Sterling's Rescue Doors *Open*!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't say that would be a bad thing. The less living creatures being exposed to this woman the better.
She is also now selling a zebra Finch alone....another social animal living alone being sold alone with no care about a buddy.
Oh and the cage she posted....for all the fuss she made about him having a huge cage.
They might as well be in a 2×2 cage for all the stimulation offered and now that poor boy is alone in that desolate wire prison.
It's a 3 story ALT ferret cage with a water bottle, a bird cozy tunnel and a hidey house on the bottom and the wood chew toy that comes with the cage kit.

Ok so back to a baby update. They are all growed up and leaving the literal nest Ming made lol
All my baby girls are gone home *happy tears*
Pam, Mouse, Peach and Daisy all went together ❤ their new Momma is going to spoil them rotten. Funny how 2 turned into 4 for her so quickly. She just kept falling in love.
3 baby girls Dani, Smokey and Panda went home Tuesday...when she found out Panda was left unadopted she was like "No way! I'll take her" and that was that.

My baby boys are slowly dwindling as well
Atlas and Peabody obviously went home Sunday as they took Bandit with them and he is the bestest big brother ever! (Peabody photo)
66f62ba8d60cd8158d4da49327931bdc.jpg

Moose, Elk and Buck went home as well with their new human Momma. Another case where Buck was left the last of his litter unclaimed and she couldn't leave him. I said 3s better anyway imo (3 boys pictured here)
e43045731f9125c74cc07c8e7790728b.jpg

I am keeping Bumper and Benji the runts of their litters. (Bumper photo)
8c833bd3fdeedf988740f8e9c28a748e.jpg

We have Simon and Garfukel left from the first litter. They are a hoot together and I cannot separate them. They are available though.
Living with them are our new arrivals Spark and Smudge(photo)
d440c94cdbe806e77058f082a20fcdc2.jpg

Igrit my nakie baby from last year...Aggie's last remaining baby FINALLY GOT ADOPTED!!!
She's gone to live with A friend of mine. She has a big DCN which now houses 5 of my older ladies I thought were here forever! They are thriving with their 3 other 'sisters'.
Only females I have left are Godess and Oracle as they must be close to 2 yrs old so the trip today Wasn't worth the risk for them.
Momma Ming and her sister Ling went with Igrit where I know they will love getting to be girlie rats again. Not a mom and auntie anymore.
(Igrit in photo)
e53d38bca985706199aa4d3ff2ad5112.jpg

MinnieFlower and I did a swap today. She took the remainder of my ladies and I took in a few boys for her. Now I am back to majority male and we can get back to the grind of teaching some of these boys Some manners.
Mr. Caesar is so gorgeous. Hopefully we can get him to earn some trust...food is very tempting
94a9dc50e5deeac7cc3ac61c40866e5f.jpg

eaf017240a4f6db35cb49eba7a64723f.jpg

Mr. Hagrid is going to keep me on my toes I think. He scared the bajeezus out of me...I have a back sleeper!! I was like oh no was the trip too stressful!? And then he decided the hammock was a little better and even accepted some ear scritches. But that was short lived.
15ff4510fcd30e0c20afc42881fd6a05.jpg

cdb61e5691434aaac6f682cb84fa9084.jpg

Last edited:
Short lived focus on the other bubs.
We got word about Smokey today and it was fate working for us. My friend works at a local pet store chain and the woman who owned Bandit and has Smokey currently came in and she recognized the description of her. She KNEW her!! So she started up a convo about the birds and then remembers that they just bought the giant cage for them. So she asked how they liked it. She opened right up told her the daughter had been getting hives blah blah excuse...and then long story short my friend pretended to be looking for just that...a male rat and if he had a cage even better. Asked how much...woman said...what would you pay? Offered her $80and she took it! We just need to pick him up now!!
The woman than dropped a bomb....she got the rats from me!? I wracked my brain and was like how do I not recognize them? Because she bought them at Pet Valu when I worked there! Didn't adopt from me!
My question is now...where she got her care info. I certainly did not tell her pine was ok. I thoroughly educate on the acceptable bedding choices, I told them to feed oxbow or equivalent block food, not fluorescent Tropical Carnival seed mix, and I told her they like all kinds of toys and sleepy spots in their cage....so she obviously didn't listen to one word I said.
Most importantly we will have him out of that whackos hands and safely back with Bandit in a week

We Pick him up on Tuesday. And with any hope with her selling the cage means she won't be looking for more! We have earned every breeder, store and supplier in the area about her chronic animal sales online.

