Sooo Let's Get it ALL out in the Open Shall We? - Poss. SV

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow.. i really need to get on the shack more .. i havent been around a lot lately (stupid cafe world addiction on facebook lol)... i didnt even have the slightest clue there were rumors about you guys..
im so sorry you guys have to go through this... i know the both of you , and i know you love those fur kids with all of your heart and would do everything in your power to try to defeat this stupid virus including taking all precautions necessary.. besides, the virus is already in the province, honestly what more can you do .. and OMG you CANT live in a bubble lol you poor girl !!! i dont even know if i could do half the stuff you have been doing for your rats.. i hope that i dont have to find out... but on another note, its good that everyone is on their toes, you can never be too comfortable, you need to be prepared for IF something does happen.
so anyways... just wanted to send out a big hug to you both...you both are amazing people!anyway i have ur backs! :hugs:

sausage4ever said:
Jeez...twitch that sucks.

I'm going to be keeping a ver close eye on my boys for the next month. I went to my vet on Friday and he told me he couldn't really cudddle my boy because he had just examined a rat with possible Sendai...although my boys has eye problems so of course he did have to handle him. And the vet washed his arms with Purell to get rid of anything I am very aware that Purell isn't anti-viral and he hadn't changed his clothes or anything so I'm a little on edge.

Edit: Just read SV can be rendered inavctive by alcohol. I'm still bothered but at least I know the Purell did something.

Which Vet is it?

I've been following this loosely whenever I can when I'm on, and this is what makes me afraid. If my Rats suddenly need medical attention and I need to take him to a Vet -- what are the chances that he's seen any Rats with possible Sendai(or whatever this is) in that day? Yes, theres the three hour thing but what if by some odd stroke of horrible luck something still passes...

It scares me, especially seeing as Dr.Mun is also my my boys vet. :panic:

Dr Munn isn't even around at the moment. My rats will be non-contagious when they see him. He also will be very aware of the possibility of it by the time you make an appt. :( Its hard not to panic but we are trying to get the info out there to our vets, and the petowning population.

Scythe said:
Which Vet is it?
It scares me, especially seeing as Dr.Mun is also my my boys vet. :panic:

It's my vet here in Kitchener, Chelle and I use the same vet. And he had been with one of her rats that day...

It scares me as I appear not to be getting my discounts all the time now, so vet bills are starting to show their true colours.

sausage4ever said:
It's my vet here in Kitchener, Chelle and I use the same vet. And he had been with one of her rats that day...

I'd like to point out that I told them before bringing Alt in to be PTS that there was a possibility of a contagious virus. (Alt was needing to be PTS due to an internal mass, but if it's in my colony than Alt could transfer it.) And since the vet told you then you know I wasn't keeping it form him, I put everything out in the open.

I'd also like to point out that the vet was in the wrong in this case as he made no effort (except for the Purell which was last minute) to protect any other rats that may have gone to the clinic that day. He could have called me and allowed me to reschedule but he didn;t, he didn't change his clothes or anything. A doctor should know better, that being said Davey's eye is all good, so, yeah.

You guys need to let your vet know not to schedule rats on the same day for awhile- or at the very least schedule them far apart (early morning/late afternoon). And keep in touch with each other about visits. You can also call the receptionist before you go to make sure no other rats had been there. Remember, this is all new to them, too!

Bella

It's new to them but they have access to the internet from the exam rooms, so he could have at anytime looked up what precautions eh should have been taking. He's supposed to call me later this week (to check up on Davey) so I'll mention the scheduling thing then.

remembered my other question.

my neighbor that took in ghost has not had an illness or deaths other then ghost. she was over here to take care of my guys over the weekend when i was away before i knew what i was dealing with for sure. if none of her rats take sick in the next couple weeks would she be safe?

lilspaz68 said:
Dr Munn isn't even around at the moment. My rats will be non-contagious when they see him. He also will be very aware of the possibility of it by the time you make an appt. :( Its hard not to panic but we are trying to get the info out there to our vets, and the petowning population.

