Argh! Degloved tail, again? (photos, need help!!)

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by Olympia✨, Jul 30, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Jul 30, 2018 #1

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

I posted about a month ago about one of my boys, Obi, who I thought had a degloved tail at the time. Apparently it was a “nail tail” but since then I think he really degloved it!

upload_2018-7-30_1-19-57.jpeg

(Sorry for the flashy photo, it’s hard to get him to sit still- plus it’s the middle of the night!)

It’s red, so I cleaned it with saline water. I think it must have just happened today since I’m *pretty* sure it wasn’t degloved yesterday!

Anyway, do I need to go see the vet? Or can I administer home treatment? It’s currently 1am in the morning here in the U.K. and I can go out to buy some ointment in the morning if needed. However which U.K. ointment would be rat-safe?

I don’t think I need ibuprofen since he isn’t bothered by it, I’m pretty sure he hasn’t even noticed:rolleyes: I have human amoxicillin at home if that’s important?

I’m just here stressing and worrying! Will he be okay? What should I do!?:eek:

2. Jul 30, 2018 #2

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

If he's not bothered by it, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep it clean. And keep an eye on it. If it goes black then the tip might fall off.

3. Jul 30, 2018 #3

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  4. Jul 30, 2018 #4

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Looks like tail nail again. Degloving when the skin comes off the end like a glove, its a real injury. :) I'll show pics of a type of injury (bite wound all the way around the skin so the blood wasn't able to flow to the tip and had to be amputated. The other is a relatively bad degloving where my vet was in the hospital and we took care of it at home, with antibiotics and pain medication.
    [​IMG]

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/degloving_injury_figure_4.php

5. Aug 1, 2018 #5

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

UPDATE: After treating his tail for only four days, the tip has dried up and is about to break off. I won’t break it off myself, I’ll let it do it’s thing naturally.

upload_2018-8-1_11-10-2.jpeg

(You might have to zoom in, but if you look closely you can see the brown, dried up part where the break is.)

oasisandbambi and SQ like this.