Sterling's Rescue Doors *Open*!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We still have 2 players in her game. He will end up with me should we get him. He will stay here too. For his safety and well-being. I don't want him house hopping anymore. I'm the one who reached out to begin with. She refused to let him go to a "rescue" and I was ok with that until it became a game for her and the more info we find out the more I need to get him away from her. "Jess" is waiting on a reply and the other person still in contact is also waiting for her to reply. We have 'drivers' set up already to pick up asap. Everyone is just waiting for the go from her.
We have quite the ragtag group pulling for this boy. Two are attempting to trace her photos online to find a location. We have an old address and if the recent pictures of the rat come from the same GPS area we have enough that Nicole (SPCA agent) will check on that address

Last edited:
Yes sorry I should have clarified. A Budgie is a Parakeet...a bird...
Also a social animal which is splitting the DCN she has with the rat. And he is alone too. And someone had a parrot cage photo and a buddy and that still wasn't enough to sell her. This woman is a nuthole

Last edited:
I wonder if calling them budgies is a Canadian thing. I remember once thinking, what is a parakeet. lol

It's the other way around, actually. "Parakeet" is an American colloquial term for a budgerigar. The correct name of the species is budgerigar, and "budgie" is the short form. The term parakeet for a budgie is a bit of a misnomer though, since there are actually many different species of parakeets.

Parakeet is more in the genus of the species Budgie is the short name for that specific breed

The term "parakeet" for a budgerigar was introduced by the American pet trade. Technically, yes... a budgie is a parakeet, but so are many other parrot species. To be very specific, all budgies are parakeets but not all parakeets are budgies. It's just a simple, very minor misnomer.

My apologies for sidetracking this thread... I'd like to restore the focus to the original, chief point of the discussion. Keep us posted on the outcome of the situation and these two (rat and budgie). I truly hope they find themselves in safe hands.

A budgie (short for "budgerigar") is another name for a parakeet.

Okay, so she's splitting a DCN between a rat and a bird??? Really.... I've never understood a bird as a pet - I find them too loud... I cannot imagine a rat would enjoy that either. Anything further on your attempt to get this rat?

Yes it appears so. Both animals have been photographed in the cage and with all the other facts we have it's been determined that are both in the same cage splitting the levels.
Budgies aren't too noisy and when properly interacted with are not usually super obnoxious
We are getting closer. She is starting to put some trust in our 2 players

Yes it appears so. Both animals have been photographed in the cage and with all the other facts we have it's been determined that are both in the same cage splitting the levels.
Budgies aren't too noisy and when properly interacted with are not usually super obnoxious
We are getting closer. She is starting to put some trust in our 2 players

I'm not sure if this is just plain sad or entertaining.. I wonder if she makes a habit out of behavior like this. Is she asking for money or anything in exchange for the rattie?

She first asked $4...what a random amount for a cash sale....then $10 then lowered back to $8.
The budgie she asked $7 for

It's a little entertaining but very sad that she is playing a game with a life. Someone has cross referenced her to our new 'bait' ad looking for a male rat to join a spayed female mischief. So hopefully that pulls her in that much more. The budgie seems to have been sold without much hullabaloo but we don't know who bought it sadly to make any connections

I can no longer see anything going on with the ad So I am living strictly on the screenshots and info from my csi team

We will have "Bandit" which is his actual name... by Sunday! She finally agreed to give him to "Jess" she won't give address til closer to but that's ok we are closer!!

KATTHEHIPPIE:
I am not sure if you were following my story about a rat on VarageSale that we were trying to attain. We called him Snowball but as we just got confirmation we will have him Sunday his name is Bandit. So I have to forward a thank you to you. Turns out the pictures of the DCN that "Jess" used from the internet were yours!!! It was your wicked skull and bones motif that she loved and felt comfortable with. All the homemade stuff.
I had to give dues where owed. Thanks for having an awesome passion for your ratties and having it emit through your photos. They just saved a rat in a different community!

I tried to private message you but it's not letting me right now from here.

