Baby rat problem

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Romeo and Prince are my little old men <33 all they do is wanna be on me and give kisses. Ugh :) They alwayss grind their teeth in a happy way im assuming? I think i'm going to change Romeos name to Dumbo though :) his ears are huge for his tiny head!
3a8u4uju.jpg

And they both crawled onto my hand to cuddle and lick me <3
qyzura8y.jpg

Im just in love with these babies. Lol how do breeders do it! I want all of them </3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone :) and so I have the mom and babies separated from my 3 boys at the moment. They're all in a critter nation and the boys are on the top. I would like to put then back together after the babies are grown but I don't know if i want to neuter the males just for that reason. They are the sweetest (so far) and just pee a lot though. Or if i should just go buy another critter nation (which would be cheaper) and be able to keep a couple of mommys babies? Its just sad because she loved her boys :/ at my vet they cost about 120 each to get neutered.

Yikes, that is expensive...
What if you just spaced the neuters out over several months? I enjoyed having a mixed colony, and never had to worry about accidents.
I know, I know, everyone feels it won't happen to them, but even the most experienced people on the Shack have ended up with an oops litter.
The other thing to take into consideration is that the boys and girls will be in a constant state of stress, as the girls cycle into heat and can smell the boys, and the boys will be stressing because they can smell the girls, ready and waiting. Sex is a natural drive, and there's only one way to eliminate that for the ratties...

Ugh :/ yea i mean i would have them in separate parts of the house and separate times out. Im too nervous of a person to let them out at the same time ever haha or in the same room. But i mean it would work since i need room for the babies that i havent found homes for.

It looks like theyre losing hair or getting chunks taken out. And is it normal for rats to lovee licking you? These two ADORE it. They are about half the size of the normal babies now. And don't seem to be growing.
tume4aza.jpg

You should take pictures of them regularly with their normal siblings for comparison.
Do they seem healthy other than their size and hair coat?

Wow actually i haven't noticed how big the difference was until now. I mean they seem really reliant on mom and they don't really climb the bars of the cage like the other babies. They prance around and eat and everything. But arent as active and independent.
y7atu7ed.jpg

Fawn is one of the biggest babies but still.. And excuse the water on her back. She had to stand under the water bottle. Lol

Back