Will they ever get along?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep trying, and don't put a time limit on it. Some intros take a while. And you are providing both girls with the chance to interact, so they are getting rat time together.

Well, next month I don't have an apartment to live in, and my aunt doesn't have room for both cages. It's been almost a month :( and they get daily meetings. they're fine if they leave each other alone and aren't in the same space. :( I just want them to be BFFs so bad :(

It's only when we're playing in the hall way, I'm assuming it happens in the tussle when her and cleo get into it (which isn't even hardly a fight anymore, cleo runs away if she can lol). Maybe snagged on the carpet during then, or when she's hoping somewhere, not sure.

Aw, ok.
That's good news that Violet and Cleo don't get a chance to tussle due to Cleo's fast response. It's good conditioning, might eventually stop Violet from going after her.

Violet usually chases her around too but gets sick of it, but it's a good defense. Say violet is in a box, Cleo will peek in that box, stand still or a second then I think violet sends some sort of signal and Cleo runs like the wind. I don't know how it'll work in a smaller cage. I wanna be able to put them together for/by Christmas :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess when Cleo wants to be out, she wants to be out... She escaped last night sometime, i thought she was in the cage but sleeping, id been calling her name to get breakfast, and i lift up her hut, no Cleo, im like oh crap where could she hide ... then Ellie finds her right away, Cleo noticed i was calling her, came out from under the couch to see what was going on lol, and i grab her and put her back in, i'm lucky she's a good rat. Plant was knocked over, some stuff knocked over, who knows what havoc she created under the couch, ha ha.

Joanne said:
Wow, you are so lucky she was easy to find!

Yes! She comes to her name, not a whole lot of places to hide, some are inconvenient, like under the stove, or fridge, unless she'd get up in something, or IN the couch, that could be bad. She's so cute, but so naughty... Having her out now, I wish she'd stop peeing, she pees everywhere, well dribbles.

read this thread last night, and I thought I had responded, but I guess not. no you need to get them living together soon, but it may take some time for them to get used to each other. I hope it happens sooner than expected. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Well I had them in violets newly cleaned cage for maybe 5 minutes, wasn't a constant fight, maybe... 8 in the whole time, it would have went better had cleo not tried to shove herself through the bars of the cage, or the levels... I was thinking of putting violet in CLEOS newly cleaned cage, cleo can't escape, and there are 4 vertical feet to run.. what do you think?

Edit: Definitely works better in Cleos cage. What happens in fights, im not sure who starts it, usually cleo comes close-ish to violet to smell or see if it's safe, and violet will run to her all angry like, violet will do the sideways thing at Cleo, and cleo will be on hind legs trying to protect herself with her paws usually on violet, and her teeth barred. Thats always the kind of fighting they do. Violet out of the blue goes after cleo like this too, like Cleo was in her 'house', trying to stay safe from violet, and violet goes over there and bullies her. (They're both in their respective cages now, Violets toenail re-ripped a little)

Also, i have a feeling maybe violet is not going to be around a whole lot longer. I barely see her, she's always sleeping, comes out occasionally but not as much as she used to, still eats fine as far as i can tell, not skinny or anything, but I don't know it just seems odd for her. Maybe i'm paranoid. I think she still really misses her sister.

I think the bigger the cage, the better, so that Cleo can run away from Violet. I put my new girl in the DCN with my older girls (one has PT, so only two are out-of-sorts). It is big with lots of places to hid and sleep, and I try to make sure there are no 'dead-ends' where they can get cornered. The new girl is so much faster than the two older girls that she can easily out-run them. Plus she has more stamina. And if Violet is 'guarding' her cage, then by putting her in Cleo's cage she is in unfamiliar territory, and would be less likely to chase Cleo.
You'll have to gauge if it's safe enough to just put them together, but if you're going to be home for the day on the weekend, it might be a good time to try...

It seems Cleo gets cornered everywhere. But I think I'll just keep puttin violet in Cleo's cage after playtime and see if it gets better over time. I just don't want to stress her out.

Back