Twiggy - Not a Tumor?? Scab's Off..Icky Pic Time

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I felt something a day or so ago, but Twiggy was squirming so much to be let down and to explore...this morning it was very evident. It's back, but in the more normal location for ZG...right under the ear. :sad3: He's on baytril and doxy, and I will watch and wait. It would be lovely if it was a recurring abscess, but I shall not hold my breath. :undecided:

apr30Twiggy.jpg

apr30Twiggy2.jpg

Do you have a needle and syringe at home? You could do your own fine needle aspiration. You couldn't look at the cells, but if the syringe fills up with pus, that would give you an answer.

Joanne said:
Do you have a needle and syringe at home? You could do your own fine needle aspiration. You couldn't look at the cells, but if the syringe fills up with pus, that would give you an answer.

Twiggy is a tilty...which means he rolls...I won't even attempt an FNA by myself. I'll know soon enough I guess. :(

Well "good" news for me, not so much for Twiggy :cheeky: The scab is reforming, and there's a definite smell of infection. :joy: He's on baytril and doxy for a slight URI so that should help with the abscess coming to a head. :)

may2Twiggy.jpg

may2Twiggy2.jpg

Abcesses can come back over and over again. If this looks to be recurring, it might be worth having the puss cultured to see it there are any antibiotics that would kill it for sure. Or you could bathe him in iodine. Poor little fella! I'm sure he'll be able to tough it out with you looking after him.

The last time this happened, I was sure there was still pus inside when it healed over, so I sort of expected this, but was lulled by the length of time he was swelling-free :p

I don't think pus even needs to be inside it D: If there was once an abcess in a place, you're likely to keep getting one there until you get some really exact antibiotics and maybe surgery to remove all the flesh that's been tunneled through by pus - after a while, the insides of the tunnels heal, and you've just got warm, damp pockets waiting for bacteria to get in. (my mum is diabetic and used to have abcesses in her gums and on her leg all the time - they virtually vanished after she gave up smoking, so try hiding Twiggy's lighter.)

I'm sure if you can keep draining the yuck out so that it doesn't build up and cause pain, he'll be fine. Rats aren't quite as bothered by having scabby, stinky bits on them as people are...

Back