Two week old baby with snake bite Update: 3/18 Need advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mom may have been sucked up by some underground current and is now trying to find her way back to us from China...

lets hope she has the baby with her so it gets fed! :cheeky: :bunnydance: :thumbup:

Hi everyone, I am so very sorry it has been so long, the last couple of wees have been very difficult. Annie is doing very well but I lost my old nakie man Rupert in the first week of the month after a long battle with PT and HED :sad3: He was the sweetest boy and then a week later we unexpectedly lost Clementine, my little baby girl, she was only just over a year. We still don't know exactly what happened because she was literally fine one day and gone the next. She was running on her wheel and stuffing her face the day before and than that morning I noticed she didn't seem to be feeling well but her breathing was fine and she then just went downhill in a matter of hours before I could even get her to the vet, and I never expected something like this to happen to a rat her age. :cry4: We're thinking it was either a genetic issue or some sort of internal tumor, or myco related. It's hard to talk about or dwell on yet I can't stop thinking about her and we've now lost 7 pets since May, thank god for my husband it's been one of the hardest years of my life. Sorry to stray off topic, but I need some advice now that I'm in the aftermath of all this,it's probably going to be a bit of a long post, sorry!

Ralphie, my original guy is still doing pretty well at 32 months with HED and on and off resp issues but I never thought he would live to see all his buddies go and I really feel for him :sad3: he was once the king of the pack with a slight attitude to back him and now he just drags himself around licking everyone and everything as peaceful and loving as can be despite having lost so many buddies. He's grown even more attached to me and at least 4-5 times a day he makes his way over to the big flat bed for scratches and grooming from mommy and he looks for our help getting around now but still has a great appetite, loves munching on his lab blocks, snoozing in his hammock and snuggling with Cow :thumbup: So I was considering moving all four rats in together now but with Ralphie being such an old man I wasn't sure that was a great idea?
So for right now Penny and Annie are on the bottom of the double FN (chicken wired) and Ralph and Cow are on the top. Cow who is the same age as Clementine was, is having a really hard time transitioning and grieving. She was rescued at 4 weeks from a 10gallon tank with 16 other rats in it and she lived for a couple weeks with some of her siblings and Clementine while we fostered her and then right in with my colony and Clementine when she was 6-7 weeks. So she's always been with a colony and was always with Clementine, even in her last moments, when we found her Cow was laying on one side of her and Ralphie on the other in their favorite hammock :( It's already been almost two weeks and she's been acting nothing like herself, I even brought her into the vet to make sure everything was going alright. She's eating/drinking fine but with no enthusiasm if that makes since, she seems depressed. She was also very close to Rupert and Rosie and Zoey all who I lost this winter. I always relied on the face that they would have each other when I lost my older ones, and with Ralphie being so old now my poor girl's going to get even lonelier down the road. She does get along with the babies though. Before Clementine passed I had introduced them both to Penny a few times and Clementine was always submissive to her and Cow acted like an alpha and was the one getting into little tiffs with her but nothing serious. Now that Clementine is gone when Penny and Cow are together, Cow will walk right up to her and roll over, it's kind of sad actually she seems so desperate for more friends. So, I've been goving her time with Penny and Annie everyday, I started on neutral territory moving to their outspace and for the past few days she's been wanting to go in the lower half of the cage with them and doing great, and she's always been super gentle with the baby.
But, now if I leave her on the bottom Ralphie's alone and if I unseperate the FN and let them all together I think the babies may be too much for Ralph. I have let him meet them just to see his reaction and he was so calm about it and all he did was lick them everytime they ran by him or came to smell him and he was grooming the baby and vice versa but for the most part they were just too fast for him anyway so he ignored them unless they came to him. BUT I don't want to do anything that's unfair to him at his age eiither but I think he may be happier as well with more company because Rupert was his best friend and he really doesn't like sleeping alone and Cow isn't as close with him as she ws some of the others so they mostly only snuggle when I put her in the hammock with him or if he gets the energy to go find her. Would allowing them all together only when I'm home be beneficial or would the switching back and forth between being separated and not tease them too much? Again I'm really sorry I rambled so much I just want to do what's best for all of them and don't have a lot of experience with introducing rats when their such seniors.

On the other hand, Annie is happy as can be and loves every person and rat she meets She has gotten so big and definitely holds her own against big sister Penny the punk! :mrgreen: I have SO many pictures of her, here are some of my favorites from the past two weeks...

4 weeks old...
PvQU2.jpg

ni5Xs.jpg

:heart:

My Cookie!
OSFw0.jpg

PX90L.jpg

nfZrD.jpg

3xul3.jpg

And here's old boy Ralph getting his snuggles...
4RyrP.jpg

yhNnZ.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

i am very sorry for your loss...it is so hard to lose these special little friends..
Annie does look incredible. You have done such a great job with her.....she is such a lucky little girl.

Very sorry for your loss.

It sounds like they might be good together ....sounds like intros have been going well ...
although 6 weeks is a bit too young for a baby to be with older rats
Are there only 4 ratties?
I would try them all together and see how it goes ... and 4 ratties would be fine in 1 section if you were concerned that Ralph might be left alone.
But you would need to keep an eye on things ...
Some ratties enjoy being grandpa (or grandma) and it gives them a new lease on life ....

Oh I'm so sorry .. I can hear that this has been such a hard time... so many losses. :hugs: These little creatures come along, capture our hearts and are such a great gift. It's really tough losing the ones we love.

You've done a super job with little Annie! Those photos.. Sooo sweet! And it sounds like you're doing all the right things with your remaining crew.. I think just hang in there!

Oh boy, Slapdash, you have definitely been through the mill!!! :sad3:

Hang in there sweetie. The guy upstairs probably needed each and every of your 7 little bundles which means that you are doing a wonderful job caring for them. :love6:

Little Annie looks incredible!!! :bunnydance:
It blows my mind to think that this is the same, little, girl who was injured by a snake!!!!! Her recovery is surreal! :rose:

Love and hugs to you.... hang in there(!!!) and love, cuddles and scritches to your babies. :hugs:

Back