Welcoming Chester home - The big move in!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight, I will be moving intros to the kitchen table, so I will have a better idea of who might want to eat Chester up. I have to admit my old ratmen's health is worrying me though, so I do not expect any attack on Chester, unless he gets too pushy in his young energetic ways.

I am afraid my Ratosaurus has CHF, but it could be so many other things. I'll see how he is tonight but he most likely will end up at the vet - and on either Baytril or Enalapril (or both...)

What ADORABLE photos!

Chester sounds like a 1 in a million rat - this from someone who thinks all rats are one in a million, but still!

He might get pinned a few times if the oldies get annoyed with him, but it's not a bad thing - establishes who's on top of the pack and all. He looks absolutely thrilled to be meeting new buddies!

I do have more - but I get to start intros after 9 pm and between intro, cages cleaning, hydrotherapy and bedtime preparation (not to forget the most important part - wasting-time-playing-with-the-rats breaks :cheeky: ) I now go to bed way past midnight, which is definitely not good! I'll try to be better organized tonight and upload intros day 2 and 3 (hopefully day 4 as well!).

Intros are still going well, Mac even accepted Chester around him yesterday without puffing up! Might try being bold and start tonight's intro on the kitchen table and then finish it on the couch (play area). I just feel soooo ready to introduce the girls now, but I still have 2 weeks to wait. How big is the risk if I started intros next week, 2 weeks after Chester's neuter? Can't wait for Chester to have a rat family...

Very late coming into this thread but am so happy this boy has made it to you, got his neuter, and is getting his rat family!! :heart:
smeeze/himi dumbos are my dream rats too :D

A bit late doing my post, but here it is! I fell asleep right after dinner last night and was only able to get back on my feet at 11pm - thank God I have taken the day off today to get some rest!

So here are pictures from intro volume 1 (Chester meets the boys), days 2 and 3 (intros moved on the kitchen table)

DAY 2 - Pollux remains the one more accepting of Chester. Mac had a squabble with Chester to protect his territory (litterbox...) and Chester was afraid to go near him afterwards...

Chester keeps following Pollux around, who is being very sport about it

Chester not too sure about Mac (and vice-versa)

DAY 3 - After a few minutes of calm at the beggining of the intro, I added the ferret tunnel to add to the challenge. Still going well between Pollux and Chester. Another squabble with Mac, but this time it seems to be followed by a breakthrough! :dance:

Start of squabble between Mac and Chester in the tunnel

Pollux accepting to show recognition towards Chester

We have 2 buddies!

Mac deciding to investigate the new guy

Chester testing Mac

Let's give each other a chance :nod:

My three boys side by side :D

Because I am always amazed to see them get along

Because it is his thread and he is awfully cute (med time - he's getting a bit of ensure not to be left apart)

No intros last night as I was sleeping, but really considering starting tonight's on the kitchen table and moving on the play area (couch). Will be washing the sheets and blankets covering the couch this afternoon to make it a bit easier of course!

I want to throw the girls in now!!!! :tantrum:

Joanne said:
Yay! Glad it is progressing well! When you throw the girls in, Chester is going to think he's in heaven!

Nah I think the girls will think they are in heaven when they see what a hansom hunk Chester is!!!

Ratty Momma said:
Joanne said:
Yay! Glad it is progressing well! When you throw the girls in, Chester is going to think he's in heaven!

Nah I think the girls will think they are in heaven when they see what a hansom hunk Chester is!!!

Most definitely agree!! Loving the pics! So happy it's going well!

Intros look good. My vet says males are good to go with females after two weeks of their neuters. Good luck. Can't wait to see the girls with Chester.

Mamarat, this is a real bad thing to be saying to me right now... I will be putting them with Chester this Tuesday night (2 weeks after neuter) if nobody stops me!!!! :panic:

Unepuce said:
Mamarat, this is a real bad thing to be saying to me right now... I will be putting them with Chester this Tuesday night (2 weeks after neuter) if nobody stops me!!!! :panic:
My vet sais 10-14 days :wink2: I would wait at least 14 days tho..

Chester moved in!!!

Yesterday, we sanitized the cage, rearranged everyting, put in brand new liners and, after the crew played/slept on the couch through the whole thing, they were moved into the "new" cage, which was then located in my bedroom and as we decided to throroughly clean the office. Against all odds, Lili, my alpha who required 2 weeks to accept my newest girls, hit it off with Chester right away. During intros, she was always trying to boss him around, but I now see them in one of the Spoutniks together, grooming. Pollux was fine during the intro, and he was my biggest squabble this morning. Something is wrong with him, I will need to have xrays taken since we cannot figure out what it is... sadly, I am suspecting PT....

Chester's best friend is my one-eyed Cookie! They both are the most energetic of the cage so they do deserve each other. He also loves following Cabotine around, which serves me well since she really does need the exercice! He still is a bit reserved, trying to figure his new friends out, but he is already much more outgoing with me. Once he really settles down and stop being so nervous, I will have the happiest little ratman alive! I was sad not to have had rats that would popcorn before, but does he! He is a complete joy when he's happy! :dance:

Some pictures!

A bit sleepy at playtime...

My worst pancake Cabotine. I thought switching to Harlan would help, but she looooooves the stuff :emb:

Pyramide with Biscotte and Pollux

Being groomed by best friend Cookie

Thinking that the Circus has gotten much smaller, all of a sudden...

Enjoying Cookie's company

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Back