Baby rat problem

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its honestly so depressing :( their health just dropped so quickly. Maybe they couldn't make it past a certain age? I was gonna have my vet check but I just wanted to bury them. It was probably just failure to thrive and my girl was too nice to end their lives at the start. But another problem is up. I have homes for only 2 of the babies because one person changed their mind and the others I just cant give the babies to. So far im looking at keeping 5 more rats. Which isnt much of a problem considering i have two cages. But how many rats fit comfortably in a CN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bengaltigirl05 said:
But how many rats fit comfortably in a CN?
I had 10 rats in a Double Critter Nation, but I found that kind of tight for the personalities. If they are all from the same litter and get along well, then 4-5 in a single Critter Nation should be OK. I found adding shelves and making sure there are lots of places to curl up and sleep helped a lot.

I think you are right that momma probably should have taken care of the babies when they were little, but just didn't. They got to live their little lives as well as they could. Otherwise we wouldn't have known them at all, but now they have left their little pawprints on our hearts. :D

Then you have plenty of room!
I would keep the baby boys in half of the Double with the mom and girls in the other half until the boys are older and you can intro them (or find them a home).

I will wait then. And I'm actually astonished that none of the babies had MC. One of the little girls is a blaze, with two different colored eyes, one ruby and one red. Shes so gorgeous but I'm hoping MC wont show up later in her life since shes such a high risk :eek: you cant tell her eyes are different in this picture but one is for sure darker.
uve5ypup.jpg

Aw, I'm so sorry about the two...but they had a great short life with you, they obviously loved you a lot. You were a great owner, just as you will be for their siblings that you are keeping.

Thanks everyone! And I would but most have found wonderful homes :) I do have some though! So far I'm keeping 3 males and one female, but the beige boy is getting a home soon :)
My girl Fawn watching me study :)
gygubu2u.jpg

Ari being handsomee
y7a3arap.jpg

Shadow :)
suva8ahe.jpg

And Frappe!
u4esener.jpg

And for the babies who found their home, here are two of them, absolutely gorgeous. The black hooded had two different sized eyes
jysepe8a.jpg

And this odd-eyed beauty
y6yjugan.jpg

Had to catch you guys up :)

Back