Show your cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moon said:
Oh Pink I want a safari bucket!!

I was so excited to see the buckets. I got two of them, the other is various pinks with flowers. The the petals come off the bucket. They were on clearance for $2 and change each since easter was over! Unfortunately the rats haven't used them as much as they ususally use baskets. I don't know why.

Pink

I've been lurking in this thread for days and finally, I've worked up the nerve to post some pics...
Just wanted to mention first, Spook and Marley still aren't getting along though there's progress now! Definite progress ^_^. I've ordered a Martin's cage which has been sent to a relative in the States who is going to be bringing it over for me (SNEAKILY avoiding the international/shipping fee) next time they come visit! (Can't wait!! Hope Spook and Marley are buddies by then...)

Spook's Table:
328.jpg

Spook hasn't ever jumped off yet... and I'm hoping he never will... but just in case, I've got an old crib mattress down there to "cushion" a fall.

Marley's Nook:
332.jpg

Which was originally Spook's Nook, but he had no trouble at ALL jumping over the barrier >.<. I have no clue how he does it. Marley hasn't even TRIED... what's funny is Marely's a bit like a cat! He likes to run over along the window sill and just settle down to "gaze" out into the backyard.

They both have a boring red hammock (which they barely ever use) in their ridiculously boring cages (which they barely ever spend time in) and sometimes I feel like I should just get rid of the cages altogether >.<. Would that be an option?! Or am I doing something crazily dangerous I'm not aware of?!

I'm SOOOO jealous of some of your cages. Now I feel bad for my ratties as it's obvious... THEY NEED MORE TOYS! *sobs*

----- EDIT -----

Their cage now! :)
Cage11.jpg

Godmother said:
Pretty cage, Pink! Love the bucket and the colorful hammocks. The rats must have fun in there.

Ewa, I have always loved the bright lime green spiral ramp in that cage. I don't think that rats can resist a tunnel or a path.

Thanks ! Yes , they love it! They are always using the twirly slide!

RKbusy, a larger cage (which martins powder coated cage did you get?)
will allow you to add all sorts of toys and interesting things to their cage.

I find that when rats are allowed to free range they like to go home to their cage when they are tired. Some people that are able to let their rats free range all the time in a rat safe room, leave their cages open as the rats like to come and go.

SQ said:
RKbusy, a larger cage (which martins powder coated cage did you get?)
will allow you to add all sorts of toys and interesting things to their cage.

I find that when rats are allowed to free range they like to go home to their cage when they are tired. Some people that are able to let their rats free range all the time in a rat safe room, leave their cages open as the rats like to come and go.

I would love to be able to do that! What can I do to rat proof my room ? ( they sleep in my room due to small house! )

@ SQ: I asked my relatives to order the "R-685". I'd read good reviews about it, and I figured for two rats it would be enough room. And of course, powder coated because a) less stinky b) WAY more attractive looking.

I usually let my rats free range 1-2 hours a day. Marley gets the floor and I unhook one side of his barrier so he can go back in if he wants.

Spook gets to run around on my queen-sized bed with a cheap plastic shower curtain over it. I donno if you can see in the pic, but I keep a wide plank handy so that his desk and my bed are connected, so he too can return if he wants. Otherwise, they have to stick to their "areas".

@ EWA: I used wooden boards and those suitcase binding bungee cords to keep them out of places I don't want them in. They're in my bedroom too >.<

So this is Domino, Marley and Onyx new Cage, I got it with Twilight but They needed the extra space BAD so I put him in a 1 level cage like this one but only 1 level with a Slide...

Good News is my Large 9 level Superpet cage will be returned to me soon, (boyfriend stole it for his Chin) He is making a new cage for him, He got all the wood and parts yesterday, then they will go in that and when the girls are bigger and cannot fit through the bars they will get this one as i only have 3 girls. All my boys once they all get along will be in the 9 level cage, which is so great cuase I can even seperate it in to 2 cages if I need to... :happydance:

I saw a lot of homemade hammocks in the pics , i tried making one myself , but the rats keep chewing through the string or hemp i use to hang it up ... what else could i use? I saw a lot of you used those metal things that kind of look like lightbulbs , where do you get those? Is there anything around the house that might be better ? Thanks :D

The dollar store is a best friend to most of us. Fleece, baskets, and buckets (oh my :giggle: ) I think those light bulb shaped things you are referring to are shower curtain hangers - which can also be purchased at the dollar store. Go in with a few dollars and your imagination, you will be amazed at the things you will find.

RKbusy said:
@ SQ: I asked my relatives to order the "R-685". I'd read good reviews about it, and I figured for two rats it would be enough room. And of course, powder coated because a) less stinky b) WAY more attractive looking.

The R-685 should be ok but I hope you are getting it with a flip top lid given the second floor and door placement. Asking for extra large doors on martins cages makes a huge difference too. Looking forwards to lots of pics.

Catibrie said:
The dollar store is a best friend to most of us. Fleece, baskets, and buckets (oh my :giggle: ) I think those light bulb shaped things you are referring to are shower curtain hangers - which can also be purchased at the dollar store. Go in with a few dollars and your imagination, you will be amazed at the things you will find.

Ah! Thank you so much! I will go there soon!

After going through all these, I am scared to post the boys cage!! lol

Just to add, this is temporary until I get to my Mothers to get my Rudd or my Ferret Condo in storage. I am thinking the Rudd, soo I can make two separate chages if needed, will be WAY to much room for 2 boys though. The Condo is much more prefered as it has 3 full floors and a pull out tray, but not sure how to cover the levels!

Anywho, here is their cage for now... much too small but everything is so overwhelming right now. Even a towel and a hammock is freaking them out.
100_2625.jpg

But not enough to try it out justtttttt once.. hehe
100_2607.jpg

And here is 2 of the Rudd cages set up when I owned rats before. I had 9 in each.
Cahes.jpg

Pics904Small.jpg

This was my big girls ferret nation Fall '08

Pics1606Small.jpg

Then we got a critter nation with small barspacing. this is with four shelves in it and right after it was put together.

halloween1.jpg

More recent without the other shelf and with their new wheel that they use more often.

I wish I could afford a nice cage!
A CN or FN, even an FF or a penthouse!
Even a Royal Suite or a Rudd is better than my set up!
UGH!
I need to pick up some hardware cloth.

Back