Sterling's Rescue Doors *Open*!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sterling,
I have not been on the forum in ages, but I got an alert in my inbox about your post and I saw Puffy...a sweeter little angel I could not imagine, so precious and I am so very, very sorry. :(

Those photos just floored me. The "epitome of masculinity" photo was just amazing and so touching. I could not agree more. He looks so innocent and sweet eating from the spoon too. Kindness rocks the world.

When I saw that last photo of Puffy, safe and secure and comfy in his little igloo on a blanket, I thought, "Every ratty deserves this happiness, love and comfort" and I know you feel good knowing he was in a wonderful place of love and safety with you when he left.

Mega colon makes me furious too and it is so not fair. I wish I had magic powers to take away the pain ratties have to go through with these kinds of conditions. All my condolences to you. He was such a beautiful little boy. :flowers3:

Your post brought me to tears. Your words are so passionate. And a passion I rarely truly feel shared. The anger I have that this sweet trusting loving baby boy had to go through this because some human wasn't paying attention nor cared to do any preventative measures, is immeasurable!
I think every rat deserves to feel the utmost love I can show them especially at their time.
Puffy needed to know no matter how short his life was someone will miss him. He had a name and he was loved.
My Ron is a special kind of man. If you met him on the street you'd be slightly offput maybe scared a little lol. He's tall and square and built like a truck with tats and big rings. But he has two kitties that are his babies and my rats. Which he has a few faves

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear about the megacolon incident. :( I recently took in two deformed litters that also had megacolon from some dummy that wanted babies then couldn't handle them. One boy showed symptoms so fast he just bloated and died the same day. :( The other is on the woody's diet and is doing amazing, he needs an enema once a day to get the dried poop out and then he goes all day by himself. He is a little extra work but it is so worth it. You should try it on some of yours if you suspect megacolon. If they are like my guy they may be able to live a happy life. :)

Sterling,
I am so glad my comments could bring you a little comfort. That is wonderful. Indeed, Puffy was loved and known and he is being remembered and always will be. He was a very lucky boy to have you and Ron.

(Your description of Ron reminded me of my husband Marc. He is a full time rock drummer and looks the part (ha ha) but when you see him come home and instantly flip a switch and turn into the world's gentlest, most sensitive and kind Rat Daddy, well, as you said, that is masculinity defined. )

Again, I am so glad Puffy had you both in his life to love and comfort him. I am sure my boys who have gone to the Bridge have already welcomed him with lots of treats, grooms and open arms. :cuddle:

I shared your sentiments with Ron and he was touched as well.
He doesn't live with me full-time but he came over at 12am to be with us.
We are sadly losing Little Italy by the looks of things now. She has become lethargic and not as interested in the food at all. I did some mushed banana in her block and that got a little into her. Going to be syringe feeding now

I am so very sorry.
Mega colon is so horrible :(
poor sweet baby boy Puffy and all the other babies who also died
glad he was loved and was pts so he wouldn't suffer

I hope that the others do not have early onset megacolon and that none of the babies has late onset .... I guess that is something adopters will have to watch out for over their entire lifespans

Last edited:
Well little Italy has bounced back. Thanks for the enema suggestion MinnieFlower it really seemed to do the trick for her.
So some good news in this tornado of unfortunate events.
You see why we call her little Italy?

23baf92fb8a6bb06405b0e9dbe84f750.jpg

''You can see why we call her Italy''. I laughed out loud when I spotted it :wink: Very clever! Glad she's doing ok. I'm so sad about puffy. He stole my heart.

You can get an enema syringe at the vet but I find they're a little big for babies. I just sit him in warm water ', then put a little mineral oil on his bum to soften the feces. After the first dried up chunk comes out he goes all by himself for the rest of the day. :) i'm glad she's doing better '. :) is she the only one with megacolon?

She's the only one showing signs at this time. But we are watching closely.
A friend of mine has agreed to take Italy on as she has the time to do the enemas and make her food fresh more times a day. The vet showed me with a nasal feeding tube and syringe how to enema the babies. Lots of poops now. I actually had to spot clean the bedding!!
She will be in amazing hands. I now have 5 to worry about still but the remaining boy Harvey is strong and growing like a weed now. Two of the girls Rorschach (Rory) and Rain(drop) are getting bigger too in the right ways. I am worried about Razer and Italy most right now. The 5th baby, another girl is just small for now. But thriving.

Last edited:
So yay...videos of my angel babies.
You can see the improvements from that first video
(I'm attempting video...)

Last edited:
I am glad to see Little Italy is doing better now, with some help from the enemas, that is so nice to hear! Super tip from Minnie about enemas, I had no idea! So the mineral oil is what goes into the syringe for their little bums? Or did I get that wrong? It must be such a relief for these sweet ones to be able to poop and feel so much better.

Oh by the way Sterling, I am so glad that Ron was touched by my comments. I showed Marc that photo of his hand with the plastic spoon feeding sweet Puffy and Marc just melted. He loved that picture so much. I think he wanted to scoop up Puffy right out of the picture and cuddle him for eternity.

I use mineral oil but you can also use warm water. That works well too. I know most people reccomend euthanasia for megacolon right away. But i personally don't believe in euthanizing unless you've done everything you can. So I changed his diet and did one enema, since then he's been doing amazing. He eats a special diet and gets one enema a day. He's super happy. :)

I'm so glad italy is doing better! I will have my fingers crossed for the other lovely babies. <3

Italy is pooping all by herself 100% no more enemas. Leigha said yesterday morning she threw her down her shirt (Italy is a boob rat to boot). And by the time she had breakfast ready Italy had 3 poops in the shirt so no enema yesterday and this morning she pooped on her again. Never thought I'd be so happy to hear someone got pooped on by a rat!