Huge leaps with our aggressive boy Tibbs. This morning he did not leap at the bars, he sat patiently while I filled his bowl and then from his "treat spot" he got a few crunchy fruit bites his favourite. He didn't even get aggressive with those.
I believe it was a combination hormones with mom's and babies as well as his vision in the new environment he needed more predictability. Now that he only has one source of each need he knows what's in that spot. He knew the hand was not coming for him (put his bowl on opposite side of cage from treat spot so he can be treated and I can go and fill the bowl without losing a finger

We had so much going on here these last few weeks. Here's a bit of an update.
We have now had all babies that needed a home go home to great ones.
Momma and her two older girls went to live with MinnieFlower, along with 5 other older girls Lillith, Delilah, Chloe, Angelina and Peach.
Regina, Igrit and Ming (Momma of litter #2) and Ling went to live with my friend Leigha and her mischief.
My friend Cody adopted Peabody, Atlas and Sammi (Samsquanch the Harley). He has Bandit and Remy the two varagesale rats. (update to come on that story, not as happy so far as we'd hoped)
My friend Maude adopted 5 baby girls; Peach, Daisy, Mouse, Pam and Quinn the Harley....they are all so loved.
A friend of Maudes adopted 3 boys Moose, Elk and Buck
Another adopted 3 girls Minerva, Cerridwen, Benten. Also doing amazingly.
My friend Marnie adopted two baby Harley boys Mo and Davey now Frasier and Niles ❤ to join Yum yum whom she adopted with Duke from me 2 years ago. Duke recently passed away and Yum yum was looking rather sad.
Then a new friend of mine Molly who recently moved from the Montreal area adopted the last 2 boys of the first litter for her group which is now 6. She came highly recommended from the Ottawa rescue 😁
So all Harley boys have homes, 1 Harley girl, the rest I am keeping with me and Goddess because she loves her babies.
We have Bumper and Benji the runts from the two litters staying. They currently live withSmudge and Spark the two himi boys Minnie gave me.
Hagrid is going to start intros with Germians group this week....
Caesar is going to intro with Reggie after he comes in Thursday (Reggie was the one posted here needing a different environment safe from a high prey drive dog) and they both seem ready for it.
Tibbs is making leaps and bounds in his work on aggression. He got a big reward yesterday when my friend brought him a hornworm. He enjoyed it so much. He gets his new hammock as his next reward. The donations from The adoptions are more than enough. Everyone donated on top of their adoption fee $5-$10 so that all went into the extras jar after balancing the vet Bill from Ceasar and figgis and such. We have $26 for extras so that will get Tibbs a new hammock and some training treats and goodies.
Everyone else is great. Tibbs nephews are also coming along amazingly. They come for food and even come out of the cage of their own accord.
The hamsters both have a wheel we can all enjoy. Quiet, big enough for them but small enough for the cage to not be taken over. And both hams look amazing physically. We got Punkin to gain some weight and Muffin to lose some. Now they are both on the same feeding schedule and both can have full access to the wheel.
I felt bad limiting Punkins wheel use but she was So under weight I didn't want her on the wheel every night all night with a low body weight. Now she's nice and full looking. Her fur looks amazing too. She can wheel all she wants now and looves it

Not so good. There is some aggression issues we are now seeing why they were maybe separated. But was nice of her to tell their new owners they were rat aggressive to each other. I posted a video on quick question thread

So I had been popping up on different threads since the latest babies came in.
I suspected mega colon from moment 1. And the vet also had a feeling. No one had any concrete signs yet though. Until last night. At 11 I called the mobile vet to come out when Puffy the smallest boy started breathing more heavily and strenuously. Sadly we made the call after bruising was discovered on his belly and a slight protrusion/swelling. He went peacefully in my hand.

The others so far are thriving. Busy girls and one busy boy who has just blossomed on the right food. I am coaching the other people who have the siblings who are in far better shape. One more small boy in foster care that we are keeping an eye on.
Ugh this is why people need to be more careful with the pet store they buy from.

Here is the few pics of my sweet Puffy

b605db8592b777afd7b534ebd88ef11d.jpg

This will forever be the epitome of masculinity to me
936cbbc3fe8b6586b957515cd5f00db7.jpg

Sleepy little boy...
cb9ec2043c1ca3783be32e9e4747266f.jpg

Ready to take his final rest
c5f4ebdeafe99c86252e0722b311ac68.jpg

So very very sorry. Megacolon is just so devastating and soo preventable. Don't take chances and don't breed those flashy high -white markings, because even if just one sweet boy has to die it's not worth it :'(

Yah this was a case where I am quite furious. The pet store I used to work at...the people I educated to sex baby rats, sold this girl not one...but two pregnant rats. 22 babies total. One rats babies failed to thrive from birth and only 2 of 9 made it to a week and those were surrogate by her sister with her 13 babies. I told them especially when they come in looking like this one....(sisters are near identical so both have that high tear drop)
a0542378c645f2e3f41b86094bda4643.jpg

...to please make sure they definitely cannot breed. It spells disaster and a lot of stress for all involved. Second worst part is they all come from same sourc3 so likely inbreeding happening which concentrates the recessive gene.

But this happened
a79ac4ae469fb562f83f9ee3afba12c8.jpg

And now my sweet Puffy had to be put down and who knows how many more before we are in the clear. A week or two more before we can be sure.

Cute point in that pic though...spot the literal black sheep of the family!?

Last edited:
Back