The story of Goliath, March 2008

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

I was answering a few posts on Goose recently and a girl had posted that she had bought a baby boy out of the feeder tank to be a companion to her other boy. But the little rat was sneezing and making noises...

She posted this video asking if it was a URI...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6_btYotRs

:shock:

We all told her that was a sick boy and needed a vet. Later on we were told the young owner's mom wouldn't take him to the vet or have him pts. "He was going to die anyways" was the reasoning we all hear too often :evil:

The girl decided (on her own) that she should rehome him to someone who could give him medical attention. Then she posted where she was located. Now you have to remember this is a forum that has a very international membership but 80-85% of them are US...of course the girl lives in Brampton. :doh:

I have posted on CRA (Canada Rat Adoption board) for possible transport if the girl cannot find a friend to drive her right away(Saturday or Monday are the possibilities which are 2 -4 days away). The sooner this little guy is on meds, the better.

After a few emails I found out that this video was 5 days ago and he is not quite as bad, so my thinking is that he is one tough little baby boy to survive a week that sick, and will hopefully survive long enough to make it to me.

BUT he could do with your healthy/stay alive vibes in the meantime. I never name a rat until i have met them in person but I might name this little feller just in case he never makes it :sad-p:

Oh God!! That's heartbreaking! Listening to him breathe like that... it just makes my eyes tear up... I hope he makes it to you!!! He just has to... :cry5:

lilspaz68 said:
I was answering a few posts on Goose recently and a girl had posted that she had bought a baby boy out of the feeder tank to be a companion to her other boy. But the little rat was sneezing and making noises...

She posted this video asking if it was a URI...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv6_btYotRs

:shock:

We all told her that was a sick boy and needed a vet. Later on we were told the young owner's mom wouldn't take him to the vet or have him pts. "He was going to die anyways" was the reasoning we all hear too often :evil:

The girl decided (on her own) that she should rehome him to someone who could give him medical attention. Then she posted where she was located. Now you have to remember this is a forum that has a very international membership but 80-85% of them are US...of course the girl lives in Brampton. :doh:

I have posted on CRA (Canada Rat Adoption board) for possible transport if the girl cannot find a friend to drive her right away(Saturday or Monday are the possibilities which are 2 -4 days away). The sooner this little guy is on meds, the better.

After a few emails I found out that this video was 5 days ago and he is not quite as bad, so my thinking is that he is one tough little baby boy to survive a week that sick, and will hopefully survive long enough to make it to me.

BUT he could do with your healthy/stay alive vibes in the meantime. I never name a rat until i have met them in person but I might name this little feller just in case he never makes it :sad-p:

How far is Brampton from you Lilspaz? Is it possible for the both of you to meet half way? Does she have a vet but not the finances? Would it be possible to contact the girl's vet and provide him/her with the necessary money to get the boy on meds until he can be transported to you?

I pity the girl's mother. She can be grateful that I'm not her daughter... :mad:

lilspaz68 said:
Here's the original thread Jennifer. No the vet is even farther than I am from her.

http://www.goosemoose.com/component/opt ... ,4034913.0

The little thing sounds just awful!!! I wish I were not 600 miles away. I would drop by her house, pick up the little fur face and bring her to you. :tearful:

Have there been any new developments? Is she going to be able to bring him to you on Saturday???

She is checking with her friend who may drive her tomorrow. I just worry about the may part. I would take a bus up to get him, but a direct drive of 1/2 an hour over 2 hours on transit is a huge difference to a sick little man.

I think I have her impressed with the urgency and she really is trying to do the right thing. I cannot imagine how frightened he is right now, not being able to breathe while this huge monster looks at me, and sometimes picks me up and holds me.

No emails about transport from CRA members yet.

lilspaz68 said:
She is checking with her friend who may drive her tomorrow. I just worry about the may. I would take a bus up to get him, but a direct drive of 1/2 an hour over 2 hours on transit is a huge difference to a sick little man.

I think I have her impressed with the urgency and she really is trying to do the right thing. I cannot imagine how frightened he is right now, not being able to breathe and being stuck under a (laundrybasket/waste paper basket?) while this huge monster looks at me, and sometimes picks me up and holds me.

No emails about transport from CRA members yet.

it is a 9 hour drive from where I live to Toronto. Do we have any other members, in or near Toronto, who could do the transport? I would worry that I would get up there only to find out that the little man had died while I was enroute.

Hey lilspaz - did she mention where she was in Brampton? and are you in Toronto? or somewhere else in the GTA (I only ask because driving in BIG places with lots of cars makes me nervous but....)

Could you please let me know if you speak with her in regards to transport tomorrow? I have a HUGE assignment due monday and alot of studying to do but to take 3-4 hours tonight (hour drive to Brampton from Guelph) and help this little guy....i mean assignments can wait right?

Lemme know....
I'll have to talk to Bri when he gets home from work....

EDIT: I havn't even watched the video. Im sitting here in class thinking about this poor little guy... :no:

Oh my goodness, poor little guy. It's so heartbreaking seeing him like this. I hope he gets to you soon Shelagh.

Oh my goodness. I'm in tears. That poor little guy is breaking my heart.

I appologize, I don't know your name lilspaz, but I live an hour and a half north of Toronto and want to help.
I just got into a slight car accident yesterday (rear ended someone who SLAMMED on their brakes), but my car is 100% driveable. I'm just a bit shaken up.
I live in Peterborough. Google Maps says to get to Brampton should take me close to two hours. Thats fine by me.
The only this is is that my husband will have the car all tomorrow, so if would could super quickly work things out for today that would work to my advantage.
If not, I'll see what I can do to get the car for tomorrow.

Thoughts?
I want this guy to get help ASAP.

okie, well im gonna go to the dog park around 4
but in light of the storm tomorrow hopefully this little guy can make it to Shelagh's before then

Excellent, thanks so much.

I'm also really not opposed to driving late at night. As long as its not freezing rain. Snow I can handle, as long as its not insane.

Back