Sterling's Rescue Doors *Open*!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some great news today!
New Wobbly girl had a vet visit and she has been given a clean bill of health despite her circumstances. She will need some higher fat food for a while and he suggested I still dose her for a mild possible inner ear infection he cannot see anything wrong but with how bad her tilt is he said it can't hurt to boost her immune system up.

Wobbly girls are being introd and they are loving each other. I was so worried Smoosh would never have a companion as she is too off balance to go in a multi-level cage. But its not fair to a full functioning rat to be confined to a one story smaller cage. And chances of my crazy group accepting her when her own sister shunned her out was slim.

They fought for the first hour but it was more Smoosh crying at her to stay back...I think just protecting herself. But within the next hour they were cuddled up together in the tent!
We left them another hour and then separated them...then both girls sat at the side of their cages staring at the other so I put new girl (calling her Spindle) in Smoosh's cage. They sniffed each other, shared a snack and crawled into the house and fell asleep together :D

Also Spindle looks so much better after just 48 hrs of good food and fresh water. Her hair isn't sticking up on end and she feels less prickly furred, so much softer. She has a road ahead of her but with how much Daddy already loves his wobbly girls she will thrive here. I picked her up and put her on my lap today and she calmed right down instead of being spastic like day 1&2. She took snuggles and scritches and some fresh homemade toasted bread and some nuts.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Awwwww, that's awesome that they took to each other so quickly!
I'm glad Spindle is warming up to you too. She is starting to realize you are the bringer of wonderful things, and the giver of lovin's. :D

So with the weekend passed it means new girl Spindle is ours making 13 permanent rat residents of this house! She is doing well and has learned there will be food tomorrow and she does not need to eat her bowl clean everyday...she has started stashing which is good. She wouldn't save a crumb last week.

Daddy loves his wobbly girls and made them their own mini loaves of crusty bread! Lol

Wow what an eventful week. We celebrated lots of 1st birthdays (guesstimated) Tatter and Tilly and miss Dita. And 6 month birthdays for Mellow and Puff. And tonight we welcome rat #14 a little boy who was doomed to be snake food when his momma died leaving him and his sister too young and not ready to be alone.
Sister found a home but now that he's nearly 5 weeks he cannot stay with the family of girls! Will post pics of the cutie tonight or tomorrow.

New baby boy...still working on a name...nose to nose with Tyrion...he's so outgoing
7a9e5ejy.jpg

His new big brothers being overly personal lol
gy3y8ejy.jpg

Edit: Baby boy has a name...Odin!

Loving my group of boys. Little man Odin has made himself quite at home...he owns the couch. He can hold his own with the big boys even though nervous momma breaks up the fights before its too rowdy. Little Boots is having trouble keeping up with him in any way and Tyrion gets worn out rather quickly. May be good for the big squishy boys to have a baby around. Keep them in shape! Lol

TAILLESS RAT!!
I just visited my favourite private owned pet store...I know there are not many...but I got a call from the lady I know there because she had a special little boy that was 'different'.
I fell in love with this outgoing little boy with the hamster bum.
He snuggled into my hood and I could not walk away.
Welcome to our busy crew Butcher
anuzaqyp.jpg

yhuza6ar.jpg

Whether it was a birth defect or infantile injury...its a part of or rather apart from him and he is gorgeous!!

I made him his own thread
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=493983#p493983

Our crew here is quickly dwindling back down. As some may have seen we lost sweet Jersey unexpectedly lastnight. She may have been older then we though so keeping a close eye on sister Isis.
unube2u7.jpg

Miss Spindle is leaving us...age and a rough past life have caught up with her quickly over the last week. Her URI is finally cleared up so at least that's not bothering her.
sa8ery3a.jpg

So lots of snuggles and anti-inflams for her abcess. No point in putting her through the stress of removing it now. Its draining each day and she doesn't seem bothered by it. She spends most of her day sleeping curled up with little 'adopted sister' Smoosh. Smoosh loves her! She is completely blind now and you can see her age on her face and in her sticky up fur.
The big boys got a cage remodel and are busy exploring that. Made some new hammocks and liners for the SFN...wanted to distract the crew from Jersey's passing. Lots of treats and new toys!

One of my old ladies had a chronic draining abscess - we never could get it completely cleared up, but she trucked on for several months like that, so maybe Miss Spindle has more time than you expect.

Its not the abcess that worries me. Its the heavy breathing, lethargy that does. I'm just preparing myself that it might happen soon.

His name is Little Boots. ..its like we gave him a complex when he was a baby and now he's working on being thw biggest rat he can be lol at over 500g at 5 months he's getting there

Miss Spindle is still fighting for every ounce of love and life. She looks at me so sadly then jumps up and tries to run around and play. Then snuggles in and just enjoys a warm snuggle while she naps. She fights going back in the cage. Daddy kept her out all day Saturday because he's amazing and loves his ratties too!
ura5a5ur.jpg

I go away this week for a wintery adventure of yurt camping. Perks of working at a petstore is you work with animal lovers and one happens to be my neighbour. She is going to check in with my crew while I am gone (2xs a day min). We've gone over the arrangements for Spindle should she pass and I have asked my vet if there is an emergency she 'S' can bring anyone in and they can just charge me later when I get back which is a load off. They (my coworker 'S' and the vet) know what I constitute an emergency!
Baby manx boy Butch's UTI is healing well so with the help of my vet we preloaded the syringes with his med doses so S can easily give it to him. And anti-inflams for Spindle.
Everyone else seems healthy and well so we don't see anything being an emergency but if Spindle seems to be suffering then S can take her to the vet to be PTS for now she is breathing ok and eating and moving around.

I'll still worry every day that she'll pass without me by her side but I know S will take great care of her and give her whatever she needs. :)

And now pics just because!
Tilly
3ege7uge.jpg

Tatter
qeta3ana.jpg

The boys Ty and Boots
qahupame.jpg

The mischievous 6
y5ubezan.jpg

Odin
5uzenuru.jpg

More Spindle my poor old girl and her amazing little 'sister' Smoosh
e4are6a7.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to leave your babies when they're close to crossing, but at the same time if you waited until everyone was healthy, you'd never go anywhere. I'm glad you have someone you can count on to take care of them. :)

Back