Suddenly dead

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He has been on medication since we found out about this virus. But it doesn't seem to work on him. He is very ill, and I don't think he will survive :cry:

I am soo sorry Ann. :'(

I have to ask about the ELISA test. The rat that it was done on. How long after initial symptoms showed was the ELISA performed? The ELISA shows the antibodies after the SDA virus has actually shed the body and if you do it too soon then it will give you a false negative.

Before having blood drawn for an ELISA test you must allow time for antibodies to develop. This will take 2 to 3 weeks after the initial exposure (1-2 weeks after clinical symptoms appear). Testing a clinically ill rat can often result in false negative results.

Well, some happy news too. Noodle was with a female, Niez, when the virus broke out, and a bit after too. The plan was to start quarantine all over again, when the babies were born. And now she has gained 80 grams of weight.
I'm almost certain she is pregnant with little Noodle babies :) I've been crying just out of happiness. I look at her all the time, her belly is so beautiful. She doesn't want me to carry her out of the cage anymore, so I just let her stay in there and give her curly cale and other good stuff. I'm going to have little mini-Noodles, I can't believe it, I'm so happy :)

from ratguide.com
SDA & THE BREEDER
The breeder has a special responsibility to the rat community. A breeder with a viral infection can spread the disease like wildfire and have a deadly impact on local fanciers. A breeding colony that has a viral infection MUST be completely shut down. Once it has recovered the breeder must observe a full post infection-quarantine. A full post-infection quarantine consists of absolutely no rats in or out (including no litters born). The length of the quarantine varies anywhere from 2- 4 months after the last signs of illness or the last babies are weaned and symptom free.. It is highly important that NO new litters be bred during this time. Viral infections can literally be perpetuated forever if litters are continuously breed during & after an outbreak. When this happens you can have a situation where the SDA becomes enzootic. The breeder has a responsibility to make others aware of the outbreak. In case of exposure and to keep the diseases contained immediately alert other rat keepers and breeders to the possibility of contamination in the area. To reduce the risk of an outbreak it is recommended that new clients NOT visit the rattery. A closed rattery is less likely to contract or transmit disease. All ratteries, even closed ratteries, should practice a quarantine time each year for several months (no new rats and NO breeding) to ensure a virus free population.

From what I understand the mother's immune system will protect the babies until after weaning then they may develop SDA.

http://www.petratscanada.com/sda.htm
If rats are breeding in the colony, all breeding must be stopped for at least 6-8 weeks after the last litter is weaned. Of course, no new rats should be introduced during this time.

Both Myrina, and another breeder, who had contact with Bati the day she transported the rats with the virus, are going to have their rats tested again, so we will know if it might be SDA afterall.

Annbritt said:
Both Myrina, and another breeder, who had contact with Bati the day she transported the rats with the virus, are going to have their rats tested again, so we will know if it might be SDA afterall.

Thats good news. Its worse not to know, unknown things that kill are even more scary.

Back