I am touched that Marc and Ron seem to be kindred spirits. Ron misses Puffy but has now got little Razers little tail wrapped around his big finger.

Also the enema and woody diet method may actually be a somewhat cure or early intervention preventative for those at risk of MC!
I wish I had known with Puffy an enema may have made the difference as he was eating but backed up.

Last edited:
Everyone I talked to said even with the diet and enemas it's not common to save them with early onset megacolon. :( Sometimes it's too bad, I lost one as well. :( But I'm so happy to hear she's pooping! Megacolon is heartbreaking, after dealing with it first hand I love hearing the survival stories lol

Oh shoot. Well it helped little Italy get over that hump. I enema'd Razer today her bum had a poop stuck I could see. Just like Puffy started to show. So hopefully with the early notice I caught it and she won't stay backed up.

So very interesting week so far.
I received a call yesterday morning about a rat on the loose.
A business had spotted a little white rat on their property. The owner Sam, feeds the squirrels and Chipmunks outside every morning and she made her way over. She had first been spotted 2 yards over near a shed. They were unsure whether there was 1 or 2 or more.

So at about 945am yesterday I went over to assess the situation.
There is very little in the way of humane animal removal here...and any animal groups in town are dedicated to wild specifically or larger domestics. Sam did not want her dead, just gone before she multiplied. Only people in town who handle rats is the pest control and they will only give 24 hours for live capture and the live traps are usually too big for rats.

Anyway Sam showed me where she had been hiding and within a minute I saw her nose pop out. She came to the sound of my voice. She was a dirty little white rat. Dirt all over her face.

I gave her some peanuts and talked to her a while. Then I made my first move. I needed to be able to get my hand into her hiding place...so we removed the storage bins from atop the platform she was on (which looked like a little deck platform). And I had them remove 2 planks. One near to her entrance and one in the middle so I could watch her movement.
After nearly an hour in the 30°c sun she took off through an alternate exit and went missing.
I packed it up for the day and asked what time Sam usually sees her most active. 730-830 am when he sits to feed the critters.

I made a plan to return at 7am to set up plan B.
I knew 2 thongs
1) it was a female
2) she was hungry and knew food would be available at 730/8am

I decided to try something that would either result in 2 rats hiding or 2 rats in cages.
I took Louie (and Edwin) with me. I set up a few checkpoints early before she even came around. One cage over her hole and the boys in a pen near the food.
I let the boys wander for a while. Watching their reactions to smells and then....boom...Louie locked on her smell. He got running and bouncing toward where we saw her go the day before. So I kept taking Louie back to the food pile and letting him run back to where he smelled her. I could tell it was her he smelled because his nose was pressed into the ground and he left a pee trail to mark it for her.
Finally it paid off and I see a tiny white fluff appear from under the fence behind the neighbours garage. Louie spotted her right away and they went to each other. I let Louie guide her back toward us and gain her trust. He did exactly what I needed him to do. He lured her back under the platform. Louie came right out the other side with her close behind! He was being bribed with hashbrowns! I brought their cage over and locked them in safely so I could just worry about her now. She was skittish as expected but she also really wanted that hashbrown. I kept trying to get her to come to the corner near the hole so I might just grab her and put her in the carrier. But she knew I was there and was quite alert to my movements.
Suddenly after losing sight of her I felt whiskers on my arm. She was down by my hips (in laying on my stomach on the platform at this point) I manage to carefully move my arm down my side toward where she is. She thinks she has outsmarted me at this point which is where she loses this! Haha I wait for her to jump out toward the boys and with cat like reflexes I grab her and pull her into my chest and get two hands around her. (I had leather work gloves on). She fought and tried to bite but I got her into the carrier and secured. By the time I had cleaned up and packed up the boys and cages she was eating the snacks I left in there for her and was cool as a cucumber.
When I got home she was even more chill. This was someone's pet! She's young and tiny and of course on pregnancy watch for 3 weeks! Preparing for halfies!

I am astonished the male lure worked and I am such a proud momma of Louie for doing exactly what I needed him to do and for listening even though he really wanted to explore more.

Sam and Stephanie (his DIL) decided on Paddy as her name as their business does padded accents.
She is super sweet and I think after a nice bath and some good food she will be a very good adoptable candidate.

Hello pretty girl
bfa75e6f51513043e1637ba4517b6ad6.jpg

Dirty baby
f6fe6025912194d18762e307752a4b3f.jpg

Last edited:
Paddy is a darling, and I love her name! It fits her. :)
What an amazing story and well done! I wish her nothing but the best of luck and happy times to come..she sure deserves it! :cuddle:

She is definitely on pregnancy watch. Her belly is awefully pudgey and I know she isn't really over eating or anything. Her nipples seem a tad engorged so we will have a close eye on her. I'm thinking either she had a litter before ending up outside that had weaned. Or she is about 1.5-2 weeks preg now

She is a beautiful snuggly girl though. She only trusts me and my friend who's voice sounds a lot like Sam the man who found her. She is not super sure of other people. I am going to go ahead And say she is a feeder reject of some kind possibly a female discovered in a group of males and they knew she was pregnant thought nature could take care of her

Back