsifier like stearic acid (which sometimes comes from sheep I think?) to make them stay together and then everything would need to be heated, and that would mean adding a preservative, so in the end it would be too expensive. :(
Well I do know satin pretty much means its gonna be smooth and glossy in no matter what it's for like satin paint, satin floor cleaner, ect. (I work in hardware) so I'm just gonna say that the lotion being satin it's trying to say it will make your skin soft and leave a slight shine *shrug* I guess :p

Thank you for explaining!
Are you hoping to sell those 50 bars first before making other scents or are you making more now? The reason I ask, what usually happens with me is that I order and then see the other stuff after the order is done. lol

jorats said:
Thank you for explaining!
Are you hoping to sell those 50 bars first before making other scents or are you making more now? The reason I ask, what usually happens with me is that I order and then see the other stuff after the order is done. lol

very good question!! what I plan to do, now that the additional supplies have arrived, is to make a batch of Citrus Sunrise soaps and a batch of the Breakfast Bars, and possibly a batch of Sparkling Pink Grapefruit (because that's the one I want to use next :lol: )
I am currently working on some Moonlight Pomegranate bars right now -they are setting up in the kitchen as we speak, actually :giggle:

I am not sure about making the soap cupcakes with bath/shower poufs ahead of time, I think for those I'll wait and see what people want. maybe I could make a few some folks can see what they look like, what do you think?

so, basically right now, I'm open for people to order from what is made, and if there's something they want that I haven't made yet, they can custom order it.

I have all the scents listed in the poll, except for Honeysuckle, that's gone, and I think the Orange Ginger is too (but I'll check)

I can see that there are a lot of choices, so sometime today I am going to try my best to get better photos and descriptions to make this easier for folks.

what scent were you interested in Jo? I can also send samples if anyone wants a 'sniffy'

jorats said:
I was looking for the blue lilac and lavender but that pomegranate sounds awesome!

OK I sent you a PM

For the lilac and lavender, because there's not a lot of it left, I decided to wait to see what shape ppl wanted before making any.

Turns out they sent me a sample size of the blue lilac instead of the next size up (fortunately they only charged me for the sample size) so there's only enough of that to make maybe 3 bars total

there's probably enough lavender to make 8 to 10 bars max, so I need to know what shape people want before I make them up :thumbup:

It takes about a day to make two batches because I have only one mold for each shape. I used to pop these in the freezer but I found out it changes the scent so now I let them set up at room temperature so that takes longer.

GrayLightNewDay said:
I wont be able to buy any until next month, but I will be buying some! I really want the blue lilac. :?

that's ok, I am thinking this will be an ongoing fundraiser.

if enough people want the lilac I'll look into ordering more. I'm fond of lilac myself :wink:

I would love to get some lilac soap! It can wait until the next batch though. But you can put me on a list for 2 cat shaped lilac bars.

Also, if you are ever able to get your hands on lily of the valley scent, count me in! :D

crumbilina said:
I would love to get some lilac soap! It can wait until the next batch though. But you can put me on a list for 2 cat shaped lilac bars.

Also, if you are ever able to get your hands on lily of the valley scent, count me in! :D

OK I went ahead and ordered more of the lilac but lily of the valley is very expensive (over $10 for a tiny bottle of it) so I had to pass on that, sorry!

Petunia said:
crumbilina said:

OK I went ahead and ordered more of the lilac but lily of the valley is very expensive (over $10 for a tiny bottle of it) so I had to pass on that, sorry!

Ah well, just wanted to put it out there :wink:
Lilac will still be good!

dspch911 said:
How long do they keep? Could I order them now and keep them until christmas as gifts for co workers?

they can be shrink wrapped and that should hold the scent in, but I really can't say for sure how long they'd still stay the same as far as the fragrance goes, since I've never tested that out.
I always use mine up in a couple of months. I think the longest I've had a bar is about 6 mos and it wasn't wrapped at all and still had a good scent, just a bit weaker then when first made.

A friend of mine has kept a honeysuckle scented soap for over a year just to sniff LOL I'll have to ask her if she keeps it inside something and also if the scent is as strong.

smilez_n_hugs said:
OMG I want some of that lotion. Can you estimate how much shipping would be for a bottle of lotion and 3 bars of soap?

ok I get an estimate of around $16
I like to estimate on the high side, this way I'm usually pleasantly surprised when it's less so I added an extra 4 oz to my best guess and came up with a price of about $17.55 It's hard to say til something has been packaged up, just how much the actual pkging materials will add.

Cinderwolf said:
how much do you suppose shipping would be on 3 bags of foot soak?

my best guess is that 3 bags of foot soak packaged up will weigh around 2lbs 2 oz, and the shipping calculator says $17.55 for that weight

it's hard to say for sure because you never know how much packing will add, but I try to use the least amnt of packing to keep the wt as low as possible and still have the contents protected from damage

Back