Alice - Not Good (Was - Getting PTS due to tumour)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachael

I know there's not much anyone can say but I absolutely hate being in this situation :sad3: :sad3:

On Monday morning, Alice is getting PTS. She has a tumour just above her girl bits / beside her leg.

It's absolutely massive..... I've never had a rattie with a tumour as big as Alice's is right now. The hair has gone from the bottom of it and she has to hop a bit sometimes because of how big it is underneath her. She's always been a slender girl and probably more so now there is this big lump there too :sad3:

Despite that though..... she comes out for playtime everynight and has such a great time. She loves making big nests in the cage and she still comes over to get attention and see me.

I know that it's the right thing to do (because it really is huge), I just wish this decision got easier :(

Im so sorry. What a terrible decision for you. Sounds like the tumour is not only large, but it's in a bad place for surgery.

Wishing you a precious last day to snuggle with your girl.

It's beautiful and a gift to your girly. You are selflessly making a very hard decision to avoid the suffering and pain of someone you love, and no one can say anything-- you're right-- but we can all acknowledge that you are doing something necessary and very meaningful. Take the time to love your baby more and say goodbye to her. Rest in peace little one.

**Hugs**

Thank you, really appreciate your replies :(

Here's her lump yesterday.

AliceEKGirlsMore041_zps8988b71e.jpg

:(

Awww Rachael I am sorry! The tumour is big but the real problem is that of the location, right under her, not on her side or out of the way of her a bit...you could get a bit longer if it had grown there, but you're right, her feet arent' going to be able to touch the ground soon, so you are making the right choice ((hugs))

You are doing what is right for her and selflessly choosing her over your feelings. We had to make that decision for our boys too. I'm so sorry :heart: :cuddle:

Thank you :( I think I sometimes need to know that it's definitely the right thing and not too soon.

Sometimes over the past few days her leg hasn't touched the ground properly, and a little while ago she was falling as she tried to walk to the side. She's still so bright but when I write it down I know it must be the right time.... :(

I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a lovely girl when they are still so bright and lively - I said goodbye to my Jazzy the same way. It is so much better to let her go while she is still happy and not in pain than wait for her to be suffering. Give her lots of smooches and snuggles and spoil her rotten with all the things she's not supposed to eat...
:hugs:

If you have your mind entirely set disregard my comment as I understand the stress of someone coming along trying to change it.
I just wanted to say, her tumor looks exactly like Emily's. Emily also had 2 others. You say she is still bright eyed which I think means she has a chance if you could attempt removal. You'd only have money to lose if you're going to let her go tomorrow anyway....

Emily had her 3 tumors removed successfully. She did so well I was shocked.

Gremlin had an inguinal tumor and many others but my vet only removed the largest one. Days before surgery she dulled and didn't eat or drink on her own. She passed away after surgery but my vet WAS able to successfully remove the tumor in that location. Different from Emily is Gremlin was tired and weak. Emily's eyes were bright despite the difficulty of getting around. So I would say if you have the money, give it a shot. What do you have to lose? The tumor looks very encapsulated and removable.
Here are Emily's.
DSCN6387_zpsefff642a.jpg

And a link to her tumors after they were removed:
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x36 ... ee6a82.jpg
She looked amazing after surgery and was happier than ever:
4-6-13_zps9e37affb.jpg

Whatever you choose, hugs to you and your girl. :cuddle:

Thank you all.

I actually saw a post about your Emilys tumours before, but I took Alice to my vet when the tumour was much smaller than it is now and she thought it was already too big then, also because Alice is really quite skinny so she was unsure how she'd do after the operation.

I don't know :(

Any chance there is a vet that may be more confident in attempting surgery? Of course I do not know the condition of your girl as much as you do, but if she is bright and active I see her having a greater chance of recovery. Fluids before and after surgery may help too. I always feed my tumor girlies nice big nutritional meals days following surgeries to make sure their energy is up to recover. I don't know if it helps at all, but I feel like it does.

Emily was around 33 or so months give or take a couple. Twitch just had her tumor removed a month ago and she's 3 with a PT, however hers wasn't as big as Emily's or your sweet girls'. I just feel in a situation like this it's worth a shot so I always go for it. :heart:

Back