Suddenly dead

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Ratguide.com

Safe in pregnancy:
# Zithromax
# Tylosin
# Amoxicillin
# amoxicillin with clavulanate
# cefadroxil
# Prednisolone

Avoid:
# Most Fluoroquinolones: Ciprofloxacin/Enrofloxacin (Baytril) *
# Flagyl
# Reglan
# Albuterol
# Trimethoprim-sulfa
# Asprin (Can cause birth defects in rats)
# Tetracycline (May impede development of fetal bones and teeth)

What I am saying is that you can try the zithro or the amoxi or cefa (stay away from Tylosin, just too weak) but if mom gets very ill you may have to sacrifice the unborn to save her.

Good luck Bati!!!

and don't worry about it, whom I thought would be my 2nd vet failed the test. :( He told me rats cannot stay on baytril for long as it destroys their marrow and joints (not just babies), that baytril turns baby's teeth yellow, and that I can get Lepto from my rats, although they are never outside. :doh:

Sigh....I need Dr. Munn. :(

I've been at the vet with Avalon today, and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Well, my vet is a good one, so it isn't his fault.
What happened is, that Avalon due to dehydrating should have liquid under his skin. I was holding him, and when my vet put the needle in, Avalon totally paniced and bit me several times. It didn't take long before his fur was covered in my blood.
Avalon is not a rat, that normally bites, he is the sweetest little boy. But he was so scared.
My vet succeeded in getting a firm grip at the skin at his neck, and got the liquid under his skin.
I have just put Avalon back in his cage. I tried to cuddle with him a little first, but he was still frightened and bit me again. I hope he doesn't make a habit out of that, he is my little baby. I hope he just needs a little bit of peace together with his brother to calm down.
I got baytril and ronoxan for him and another rat, that started having trouble breathing last night. But I'll let him get over this bad experience before I try to force any more medication into his mouth.

He has totally lost his trust in me after what happened today :cry:
I have cuddled with him for an hour, he was sitting on my shoulder or laying under my blouse, and I could scratch him on the back. But as soon as my finger got near his head, he bit me again.
I want my little sweetheart back :cry:

Last night I found 11 suddenly ice-cold, took them to bed (send OH on sofa with cold girls), next morning 4 were dead, and the others still cold, some are not at all affected (luckyly my 2½ year old hairless little boy is fine still) - I hate this thing, and hate myself for causing it :cry:

lilspaz68 said:
I am so sorry Bati :(

How many are left?

Started with 52 - have lost 6. I'm now at my sisters taking care of her dog, and husband is home taking care of the rats, I know him, if all died he wouldn't say a thing on the phone. But some 20 are around 2, which is old and those I've lost have gone so quickly. Putting ensure in the mouth on the cold ones - it just drips out, like they can't get it down (is giving them metacam but no swelling so don't know why they don't swallow)

Oh Bati, I am so sorry for your losses and what you must be going thru. Don't compound it by being hard on yourself, your little ones wouldn't want you to feel that way. You must be so exhausted from worry and looking after everybody. Try to be very nice to yourself, ok?

Annbritt, I'm glad everyone's hanging in there. I feel bad for Avalon's fear, and you feeling he's turned away from you some. You'll win his trust back when his bad ime is past, ratties don't hold grudges when they know they're loved. How's your hand?

My hand's healing fine, thanks. But I must take Avalon to the vet next week, to get more liquid under his skin. I hope it can be done without him biting anyone this time. Poor boy, he has to go through it again, but it is for his own good.

Wear some gloves. You'll both feel better ir he doesn't hurt you, cause I'm sure he doesn't really want to and doesn't feel good if he does.

Avalon is doing much better, so I didn't have to go to the vet with him again :) I think he will be ok, he is still on medication, but he isn't just laying around all day. Today he started rehoming the cage, I think he's a bit bored now, with only Fuzzy as company. But the important thing is, that he is getting better.
I'm lucky, I haven't lost anyone yet, and none are seriously ill.

I feel so sorry for Bati and the other breeder, who have lost so many rats during the last week :(

Back