Twiggy - Not a Tumor?? Scab's Off..Icky Pic Time

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He'll go see Dr Munn once things open up again. Get it flushed and cleaned out under anesthetic, etc. An abscess capsule removal is the same price as a tumour removal so I likely won't go that route at this time in his life.

Last night it "burst" or I gently squeezed it while liquid pus came out, and out, and out! Jenny/Crumbilina was over last night and she had never had to deal with abscesses so she learned a LOT. :thumbsup2: She kept handing me wads of TP and then stepping back so it didn't spray her. :sick2: The scab had separated leaving a small hole for my special flushing syringe to get into...after gently squeezing out the liquid pus, then I flushed with the saline nasal rinse packs I have. It took 6 cc's of fluid before the cavity was as full as before we started!!! :shocked2: But he was sooo good this time, no scraping needed. :)

Here is the syringe I use
syringeforflushing.jpg

Poor boyo! But at least it's open and hopefully can heal up well this time.

I know what you're going through, Twiggy, and you're being a real champ for your mama!

There's nothing more gratifying than a big ole gob of pus! LOL
Glad to hear it's draining again.
What kind of a tip is that on the end of your syringe? It appears somewhat flexible...

xxchelle said:
And the gross pics are where...? C'mon Shelagh, you know I need some cheering up :lol:

HAHAHA...sorry it was just gobs and spurts of yellow liquid pus everywhere, not exactly pic worthy on TP, BUT once that scab opens up it should be much more gory LOL...just wait :)

lilspaz68 said:
xxchelle said:
And the gross pics are where...? C'mon Shelagh, you know I need some cheering up :lol:

HAHAHA...sorry it was just gobs and spurts of yellow liquid pus everywhere, not exactly pic worthy on TP, BUT once that scab opens up it should be much more gory LOL...just wait :)

ooooo... this is definitely something to look forward to! Not for poor Twiggy tho, but it is a healing step...

YAY! Twiggy :D

Hi Shelagh:

I'm just reading this thread now and wanted to tell you that I also had a boy rat, Tiggies, who had developed something very similar and in the same spot, only on the other side of his face. It came up quickly, like your boy's did, and Tiggie would cry out if I touched the area. I brought him in to the vet, who did a surgery on him to see if it was tumor or abcess; it turned out to be an abcess (like your boys). She told me that these are quite common, especially in male rats and that they can be 'prone to them' and that these abcesses will tend to return. $400 later, but looking good, I brought him home - only to have the abcess flare right back up to its original size the following week!

Well...I decided that I would have to lance it myself, knowing it was full of thick pus, like your boy's looks in the pics; I'd use warm, moist facecloths to soften the skin and just prick and opening into the skin to allow the pus to come out. I kept him on steady antibiotics. It took about 8 months for the abcessing to finally stop and for it to go away.

So, hang in there; as bad as it looks, if you keep the area very clean and keep him medicated, I feel strongly that this will eventually heal.

All best to you.

Thanks Ratticus!

Well Twiggy's scab came off easily yesterday. But I had to cut off the hanging bits so it wouldn't get caught on anything. There seems to be channels where the infection may be burrowing in under his ear? It seems to be less painful this time, and I tried mamarat2's method of cleaning it out then packing with sugar to see if that works this time.

Gross pics so they are under a spoiler

[spoiler:kv80xc3p]
may7Twiggysscab.jpg

may7Twiggysopenabscess.jpg

may7Twiggysopenabscess2.jpg
[/spoiler:kv80xc3p]

And this morning, happy in his new hammock. Jenny/Crumbilina adores Twiggy and made him his very own hammock...when he's not running happily on the floor he loves to lounge in his hammock. :D

may8Twiggy.jpg

Yay Icky pics! LOL
I'll be interested to see how the sugar works. I am guessing that the sugar causes the bacteria to die because of a wicked osmotic gradient? I think it would be difficult to keep any of the other ratties from licking it though...

Joanne said:
Yay Icky pics! LOL
I'll be interested to see how the sugar works. I am guessing that the sugar causes the bacteria to die because of a wicked osmotic gradient? I think it would be difficult to keep any of the other ratties from licking it though...

He lives alone...he goes straight for other rats with no preliminaries...he made inoffensive Pocky bleed badly :(

Overall, although the hole is large and raw, it looks pretty clean. My only concern is that it is so close to his ear (and forgive me if I've missed this somewhere in the thread), but I assume he's on a steady antibiotic while you also use secondary means to combat this infection. Please let us know how the sugar treatment goes.

I tend to use colloidal silver in small amounts (can be sprayed on) to wounds, etc. and have found it heals well, does not sting, etc.

I guess the big thing is trying to get him NOT to scratch at the area (any bacteria in his toe nails), or to remove new scabbing as it tries to heal.

Do you think this is a case of it 'looking worse than it actually is'? Infection's nothing to undermine, but sometimes wounds can look so gross, yet are not as badly off as we might think.

I feel strongly that if you can keep the area clean and keep him medicated, he'll heal up. It may take some significant time, as it did for my former boy. His face/eyes have good spirit; he looks happy and well in every other respect, and that's a very good sign. :D

Back