Baby rat problem

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im also part of a rat community now and one lady adopted a pregnant female and the babies were born. They are supper small and the lady thinks the father might have been a wild rat. Shes adopting them out on the 17th and I have decided to get one. They remind me of my babies who passed away :( im getting the smallest girl whos an agouti. I think shes 3 weeks in this picture.
8ehe6a4u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your new baby girl! It's nice she will have ratties around her age to play with at your house. I've never had an agouti coloured rat. :)

When the rats are that young, introductions are usually not a problem, and they all have so much energy they will be fun to watch zooming around.

Oh yea I introduced the little boys to my older ones and they didn't even seem to do any dominant things such as holding them down or anything. They just sniffed then hung out. Maybe because they were with them when they were babies? They all cuddle :)
ypysu9yn.jpg

And mommy and her daughter love each other too!

It looks like they might be though which would indicate they're hopefully closer to 3 weeks - still very young though. Have you given them anything to eat or drink yet?

Yes. This one seems fine and no red around its nose, no breathing problems, has some spots on his ears.. Like mites maybe
y9e6uvu2.jpg

And then this one. Hes awful lethargic but no other issues. Possibly lice.
teguqyje.jpg

I haven't looked through your thread yet, what age are the mum / babies you already have? At this stage I don't think I'd want to put them straight in with her, she might end up just hurting them to be honest :(

I had 5 ratties come to me at that age a few years ago, I was really new to ratties at the time, but I gave them some soya milk / lactol and for food they had some cooked chicken crumbled up, bland baby foods, and boiled / scrambled egg.

At this age they will be able to eat by themselves :)

They'll definitely benifet from food with extra protien though (such as the egg, chicken etc). Obviously have water available for them but at that age I would give them something extra (soya milk, lactol if you get that there?).

you can soak labl blocks in soy formula to add a little extra. THey are to young to be away from momma for sure. They have baby heads still. It it is more than just not putting in the same room. You cannot touch them and touch your resident rats or you can carry the virus if they carry it to them. It is a lot of work to keep your others safe and pet store rats are known for carrying deadly viruses.

Back