Two week old baby with snake bite Update: 3/18 Need advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hprats said:
This is so amazing. When I first saw this thread, I couldn't believe it...I would never have thought a rattie that young could survive a snake bite.

Good work! She's a cutie!

Yes. This is indeed a heartwarming story. What a lovely little rat, rescued by one great rat loving person!

With Jazzy's babies, they moved in with their aunties when they were four weeks old. I would just be cautious as she may be a bit delayed without all the benefits of being raised by a momma. Maybe try them for several hours at a time, to see how she does, and make sure she doesn't get too exhausted or is being picked on by the older girl. You'll be able to tell how she's feeling - if she doesn't want to go back to her own cage, that's great!

Slapdash said:
Thanks everyone for all the comments and my first RPOM nomination :joy: She's doing great! In the past two days her personality has really blossomed and she's growing up so quickly. She's not much bigger lol but she's starting to play and climb. When I had her out with Penny, the 2 month old last night she was climbing on her trying to groom her and following her all around it was soooo cute! So based on my guess she's about 18-19 days old today, what other foods can I start giving her and how often? She's a little pig! I also picked up a small simple hamster cage to keep her in instead of the small tote she had and a little hidey house.

When can I stop stimulating her, she seems to poop on her own but not pee yet? And what about the supplying her heat, I've had the microwavable neck pillow in with her and I warm it up every few hours to put under one side of her tote? Oh and my last question, at what age would you think I can move her in with Penny? I feel bad because the plan was for Penny to move in with my existing girls, both a year old but because she has SO much energy she constantly wants to play with them and they're having none of it! And recently one of them has started showing signs of a PT so a big transition isn't the best thing for her. So now poor Penny is by herself on the bottom of my FN getting playtime on the bed with one of the girls an hour a day and Anastasia about a half hour a day. :( It's such a bad time in her life to not have a cagemate :cry: but she was very unexpected as well, found by mall security in a petco box left overnight in the parking lot! So little Anastasia coming along was really good timing for Penny!

Thanks again everyone for all your help it is soooo appreciated! I have some adorable videos I'm going to try and figure out how to post tonight!

I actually just asked Jorats this...and she recommend that baby rats not be introduced to older rats until 8 weeks...as she has heard of "aunties" killing young rats......I am not sure if this applies if one is a older baby.....Might be a good idea to pm her and ask...in case she misses this question.

I understand the hesitation, but if the other girl is only about 2 months old now, wouldn't she still be in baby mode, and not like an established adult?

If the other baby is 2 months old, I would put them together but with very close supervision and not move in until you are absolutely certain that all will work out.

jorats said:
If the other baby is 2 months old, I would put them together but with very close supervision and not move in until you are absolutely certain that all will work out.

Penny, the other baby is doing really well with supervised visits on the bed with Annie. But I checked the calendar to be sure on her age because I was taking an estimate when I said 8 weeks in my first post last week. She's probably closer to 10-12. I'm posting pics for others opinions. again she was found in a mall parking lot so I have no real idea of her age but here she is the day after we got her, still the size of my hand, I want to say 4 -5 inches long, not including her tail and she weighed about 100 grams.

XRd5F.jpg

And here she is today, she's very playful and always moving so it's hard to get a good pic of her lol

2EJwO.jpg

For the past 4-5 days I've been letting them out on the bed together and Penny is really good with her, Annie will even bite her tail sometimes and she just jumps a little but does't react more than that. They've both groomed eachother a little here and there and Annie tries real hard to keep up with Penny it's soooo cute! I'm going to film their time out tomorrow and I'll have try to upload it. Thanks again!

SlapDash. :hugs: Too rarely a critter is snatched from the teeth of hell to be comforted by the tongue of heaven. I expect your hands will support her while Penny's tongue (hopefully) grooms her. Too many bad stories for ratties, we so crave and are so grateful for stories like Anastasia & you.
Bless her little heart! And bless your big one!

Hi everyone sorry, it's been a crazy weekend. She is getting so big and changing so much everyday! Her and Penny are still getting along during their out time, for now Penny mostly ignores her but stops and gives her a quick groom here and there. Oh and she is almost up to 30 grams! She's trying to eat everything now :lol: I probably take about a dozen or two pics of her everyday lol so I'm just going to dump the last 4 days or so...and sadly I cannot get the videos to upload, going to need to enlist the hubby's help for that one but in the meantime here's lots of pictures :dance:

http://imgur.com/a/IR6cv/all

Slapdash said:
Hi everyone sorry, it's been a crazy weekend. She is getting so big and changing so much everyday! Her and Penny are still getting along during their out time, for now Penny mostly ignores her but stops and gives her a quick groom here and there. Oh and she is almost up to 30 grams! She's trying to eat everything now :lol: I probably take about a dozen or two pics of her everyday lol so I'm just going to dump the last 4 days or so...and sadly I cannot get the videos to upload, going to need to enlist the hubby's help for that one but in the meantime here's lots of pictures :dance:

http://imgur.com/a/IR6cv/all

You are the only "mom" she knows. :love6:

Back