Yeah... I know he's away for the time being -- but if I had to see another Rat vet? Not all are as good or great as Dr.Mun, they could so easily screw up... And it scares me. I mean, even as someone else said in another thread(I'm sorry, I forgot who and which thread...I just remember this and they'd mentioned even shelters have to close even when using QT procedures... Im sorry!), even when you do the best you can to prevent it, something can still slip by in some horrible, off chance, you know?

And I hope I don't sound snappy or anything... I know this is hard on everyone so I tried to word it best I could but I may have failed, I suck at it sometimes... :wallbang:

Oh no, don't worry Scythe, when I am at work, I have to type fast and sometimes terse messages because I am sneaking it in LOL. I was just worried that you thought my rats might make yours sick when they are getting their blood drawn, etc.

Hi Everybody,

Sorry in advance if I'm re-asking any already answered questions - I need to head to bed and have only been able to read through a few pages on the current situation. I will catch up tomorrow for sure.

Just wondering if there are any precautions that the general public should be taking?
-Should we be staying away from pet stores with rats/mice/hamsters,
-Is it safe to visit others with rats/mice/hamsters?
-Are any other animals at risk (eg. rodents - guinea pigs, rabbits, degus, etc.)
-Have the majority of small animal vets been notified?

I do not personally buy from pet stores with animals for sale, but have friends that do so would like to be able to steer them away if possible. I do petsitting and am around other small animals on a regular basis, are there any extra precautions to be taken, or is everything just based around rescues at the moment?

Thanks all in advance!

P.S. Not sure if it shows my location or not, but I am in London, ON.

Kriix said:
Just wondering if there are any precautions that the general public should be taking?

-Should we be staying away from pet stores with rats/mice/hamsters,

That would be wise. Or if you do go, then do not return home for at least 3 hours.

-Is it safe to visit others with rats/mice/hamsters?

It is fine as long as you know FOR SURE that they have not brought in any new animals in the last month or have not gone to the pet store the day of the visit.

-Are any other animals at risk (eg. rodents - guinea pigs, rabbits, degus, etc.)

Guinea pig, hamsters, mice, and rats are all susceptible to Sendai. Pigs, too! As for Degus, there is no definitive answers one way or another.

One of my sources says MAY be possible for them to get it since the virus does affect different species: "Not very much is known about infectious diseases of degus, but it would not surprise me at all if they are susceptible to Sendai virus (or any closely related paramyxovirus) due to its broad host range."

Another one says: "I’d speculate cross reactivity to a related virus rather than the rodent sendai being transmitted to degus".

I say, "I do not know, but better safe than sorry!"

-Have the majority of small animal vets been notified?

I haven't a clue! I sure hope so.

I notified my vet too when I was in to see him. Although I am sure he is still wondering why I told him about a likely Sendai outbreak in Canada! :winksmile:

all the vets i could reach within my phone call area have now been notified. i have also called pets unlimited where i got ghost from. they didn't seem particularly convinced or concerned. they claim that none of their animals have been sick or are currently sick. personally i find that hard to believe even when you don't consider the virus into the equation. i highly suspect nothing will be done from their end to help prevent the spread of the virus; not that i am terribly surprised..

I'm going to our local pet store and finding out where they get their rats from. They used to breed their own but I convinced them not to so now they import.
Maybe they should have stuck with their own stock.

A comment in this thread since the last time I've seen it has made me realize something.

I work in a pet store that, while I find we're pretty good in care/keeping the enclosures clean, we *do* carry pets, and we *do* carry rats. I have not spoken to my Pet Care Manager about this mess of a virus yet, but I'm wondering if I should? I'm one of the only associate who works so many hours and can actually HANDLE out rats; most of our associates who deal with the animals are horribly allergic and if they touch them they have to go home sick. So... yes; should I make this aware to my Pet Care Manager? She's not an idiot, and I hope, I TRUST she'll at least hold off on getting rats(at the very least) for a while.

And we have no rats right *now*, *but* we have had up to five rats in the last month or so. And I have, unfortunately and unknowingly, handled them. I'm wondering if I should be more concerned than I was already.

It's probably a long shot but is there anything I should be doing as someone who actually works in a pet store? :\

You could change your clothes and take a shower between handling but if they were carrying anything then I don't know how you would fully stop it.

Back