Also anytime you see someone in London/Sarnia I am in Sarnia and work around southwestern Ontario

Hey, I had to "message" you here so I know you can see it. All of my messages are messed up right now and they're deleting themselves. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm gonna send you my email and phone number so we can discuss better. You can text me anytime. Hopefully you'll recieve it. Lol

nevermind your inbox is full lol I gave you my email though so you can message me through there. :)

Last edited:
It's all messaging I think. I have been trying every few hours to message you.
I will email you through my gmail acct so we can communicate further.

****UPDATE ON BANDIT***
We have him in our care. He was immediately adopted by one of the team members that worked so tirelessly to get him! He has 2 baby brothers that were going home today from here. He is in his new DCN exploring and testing out the water bottle which we figured out he hadn't ever seen one or at least not had one for a while. He was using a bowl I assume as when offered he had no issue. The bottle he climbed to the top (glass bottle hanging inside cage) and was digging at the top trying to figure out how to get the water out.
He's a super sweet boy with kisses for whoever will have them including his two new brothers. He's the big white dumbo boy here...

37a49a141688f168e316e97dd6e169eb.jpg

So...here's the downfall. Upon his pick up a discovery was made that answered a lot and made us ask a whole bunch of new ones.
HE HAD A COMPANION!!! His own brother from the same litter...she separated them at 8 months old. There answers the question of why she wouldn't give up the cage and why she cut me out because I would have advised against it....or whatever. I would have told her something she didn't want to hear.
It was also confirmed he was on pine shavings, eating Tropical Carnival rat and mouse diet....for those that don't know what it is it's a very brightly dyed seed mix and some fruit smelling pellets that are also nice neon dyed colours.

So phase 2 is about to begin. In approx a 3-5 days time "Jess" is going to contact this woman and ask how the other rat is. She is going to tell her Bandit is a little depressed (which I doubt he will be but his brother may certainly be) and she took him to the vet and he concluded it was the loss of his life companion and in Bandit's mind his brother is just gone/dead. Then we tell her the vet suggests if they can be reunited that it would be in both rats best interest as it's likely the other rat is going through the same. Now we know this woman may try to get Bandit back as her solution to the whole thing. That it was a mistake and whatever try to get him back. Clearly that won't happen. If she decides to make this difficult I will make things extremely difficult for her. I will have my SPCA team out there asap. Our biggest concern is protecting Jess after the SPCA becomes involved because this woman seems a little unstable and we feel she could retaliate knowing Jess was the last new person to her house...now the humane society is there...it's going to have to be stealthy.

I'm most erked that she put so much emphasis on him having a big cage but anytime getting him a companion or having companions for him "for a change" never prompted her to say anything. I don't think she intended for Jess to know but the daughter was the one who piped up and said "wanna see his brother" we also did make sure we ruled out other reasons to separate them. They weren't fighting or anything...wasn't a lack of room obviously. It was because the daughter wanted more time to spend with the other....not sure again why the rats have to suffer for the human to feel better. Ummm so you are busy and don't have much time for them. So you think separating them and having one lone rat is a better option though your schedule isn't going to change so now the little time you do have for him he's now alone the rest of the time. Logical!! NOT!!!

Ok before I start ranting again and getting worked up over this woman's idiocy I am going to go to bed.

Last edited:
He's gorgeous!! People can be incredibly ignorant. We took in 2 girls who were separated on vet advice for fighting...when we got there and found out they both had mites, and took them home, treated and reunited them.

Omg a vet recommended that? Didn't rule out anything else! I have learned to ask for a vet with experience with rats...and what that experience is. Many vets say they will 'see' rats but not actually know what they are looking for at all.

We are one step closer.
It's an infuriating thing. She posted the brother on varagesale today!!
Like what the actual heck?
She posted complaining of allergies...umm Jess of course saw the post and asked if she could have him seeing she had his brother. She BLOCKED her. And after barating her this morning about his welbeing and us working feverishly to prove he was safe. She wanted to see him in his cage...with his girls (Jess posed as having a spayed mischief wanting a big lovely boy to join) except he is with another person living with 2 baby boys instead. So we had to fudge a few pics...she finally relaxed but then to our astonishment she posted the brother today!
One of our old contenders 'Bailey' is in contact now. Because he was sold from under Bailey, she was able to easily inquire about him but more in an underhanded way so that it's this womans idea to give him to Bailey

Back