Suddenly dead

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should I force-wean them? will mum not get sore teats? they are drinking a lot, she runs to pick them up and give them milk :wink:

Thanks for info, once I hear one wrong info from the vet, it makes me doubt all the rest of the info :evil:

I removed my boys at 4.5 weeks old from Mom. I have heard of force weaning in circumstances where mom needed to be medicated, or she was in poor condition. Make sure those babies have some baby formula mixed into some baby cereal for awhile to make the transition easier on their tummies, lots of veggies and regular food. Mom should dry out pretty quickly since she's close to it anyways.

At 4.5 weeks Bronny was trying to hide from her babies. :p

Avalon is weaker today than he was yesterday :( I haven't been able to get any ensure in him, and he almost choked on the baytril I gave him this morning.

Annbritt said:
Avalon is weaker today than he was yesterday :( I haven't been able to get any ensure in him, and he almost choked on the baytril I gave him this morning.

I am sorry Ann. :( Keep him comfortable. :( Have you tried seeing if he will lick it from your fingers? Often they will do it just out of love for you. :(

Annbritt said:
No, it didn't work, he bit me instead :( And I can't force the syringe into his mouth, he keeps fighting against it.

Maybe he doesn't like the flavour?

Have you tried rehydrating fluid?

Homemade rehydrating formula: 10 oz warm water, 1 tsp sugar, 1/3 tsp salt. Mix well, refrigerate extra, warm up to feed.

If he won't drink period, he may be giving up. You could take him to the vet for sub-q fluids and get your vet to teach you how to do it at home. I used butterfly needles and ringers lactate myself. If he will allow it I can help you get through it. :(

If you think he's had enough, make him comfortable and let him pass or have him pts. :(

I saw him drink from the waterbottle yesterday before I went to bed, and that was a good sign. But I haven't seen him do it today. I will try the rehydrating fluid. I don't think he is giving up just yet. When I put him back in the cage, he started washing himself.
My vet won't let me use needles by myself, so I will have to go out there tomorrow (it is too late to do it today), and have some sub-q fluids for him.

Annbritt said:
It is the syringe he doesn't like. He struggles whenever I try to force it into his mouth, clawing at me.

Have you tried a dab of peanut butter on the end for him to lick at? then squeeze the contents in? thats a trick I have heard.

Do you slip the syringe into his mouth on an angle?

Whats your technique for syringing?

I hold around his body with one hand, using my fingers to hold his head, and then out the syringe in his mouth just by the side of his teeth. It's a bit difficult to explaine.
I haven't tried peanut butter, we don't have any, and I don't even know where it can be bought, because I don't like it myself. But maybe I could use a bit of liver paté.

Annbritt said:
I hold around his body with one hand, using my fingers to hold his head, and then out the syringe in his mouth just by the side of his teeth. It's a bit difficult to explaine.
I haven't tried peanut butter, we don't have any, and I don't even know where it can be bought, because I don't like it myself. But maybe I could use a bit of liver paté.
I can't see how he would say no to liver pate! Good luck!

This is how I syringe my rats.

I sit down, put the rat in my lap, give them a couple of body strokes to calm them down. I put my left hand around their body, then bend down flat over them so my upper body is pressed against their back. I straigten up a bit with the rat pressed firmly into my body. I put my figners around their shoulders so that their paws are trapped below my hand (no protesting hands to push at the syringe). I put the syringe in the side of their mouth on a 45 degree angle.

Its easy to do but takes forever to type. the next time someone is over I will get them to video my technique :)

That's the same technique I use, but he claws at the hand I'm holding him with, so I can't get a firm grip.

I've put him in a cage now with only his brother, and he is drinking camomile tea from a bottle :joy: It's better than nothing, so I'm a bit happier.

What about my maybe-pregnant female? I haven't given her anything, as I don't know what is safe for her. She's in her own room and showing no signs, but in case she gets ill, what is safe for the unborn?

Oh no guys, this is so scary and upsetting.

Annbritt, I had a terrible time medicating my girls recently..I know what you're going through.

Bati said:
What about my maybe-pregnant female? I haven't given her anything, as I don't know what is safe for her. She's in her own room and showing no signs, but in case she gets ill, what is safe for the unborn?

If she gets ill, you will have to worry about saving her rather than her unborn fetuses. :(

Back