Two week old baby with snake bite Update: 3/18 Need advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet little girl....I know when I have bottled fed kittens they never look as good or as clean as ones with mom's but they all turn out great...Once she is eating on her own and gets better at grooming she will look so sweet.

So glad to see the photos, and hear she's doing well. I can't answer the question about giving antibiotics for her tail. To me, it doesn't look too bad from the photo..

Can someone else with baby experience address that issue?

Her tail doesn't look bad to me. It does look like an odd shape though. Maybe her tail got broken when the snake bit it? Unless there is a lot of swelling and redness and heat, I would just give it time.
She is beautiful - I hope she continues to do well. Feed her whatever she'll eat - she needs to grow!

ETA: my ratties liked scrambled eggs around that age (and still do!)

jennifervb said:
Slapdash said:

Nominate for RPOM!!! (oh boy.... with Anastasia and the Puffball babies in the running....this is going to be a rough month!)
:yeah:
I second the nomination and the sentiment! Although, if it's gonna be a rough month, then this a pretty nice kind of rough! :laugh4:

OceanEyes117 said:
jennifervb said:
Slapdash said:

Nominate for RPOM!!! (oh boy.... with Anastasia and the Puffball babies in the running....this is going to be a rough month!)
I second the nomination and the sentiment! Although, if it's gonna be a rough month, then this a pretty nice kind of rough! :laugh4:

I know, right???!!!!!!!!!!!! :bunnydance: :hugs: OceanEyes117 :hugs:

Dahlas said:
I love that picture of Anastasia...what a sweet girl. I hope this little girl continues to do great!!!

She has earned every right to a long and prosperous life. The poor, helpless, precious and tiny little snooze. :love6:

Thanks everyone for all the comments and my first RPOM nomination :joy: She's doing great! In the past two days her personality has really blossomed and she's growing up so quickly. She's not much bigger lol but she's starting to play and climb. When I had her out with Penny, the 2 month old last night she was climbing on her trying to groom her and following her all around it was soooo cute! So based on my guess she's about 18-19 days old today, what other foods can I start giving her and how often? She's a little pig! I also picked up a small simple hamster cage to keep her in instead of the small tote she had and a little hidey house.

When can I stop stimulating her, she seems to poop on her own but not pee yet? And what about the supplying her heat, I've had the microwavable neck pillow in with her and I warm it up every few hours to put under one side of her tote? Oh and my last question, at what age would you think I can move her in with Penny? I feel bad because the plan was for Penny to move in with my existing girls, both a year old but because she has SO much energy she constantly wants to play with them and they're having none of it! And recently one of them has started showing signs of a PT so a big transition isn't the best thing for her. So now poor Penny is by herself on the bottom of my FN getting playtime on the bed with one of the girls an hour a day and Anastasia about a half hour a day. :( It's such a bad time in her life to not have a cagemate :cry: but she was very unexpected as well, found by mall security in a petco box left overnight in the parking lot! So little Anastasia coming along was really good timing for Penny!

Thanks again everyone for all your help it is soooo appreciated! I have some adorable videos I'm going to try and figure out how to post tonight!

OceanEyes117 said:
jennifervb said:
Slapdash said:

Don't forget to add this picture to the RPOM for March......

Slapdash said:
Thanks everyone for all the comments and my first RPOM nomination :joy: She's doing great! In the past two days her personality has really blossomed and she's growing up so quickly. She's not much bigger lol but she's starting to play and climb. When I had her out with Penny, the 2 month old last night she was climbing on her trying to groom her and following her all around it was soooo cute! So based on my guess she's about 18-19 days old today, what other foods can I start giving her and how often? She's a little pig! I also picked up a small simple hamster cage to keep her in instead of the small tote she had and a little hidey house.

When can I stop stimulating her, she seems to poop on her own but not pee yet? And what about the supplying her heat, I've had the microwavable neck pillow in with her and I warm it up every few hours to put under one side of her tote? Oh and my last question, at what age would you think I can move her in with Penny? I feel bad because the plan was for Penny to move in with my existing girls, both a year old but because she has SO much energy she constantly wants to play with them and they're having none of it! And recently one of them has started showing signs of a PT so a big transition isn't the best thing for her. So now poor Penny is by herself on the bottom of my FN getting playtime on the bed with one of the girls an hour a day and Anastasia about a half hour a day. :( It's such a bad time in her life to not have a cagemate :cry: but she was very unexpected as well, found by mall security in a petco box left overnight in the parking lot! So little Anastasia coming along was really good timing for Penny!

Thanks again everyone for all your help it is soooo appreciated! I have some adorable videos I'm going to try and figure out how to post tonight!

Food wise you can start offering her a lot of different food...scrambled egg....soaked lab blocks are great for them....baby cereal, Next week I would start adding things like kitten chow, lab blocks (soaked and hard) cheerios, maybe a few peas.....she has a tiny tummy so won't be able to eat much but will start to want to try things....My babies like if I put it in my mouth first....like a cheerio...not a lab block...LOL They seem to try things better that way...

I am not sure about her and the other baby....I would start to let her and the other baby together supervised only after 3 weeks....but by the time she is 5 or 6 weeks old they should be able to be together but I will let others with more experience on this tell you for sure

Thanks, I've been giving her baby cereal and she had some eggs today :) Going to give her some mushy lab blocks to try tomorrow.

I forgot to add earlier, her neck wound is healed, furs grown back already! And I do think her tail was broken when bit, it's still bent a little :( It's looking better though, just taking much longer than her neck to heal. Thanks again!

Anastassia is georgeous :heart: I can't imagine the horror she went through before comming to you....(shudder) :sad3: :bow: God bless you for giving her a chance at life. I'm so glad she has a good, and hopefully long, life ahead of her. I think fate brought you 2 together.

This is so amazing. When I first saw this thread, I couldn't believe it...I would never have thought a rattie that young could survive a snake bite.

Good work! She's a cutie!

Back