Blood? *update* pics!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She should have been on meds as soon as you noticed she was bleeding the "3 or 4 weeks" before you began this post.

If you really did take her to a vet (its becoming very unbelieveable now) then the vet would have given her medication and would have asked to see her back for a check-up, wether she was doing better or not.

Not getting her medication when she first needed it is not helping the situation at all. "Exercising her and keeping her healthy" does not work if she is in pain, and if she is still bleeding then you are not "keeping her healthy".

Sorry to be so blunt, and everyone can shoot me down now but i am being realistic here... but you really need to pull your finger out if you want to remain a good owner for you pet. She has been bleeding for weeks now, she got hold of a chili and suffered from it, and then she has that dodgy dead eye in the photo about your toe nails and you have no proof that she has even been to a vet.

Some things that I want to do, I can't. It's not me, it's my parents.

She has been the the vet because of her eye. She had surgery and meds on it. We are searching for a better doctor. Please don't blame me. I want to take her to a vet and get help, and my dad said we will. He promised.

We called a vet and asked what the options were on what to do about Stella. She was very unexperienced, so we are going to find a person we like.

They do care. I'm not allowed to have any more pets after Stella passes on, so I am being as careful as I possibly can. My parents and I both love Stella very much. Don't you say they don't provide care, because they will if it is needed. And they will, because in this situation, it is needed. Look, if you're not willing to provide information instead of saying how bad it is that I haven't taken her to a vet already, than don't. All I'm asking for is help. I have recieved much information about the matter, so thanks to everyone who is trying to help me solve the problem. I will keep you all updated.

If you or they provided care, then she would have been fixed weeks ago, and you wouldn't still be stressing because she is still bleeding.

What more information is anyone supposed to supply except for GET HER TO A VET!?!

Maybe you can look back on this in 10 years time when your an adult and realise just how bad this is and why i am so bothered about it!

Surgery on an eye is a removal. Your rats dead eye is still there..there was NO surgery. IF you want us to help, you need to tell us the truth. Your stories always change...how can we believe anything anymore?

We have been through this before Catie.

She was on medication for her eye, which was red before, and it got better. The old veteranarian who did Boogie's Tail operation and Stella's eye problems retired. He did not reccemend removal of her eye, and the medicine he perscribed to her worked, and so her eye just died, and didn't bulge out, blood red.

Big Ears said:
She was on medication for her eye, which was red before, and it got better. The old veteranarian who did Boogie's Tail operation and Stella's eye problems retired. He did not reccemend removal of her eye, and the medicine he perscribed to her worked, and so her eye just died, and didn't bulge out, blood red.

Then you say THAT, not this...

She has been the the vet because of her eye. She had surgery and meds on it.

Big Ears said:
We craved into our savings, and were able to afford a trip to the vet for Stella. The perscribed medications she gave us seem to be clearing up most of the blood. The vet found out that Stella has bacteria in her vaginal area, causing it to bleed inside. She said it may get worse, so I am trying to keep an eye on it. For now, everything seems fine.

Ah, but you DID go to the vet, and you DID get meds. According to the above quote, anyway. Then a few posts later you say she is lethargic and not only bleeding from her vagina or urethra but from all over her body, see below.

Big Ears said:
Stella has gotten much worse. We have diagnosed the disease as Urinary Tract Infection She is all swollen, and is loosing blood quickly from her vaginal area, nipples, and scabs coating her small body. She has also been sleeping more than usual. My mom thinks it is her time, and she is too old. It is not bad enough to put her to sleep, because she is not in much pain, even though she is loosing blood. She is 19 months old, so a little over a year and a half. She doesn't look as if she is going to pass on any time soon, but I can never be so sure.

Later on you say, my DAD thought she had a UTI. Shelagh tries to ask what meds you received and you say nothing.

Now you are saying you will START with Baytril. So the mention of meds from before is a lie?

We know you are able to type with a fine grasp of the english language. So perhaps it is time to give one post that tells the entire story and the truth. We can not help you if we do not know EXACTLY what is going on. If you are not entirely sure about meds you may or may not have received, ask your parents for the veterinary receipts if they still have them.

