Snow thread 2010

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally just posted in the wrong thread. lol; Sorry!
Accidentally posted a picture of my tree here. lol. Fail.

EDIT: It's getting colder here. Not sure how I feel about it.. lol. Looks like I'm going to have to carry in a bunch of fire wood...

It's official, Durham Region, ON has been hit with snow.

Worst FIRST winter driving experience: going over an overpass and doing a full 360 when trying to brake. Not fun. Luckily there were only a few cars out, I went through 4 lanes. I don't think I want to drive in winter anymore..

897d3737.jpg

Worst thing you can do on icy roads is slam on the brakes and "lock them up". Next time you start to skid, tap the brake on and off or let go of the brake completely. You will have a lot more control over your speed and steering that way. And remember: drive slow! Give yourself plenty of time to get anywhere.

Just a few tips :)

Yeah, they sure do make a difference. All seasons are only good for all seasons that don't have snow... LOL

All season tires = summer tires.

Winter tires are mad out of a much softer rubber so they do way better in cold conditions and more rubber contacts the pavement at any given time. More contact means better grip, faster acceleration and braking, and easier turning. They are a NECESSITY!! All seasons are crap as soon as there is any kind of snow/ice on the ground. Take it from someone who grew up in Newfoundland lol!

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.....
we've had a TON for over a week now, and it's just started to dump on us again!
Rats are toasty cozy warm, and so is the fam!
<3
Winter evenings by the fire.....

henry's_mum said:
<3
Do you have more in Ennismore then Peterborough. Because coming from Port Elgin to Pete, there was a huge difference in snow.

I'm hoping that we get the forecast snow, and not the rain, over the next day. It was starting to look nice & white, then we got a few days of RAIN. (If I'd wanted rain in the winter I'd have moved to Vancouver )

Zooy said:
henry's_mum said:
<3
Do you have more in Ennismore then Peterborough. Because coming from Port Elgin to Pete, there was a huge difference in snow.
Ennismore has more than ptb yes... lol
but i'm sure NOT as much as Port Elgin! lol

Apparently the highways are closed back home. fingers crossed they are reopen for me to go home tomorrow!

handmeafish said:
Still no good snow in Colorado.
BOO!
I'm starting to think we might not even get snow by Christmas.

Carefull of what you wish for, I made the mistake of wishing for a white Christmas last year. Ended up working a 12 hour shift on Christmas as my relief couldn't make it in. We ended up with a foot of snow, the most snow on Christmas in over 30 years. Needless to say not wishing for it this year.

jenniferkelley said:
jorats said:
Another good tip: get winter tires!!!

Winter tires wouldn't matter with ice, would it? :p I have all seasons tires.

We had hours of freezing rain, no snow and I swear my winter tires and my real time all wheel drive is what kept me upright that night.
Winter tires have bigger and thicker treads which will hold onto the road no matter the condition. Bare roads can eventually wear down the treads though so you really want your winter tires for ice and snow.
All season tires really can't compare to winter tires on ice and snow.
That law will soon pass here in Ontario where everyone must buy winter tires.

Had blowing snow yesterday, but nothing that stayed on the ground - today though, my muscles started really hurting around 4 AM (usually a sure sign of a serious weather change). Woke up, took a muscle relaxer, and tried to go back to sleep.

It only just occured to me to look out the window, but we have snow sticking to the trees!! And more is falling!

It's one of those very pretty first snows of the winter.

Back