Suddenly dead

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh god Bati, I'm so sorry. This is horrible. :cry:

Shelagh, yes, Ibuprofen should do it.

Bati, don't feel so bad, my vet is not one to give away metacam either. We have to show her that our rat really needs it before she will dispense it. She's also an exotic vet but in her studies, she has found that you need to be very careful with metacam but now with the new information, this is not true. My vet is slowly starting to take my word for it.

Sending husband to farmacy for eyecreme (just in case) and childrens ibuprofen, but how much should they have of that?

Found something I think is ensure, my sweet Benjamin drank 5-6 ml of it, and got a bit better, happy that I found something he'll take and that it's doing him good.

Bati said:
Sending husband to farmacy for eyecreme (just in case) and childrens ibuprofen, but how much should they have of that?

Found something I think is ensure, my sweet Benjamin drank 5-6 ml of it, and got a bit better, happy that I found something he'll take and that it's doing him good.

INFANTS ibuprofen liquid...infant is more concentrated, so less of a dose to get into each rat that needs it.

Any meal replacement drink should be good, since its food and liquid all at once. I am soo glad your Benjamin is feeling a bit better. :D

Bati said:
Benjamin is now eating Basil-flowers (his favorit)
We don't have any liquid ibuprofen, and I know the tablets taste horrible :?

Its really only for the throat swelling to bring it down. :( Others here have used it for pain when they couldn't get prescription pain meds.

Yeah don't use the tabs.

When my Cado was dying, literally on death's door, what saved him is me forcing meal replacement drink down his throat.
Drink little guy!!!

Avalon seems better today than he did last night, he isn't so weak that he is just laying around, I have put him in a cage for himself with a bowl of the meal replacement drink and some curly cale. But he is more interested in how to get out of the cage, so he isn't dying on me just yet.

OMG Bati & Annbritt :cry:
Bati, I'm so sorry for your losses and hope there will be no more, and Annbritt I hope your little guy will come around and be all right.
My heart & hopes are with you.

Bati said:
I give them 0,4 ml / kg and its 25 mg/ml baytrill

The vet I have is actually considered the best in Copenhagen, but 5 years ago he knew nothing about rats, and yes he studied medicin, which is why he knows better and can say no - I feel helpless, Annbritts vet don't even give out baytrill enough for her rats, so I have to help her on that. 2 years ago I had to go to 13 different vets to get the medicin I wanted in the quantity I wanted :?

They look really bad, only the boys, not my litter, not my girls and not my two cages with two rats in each.

I guess I just dont understand their refusal to give out meds that the animals so obviously need.

Im so sorry for your losses and I hope the rest of your babies are able to pull through all of this :(

I have babies, 4½ weeks old, I want to give them doxy, how much? vet said to give twice a day (but also says to give it in youghurt). I know about not giving baytrill and doxy at the same time (and not giving baytrill to babies), but I wonder if you have another dose than I (10 mg / kg rat). Can I give baytrill to mum? they are still getting milk from her

Glad I'm on vacation, it takes time to dose and administer, but my sweet Benjamin is just slightly better, only because of the ensure I think, never heard of it before reading it on here :)

And I lied to the vet, saying I have 126 rats, so now I'm off to the postoffice sending first-aid pack to Annbritt with medication 8)

Good for you for lying to that vet. I am soo glad you were able to help AnnBritt!!! :thumbup:

Oh boy!!! Doxycycline is NOT to be given with dairy since the calcium binds to the doxy and renders it pretty useless. NO yogurt. :(

Doxycycline is pediatric friendly and should be given twice a day.

From Ratguide.com
Considerations
# Doxycycline may be given with food. Reports indicate that the drug appears to be only 20% hindered by the intake of food or dairy and is not deemed clinically significant. 6

However, absorption of doxycycline is impaired by calcium, magnesium, and iron containing preparations. It is recommended they be given two hours before or after giving doxycyline.

# Although the manufacturer states that it does not affect the GI flora it is recommended that a probiotic containing lactobacillus be given, such as Bene-bac, if the drug is used in conjunction with other antibiotics that adversely affect normal GI flora.

Babies are 4.5 weeks old, I would wean them since if mom goes on meds then they will be getting it thru her milk as well as their own dose. :(

She probably needs baytril herself

Back