If your family is not doing well financially, then exploratory surgery is not going to happen, as it is very pricey.

How do you expect people to help you if you lie and your story changes every time you post? Is there even a rat named Stella, or do you just want the attention? I would say it is a very good thing your parents won't m allow you to have more pets after this as you are obviously unable to tell a strait story, and without that you are not mature enough to be responsible for another life.

Has she been to the vet? Has she been on meds? What surgeries has she had? Overnight stays at the hospital and NOT surgeries.

Pink

Everything else aside...

I thought you had another rat, Abby? How's she? These scabs you're talking about, does she have them? could it be mites/ticks/etc.? If only one of your rats has them, and the other doesn't, then mites can probably be ruled out. But if you notice the same scabs on Abby, then get them both treated.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but the thought occurred to me when I saw the post about the scabs on Stella.

You have a very sick pet who is suffering and is going to die if she does not get proper medical care. She is not an old rat and should have a long life yet to live.
She needs to see an experienced rat vet immediately.
She has been suffering and in need of vet care and antibiotics (if not surgery) for weeks.
Please either get her the vet care she needs immediately or have her humanely put to sleep. (See viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9582&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0 )

There is nothing you can do for her to help her ... she needs medical care from a vet that knows how to treat rats.

She needs antibiotics from a vet. She may need her uterus removed.
We can not help any more then to tell you that. We are not vets and we are not there.

Please do not get any more pets since you and your family are unable to provide them with the care they need.

My skeptic buttons are all getting pushed, personally. I think we have the case of a young person who is very eloquent with language for her age who nevertheless has a penchant for the overdramatic and may be prone to a little magical thinking, and who isn't able to completely explain herself.

I think one of two things is likely going on. Either we have a very smart kid who is looking for some attention and thus creating or embellishing on a rat's medical condition in order to make their pet "special". Or the rat really is sick, and OP is making up answers based upon what she thinks we want to hear because she's afraid of telling us the truth of what's going on.

Big Ears honey, you said Stella was already spayed. If that's the case, that means that she was cut open and had her ovaries and uterus (babymaking parts) removed. That would have been a surgery. Do you remember her having had that? Or did it happen before you got her? If so, there's a possibility that whoever told you she was spayed lied/didn't know what they were talking about. If that's the case, I'm guessing from what you've told us that she has a pyometra (which is a bacterial infection of her insides) and that would be cured with a spay and some antibiotics. I'm also guessing that her scabs are being caused by mites, which are probably now attacking her system because she's sick and her immunities are weakened.

I don't know the situation for sure, but I vaguely remember being young, intelligent, and on the internet. What I would recommend you do, if your rat truly is sick and you really do care for her, is to encourage your mom or dad to join this forum too. There are some things, no matter how much you love your animals, that are beyond your control if you don't have access to the resources to take care of them, and it might put you in a position where you feel you need to lie to defend yourself when, realistically, it's not your fault. If your parents were also on here to verify your story and maybe clarify questions that you might not necessarily know (like what medications your vet prescribed, or exactly what happened at an appointment, since I'm assuming the vet deals primarily with your parents -- I know that's how it was with my dog when I was around your age), that would help us to help you and Stella. It would also give your parents a chance to be educated, because it sounds like they don't know very much about rats and they might not believe you even though you have good information.

But I may be way out of line here.

I think fenshae has given you some great advice here.

Fenshae, do you think it could be mites still even if her other girl doesn't have scabs? I might be totally wrong in thinking she has another girl, though I'm pretty sure when she introduced herself to the forums, she said she had another younger girl named Abby.

OH gosh, I just noticed your signature "RIP Abigail" and put two and two together that Abigail probably = Abby. So sorry to have brought her up, I don't remember any post about her passing :(

From July 17th:
Big Ears said:
She is 19 months old, so a little over a year and a half.

From July 20th:
Big Ears said:
Believe it or not, Stella turns two years today, July 20, too!

Sorry for posting so many times in a row, but, it might help for us to know her real age, too. There's a pretty big difference between a year and a half and two years old. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back