Two week old baby with snake bite Update: 3/18 Need advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad she's holding her own. The nipple for baby squirrels sounds like it would work wonderfully.
The neck wound looks great! Have you been soaking her tail in a salt solution to try and draw out any infection? It might help...
Now what you should do is drive up here to Nova Scotia and drop her off with Dahlas for a few weeks. From the size of Alba's babies, I'm sure she's got plenty for one more, and she's the same age as them!

As soon as those eyes open life will get a lot easier for both of you, and she should start eating out of a dish. The neck wound looks good, but I wouldn't give her clavamox as that could really mess up her digestive system and if she gets diarrhea it could kill her, especially since she's on a liquid diet.

Soak the tail in salt water like Joanne suggests and see how it does? Is it really hot and red or only a little hot meaning healing and injury?

She's lovely and a very lucky baby to have you. :heart: :cuddle:

Joanne said:
I'm glad she's holding her own. The nipple for baby squirrels sounds like it would work wonderfully.
The neck wound looks great! Have you been soaking her tail in a salt solution to try and draw out any infection? It might help...
Now what you should do is drive up here to Nova Scotia and drop her off with Dahlas for a few weeks. From the size of Alba's babies, I'm sure she's got plenty for one more, and she's the same age as them!

I would welcome her with open arms and a very fat momma rat. I looked immediately to see if I was close to you....

Hi everyone, the baby is doing well :joy:

Sorry I couldn't post till now, she's been keeping me busy! Man I knew it would be a lot of work but I had no idea! lol But she's totally melting my heart, she knows my scent now and since I'm the only one that feeds her (hubbys afraid he's going to hurt her and won't hold her still enough lol) she's definitely bonding with me as mommy. :heart: As soon as I put my hand in her carrier she wobbles out looking for me and if I put her on the bed to walk around for a minute or two she immediately runs to my closest hand. She seems very strong and so much more active the past two days, probably since her eyes are now open. Is it normal for them to start getting a bundle of energy at this age, she just moves and climbs sometimes with no real destination :lol: My only concern is she's not really gaining weight, today is the 5th day since I've gotten her and she's been eating every 4 hours, usually 2cc sometimes 3 but it's hard to say because a lot of it spills all over her, but after every feeding she has a full/big looking tummy.
I didn't start the abs yet, I saw lilspaz post, but I'm still a little concerned about the clicking I sometimes hear in her breathing, but it's really only when she's eating so I don't think it's necessarily resp. At least I have it on hand if she seems to need it, just going to keep a close eye. Oh and her tail is a little better, I've been soaking it 2-3 times a day, but I can only do so for about 2 minutes before she starts squirming like crazy. But overall the actual bites look the same but her tail is no longer red/swollen. I'll try to post some pics tonight. Thanks again everyone!

PS- She still needs a name, I'm having a hard time thinking of one I like. I was thinking of something that meant survivor/warrior/strong something along those lines or something meaning tiny/baby etc lol Suggestions welcome!

Also, I can start adding some baby cereal to the formula correct? I added a little tiny bit last night at her bedtime feeding to start getting her ready to wean off nighttime feedings. Her eyes have been open for at least three days now.

Slapdash said:
Also, I can start adding some baby cereal to the formula correct? I added a little tiny bit last night at her bedtime feeding to start getting her ready to wean off nighttime feedings. Her eyes have been open for at least three days now.

She is probably around 16 days old then.....
I would start letting her lick baby cereal off your fingers and giving her a small dish of it...My babies are 19 days old...and have been licking up ceral for a few days.....Soak some lab blocks in hot water...and add a small amount of her 'formula"...

I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well! Energetic babies are a good thing!
You may find that she will put on some weight with the baby cereal. I wouldn't be surprised if she's a bit light just because she is not getting her ideal diet (momma's milk).
I like Tawnie because it makes me think of a lioness...(insert little teeny roar here LOL)
I love to hear how she is doing - feel free to post some pictures too sometime! ;)

TheRatQueen said:
You need an amazon type name!

Hermione.... (Her My Own ee for those who are not familiar with the name from Harry Potter. :cheeky: )

She is a brave and powerful girl with a heart of gold (in my opinion)

Actually.... I don't really care what name this baby rat is given. She is beautiful and amazing and I would probably forget her name anyway due to the state of awe and enchantment that I get from her resilient little soul. :love6:

Hi everyone, Anastasia is doing well! I loved all the name suggestions, thank you! I just happened to be reading something today, wasn't even thinking about finding her name and I was like, "that's it" and when I looked up the meaning, "resurrection" it was a done deal :heart:

She's been loving the baby cereal mixed in to her formula, she's licking it up off my fingers and gets so excited she starts trying to power suck my hand it's so cute watching her get milk all over herself! I think she is gaining a little weight because from the pictures I took today she looks a little bigger but so I think the scale I have may not be accurate within 5-10g or so, it's only a cheap kitchen scale afterall?

So here they are...most are from the thu-sun and the last one is from today.

Wish this one had focused

NDNgy.jpg

KhS98.jpg

czXsr.jpg

There's no sleep like a baby with a full belly and a fresh bath (She makes such a mess, I have to wipe down with a warm cloth at least 4-5 times a day! :lol: )
is49d.jpg

And I took these of her tail last night, should I start her on the abs to possibly help speed up the healing? I'm soaking it s often as I can but it looks like there's puss in one of them except I've tried to squeeze a little with no success and it's still very sensitive.

IrtEJ.jpg

7Xk9L.jpg

Back