Blood? *update* pics!!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ears

For the past 3-4 weeks, one of my girls, Stella, has been having some problems. Blood is coming out of her vaginal area, and I am unsure of what this is? It is staining everything in her cage, and when I try to wipe it off, more comes pouring out. She is not showing any sign of pain, but is taking longer naps than usual.
What should I do? :?

This can be a severe problem...you need to make sure its not blood in her urine, and you need to get her to the vet (even if there is blood in the urine - UTI...not quite as serious). It may clear up on a course of antibiotics but she might end up needing a spay to save her.

If it is a pyometra it is a big, big problem and she needs to see a vet immediately. Hopefully antibiotics work, but personally I would spay her as soon as it is safe to do so.

Pink

Not only is she very, very ill, likely from either UTI or pyometra but she has been losing a lot of blood. (Rats do not menstruate.)
She needs to see a vet now.

aw i hate packing and moving i wish you easy moving.

oh here's a thing to read a bit about it also from: http://www.rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm

Q: I just noticed blood coming from the vagina of my one-year old rat for the first time. Do female rats have periods?
A:
No, female rats do not menstruate, so if your female rat is bleeding vaginally then something is wrong and you need to get her to a vet. Vaginal bleeding can be a symptom of a uterine tumor, genital mycoplasmosis, a urinary tract infection, a miscarriage, or the beginning of labor. If you can eliminate a miscarriage or labor from this list, and if after antibiotics have been given to rid her of any infection she is still bleeding, then the only treatment left is to have her spayed.

Spaying will eliminate the problem altogether and may extend her life. Be sure to find a competent vet to perform the surgery. It should cost in the neighborhood of $65 to $150 for the entire procedure. Also make sure that your vet gives you post surgical antibiotics to prevent possible infection. Remember, this surgery involves going into the body cavity and should not be decided upon without considering the risks. If she is a young rat, the benefits will probably outweigh the risks, but if she is very old it may be best to let her live out her life in peace. Many females have bled vaginally on and off for over a year before leaving this world.

So I finally got brave enough to talk to my mom about the problem. She said that she is just menstruating, but when I told her they don't, and showed her the posts to proove it, she still thinks it's just her cycle. She won't take her to the vet when I told her that she might be loosing blood. What should I do now? :(

I'm not sure if this is possible, but could you ask to borrow money from your mother for the vet bill and offer to work it off by doing extra things around the house? Maybe say that instead of a Christmas and/or Birthday gift this year you'd rather have your rat taken to the vet? It's worth a shot, and your mom will see you're really serious and responsible about getting your rat to the vet. :wink2:

Big Ears said:
So I finally got brave enough to talk to my mom about the problem. She said that she is just menstruating, but when I told her they don't, and showed her the posts to proove it, she still thinks it's just her cycle. She won't take her to the vet when I told her that she might be loosing blood. What should I do now? :(

How old are you? Do you have a job?

I have been told by the admin, and many other people not to give away my age. I'm not old enough to have a job is pretty much all I can say.

My mom finally agreed with me that Stella is sick when she was squeaking in her cage and was not able to climb into her bed. There is a chance we might go to the vet, but it is unpredictable, so I am still unsure.

Yes, I did. But that's not possible. I'm not even aloud to have allowence. We are in bad-shape, financily (money-wise). I can't borrow money, or work it off either. Good suggestion though. :wink:

Big Ears said:
I have been told by the admin, and many other people not to give away my age. I'm not old enough to have a job is pretty much all I can say.

My mom finally agreed with me that Stella is sick when she was squeaking in her cage and was not able to climb into her bed. There is a chance we might go to the vet, but it is unpredictable, so I am still unsure.

LOL I'm not a stalker/weirdo! I am a 40 year old Mom with 2 kids of my own. You are right about staying safe...I wasn't thinking about that-sorry.

I started babysitting, walking dogs, cleaning houses, and other odd jobs by the time I was 11-12 years old. I then had to take care of my own pets and their needs. My parents loved animals but made me be responsible for my own pets. If they paid a vet bill for me I made sure I paid them back sorta thing IF I didn't all ready have it saved up on my own.

I hope only the best for your Stella. :cuddle:

HA! :rofl2:
Of course I didn't think you were a stalker! What a young mom you are - my mom didn't have me until she was your age. :lol2:

As I said i the post before yours, it is unlikely I can work it off, or do any other thing like that. I'm wondering what I can do to convince her to take Stella to the vet. After the appointment, she is always crying with stress after all the money we spent on the rat. She loves rats very much, but whenever something happens that makes her ill. She crys like hell and screams. She gets really depressed that the rat is hurt, and that we have to spend money. That all ends up in a "no more rats after this" conversation. She loves rats so much, she can't handle the stress. She would never want Stella to die, it is just hard to afford the vet bill. It's unpredictable on what will happen.

I'm still searching for suggestions on what to do to save her from losing blood and on how to convince my mom. I'm unable to post pictures because my mom would wonder why I am taking pictures on her camera of the rat's "private areas." Our camera is broken either way.
This is a total disaster! :cry4:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back