Alice - Not Good (Was - Getting PTS due to tumour)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our vet is really great, we had a girl with a tumour there before and it was removed (it was big too), I'm not sure why she didn't think Alice's could be removed :( She's 19 months so not that old.

I don't know what to do, her appointment is in 7 hours.

Do what ever you feel is the right thing to do, I know that it's a very hard decision, but let your heart take you in the right direction. No matter what you choose, your girl knows you love her and that your decision will be the right one.

No decision is a wrong one.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Here's a picture of her lump - sorry about holding her like this.

I think it looks a bit worse than your girl in the above pictures? :sad3:

I don't want to sound like I'm being negative, as I'd absolutely love if it could be removed, but it really is absolutely huge. Surely with something like this there could be a lot of blood loss too? I'm not sure :sad3:

Luckily we've spoken to the vet about trying a different method of PTS for the first time, the anesthetic injection rather than the gas, I decided I'd rather at least hold her.... I am sure that it will be a lot less stressful for Alice, she's quite a nervous girl so I don't think she'd really like the vets taking her and the gas etc.

Sorry for holding her like this (felt really bad).

PoorbabyAlice202_zps853d9bfa.jpg

:(

I know how bad that looks, she has done amazingly well with it though, it's just been this week that it is starting to affect her getting about :(

It does look bigger and more vascular than Emily's, you're right. But her color looks good- like her body is still getting enough blood. If she's doing well she may surprise you and do well with surgery too. As I said before, I don't see why the vet wouldn't give it a try when you'd be letting her go anyway. At 19 months she could have a lot of life left.
It's always a tough situation to be in (one I have been in too many times) but each time when I chose to go for it, I never regretted it. :hugs:

I don't mean to sound inconsiderate so if I do my apologies for coming across that way.

No it's okay, I appreciate your replies.

I live at home still and I know that my mum (and sister) both think the fairest thing is PTS. I find it so hard to make decisions like this, probably because the ratties are mine.

I would love it if she could have it removed but it was much, much smaller when I took her along to the vets and she said no then :( Again I don't want to sound negative, but I don't think she'd agree now. :'(

We've decided that we will ask at the vets this morning.

Obviously we know that if the vet agrees she might not even come through the operation :(

I'm still quite sure the vet won't agree with an operation though. I wish I was feeling more positive.

I hope the vet is willing to give it a try, it honestly should be up to you as long as you're aware of the risks. Good luck today you two. <3

RattusNorvegicus said:
I hope the vet is willing to give it a try, it honestly should be up to you as long as you're aware of the risks. Good luck today you two. <3

Thanks for all of your replies :heart:

Leaving soon.... I've decided that it somehow feels really wrong and rushed to get her PTS today, so either way I'll be bringing her back home to think about it. We're going to ask if she'd remove it.... fingers crossed :)

Thank you all again for your replies.

I decided before taking her to the vets this morning that I really wasn't comfortable in getting her put to sleep.

Took her along and the vet came in with the PTS forms, but instead we asked if there was any possible way that it could be removed as she is so bright and it just doesn't feel right for us to get her put to sleep right now. The vet listened to her lungs (which are clear), and had a good feel about the tumour.

She said that the actual size of the tumour doesn't worry her at all, it's more the position, it could be quite well attatched beside her leg. She agreed that we have to do something ASAP before it ulcerates, and said that she would try operating this Wednesday morning :joy: She said it wasn't completely hopeless but at the same time she did say that she might start removing it and find that it's worse than she thinks. If it is, she'll let Alice sleep away under the anesthetic (after giving us a call :( ).

I'm dreading Wednesday morning to be honest. I am so glad that we are giving her a chance but I'm so worried.

Rachel that is great news! Stay hopefully!
This is the last thing you can do for her, and if she still passes, you will at least be 100% positive that everything which could be done was done. You will not have to feel guilty or wonder "what if?".

I was in a situation like yours, and my girly didn't make it. Her mass was much bigger, however, and internal. Still, her passing was much easier on usall, knowing that we did what we could and she went peacefully, without fear, and without knowledge of what was going on or suffering.

I'm sorry about your girl :(

The biggest lump this vet removed was this one, so I'm going to try my best and stay positive.... I'm very worried but I do feel better that we are at least giving her that chance.

That's a very good decision - you will never have to doubt that you tried everything for your baby. Praying that all goes well for her :heart:

Rachael I am so glad you made the decision to try. I bet Alice is more than willing to try, too. Give her loves and lots of healthy foods until Wednesday! I always feed them green juice with soy formula and they love it (especially from the syringe or dropper). Try to stay positive. One of the great things with most mammary tumors is they are encapsulated (basically in a sac of membrane) that if it is attached to her leg, it should only be by tissues that can easily be torn away (at least so I have learned from research and from the tumors my vet saves for me).

Yup. Please don't get discouraged by my story, I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted to say how it was comforting that I TRIED. Like I mentioned, NoName's was an internal mass, which was growing on multiple organs, with it's own blood supply, and entangled in all of her little innards-- it is nothing like the tumor your little girly has, and I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed. :)

Back