Argh! Degloved tail, again? (photos, need help!!)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olympia✨

I posted about a month ago about one of my boys, Obi, who I thought had a degloved tail at the time. Apparently it was a “nail tail” but since then I think he really degloved it!

upload_2018-7-30_1-19-57.jpeg

(Sorry for the flashy photo, it’s hard to get him to sit still- plus it’s the middle of the night!)

It’s red, so I cleaned it with saline water. I think it must have just happened today since I’m *pretty* sure it wasn’t degloved yesterday!

Anyway, do I need to go see the vet? Or can I administer home treatment? It’s currently 1am in the morning here in the U.K. and I can go out to buy some ointment in the morning if needed. However which U.K. ointment would be rat-safe?

I don’t think I need ibuprofen since he isn’t bothered by it, I’m pretty sure he hasn’t even noticed:rolleyes: I have human amoxicillin at home if that’s important?

I’m just here stressing and worrying! Will he be okay? What should I do!?:eek:

If he's not bothered by it, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep it clean. And keep an eye on it. If it goes black then the tip might fall off.

Looks like tail nail again. Degloving when the skin comes off the end like a glove, its a real injury. :) I'll show pics of a type of injury (bite wound all the way around the skin so the blood wasn't able to flow to the tip and had to be amputated. The other is a relatively bad degloving where my vet was in the hospital and we took care of it at home, with antibiotics and pain medication.
Hestiatailinjuryday3II-1.jpg~original

http://ratguide.com/health/figures/degloving_injury_figure_4.php

UPDATE: After treating his tail for only four days, the tip has dried up and is about to break off. I won’t break it off myself, I’ll let it do it’s thing naturally.

upload_2018-8-1_11-10-2.jpeg

(You might have to zoom in, but if you look closely you can see the brown, dried up part where the break is.)

Back