Scarborough Feeder Rescues - Safe

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a chance to read your thread - once again you charge to the rescue of some very needy ratties! I'm sure they will be feeling much better soon with a dose of Revolution and some food in their bellies. I hope Lumi hangs on long enough to enjoy being loved for a while before she heads to the Bridge...
I suppose it's too soon to see what their temperaments are really like. I hope they warm up and chill out in your care.
It seems like it has been a while since you've had a big influx. The universe decided these babies deserved a real life. I'm so happy you could make it happen. :)

ETA: The girls look great in their new clean digs. I can only imagine what they were living in before. Do they all get along OK?

Joanne said:
ETA: The girls look great in their new clean digs. I can only imagine what they were living in before. Do they all get along OK?

The girls get along really well but are definitely paired off...Lumi with Kayi, and Talvi with Zima...I think the former 2 are older. The boys I am working on seeing who goes with who...so far its looking like Mr. Self will need a neuter and the other 3 seem to be doing pretty well together. The 3 boys will go into the ALT but not right away, I need to make sure they are socialized enough and learn how to take their meds well before I let them go into a bigger but more awkward cage for me. :p

The boys are up next...there's some pleasant surprises in store and some not so happy discoveries. I have discovered these poor poor rats had mites as well as lice :shock: :sad3:

lilspaz68 said:
The boys are up next...there's some pleasant surprises in store and some not so happy discoveries. I have discovered these poor poor rats had mites as well as lice :shock: :sad3:
Perhaps some of the grumpiness is from the buggies, and they will all get along afterwards...
(One can hope!)

Joanne said:
Perhaps some of the grumpiness is from the buggies, and they will all get along afterwards...
(One can hope!)

Now that would be nice!

Black self is very scared, very nervous of everything and very defensive...so I put on my shirt that buttons up the front (unbuttoned and tucked him inside...now that he was covered up his brain felt safe enough to re-set, and then he decided to be brave and come out...I would stroke him and pat him and talk to him, and finally I told him he needs a name so I can sing it to him. I found a fav site with names from babies in the 1920's and started reading names to him...most didn't fit him, but finally I hit on "Charlie" and he stopped shivering and started grooming in my arms...awwww.

Jan2614Charlie2.jpg~original

Jan2614Charlie.jpg~original

So far I call my little Trio the armful of boys :p They are all a bit worried but really do seem to like the stroking, they swirl around in my arms, and then I felt something...and then again...huh? The mink hoodie is a LICKER! :heart: :heart:

Jan2614armfullofboys.jpg~original

Jan2614armfullofboys3.jpg~original

Jan2614armfullofboys2.jpg~original

:love7: Sweet ratties, happy at last. So happy that one of them is a licker. It's been a while since I had one of those.

I can only begin to imagine the misery they felt before. :(

Well...time to start weighing the girls (I have a feeling I was lied to about separate accommodations), but its going to be tough to figure out starvation weight gain to any pregnancy weight gain, although I already have my suspicions about Zima the russian blue...sigh :roll:

Lumi - 218 grams
Kayi - 243 grams (was 196 before they started their marathon drinking and eating binge for the last 24 plus hours)
Talvi - 280 grams
Zima - 273 grams and a rounded lower down look to her already. :doh:

Pics in a sec of the girls out on my desk...Lumi likes to lie in my arms so its hard to type and edit/upload pics at the same time.

Jan2614Scarbgirls2.jpg~original

Kayi diving into her food LOL

Jan2614Kayi2.jpg~original

Talvi showing off her lovely flat belly...

Jan2614Talvi3.jpg~original

and Trouble with a capital Z...

climbing up my body
Jan2614Zima4.jpg~original

Plotting the end of the world
Jan2514Zimaplotting.jpg~original

Showing off her lovely round belly :gaah:

Jan2614Zima3.jpg~original

and little Lumi

Jan2514Lumi5.jpg~original

Jan2614Lumi2.jpg~original

Back in my lap...she likes it here.

Jan2614Lumi3.jpg~original

Time for metacam...blech!

Notice my arm looks shiny, she's wiping her chin on my arm...the good ol' metacam wipe :D

Jan2614Lumi4.jpg~original

All done now, time for a snooze...Zzzzzzzz

Jan2614Lumi5.jpg~original

They honestly look so much happier! You can see the little light in their eyes, I don't think they can believe their luck bless their sweet hearts! Thank you so much for posting these wonderful photos they are fantastic! Haha - Awww, you have a LICKER i'm so jealous! The metacam wipe! That made me giggle. A couple of my stubborn babes used to let it dribble out of their mouths lol. The smell seems to linger for days doesn't it! Is there anyway I can donate treats to your new babies? I'm in the UK and it would take a while to get there but do you accept treats/donations? It'd be my honor to send them something nice :) I just feel for them so deeply. I've been trying so hard not to think about what they've been through, their story (and their happy ending) really got to me xx

Hi Claireybell, I think treats might be difficult to get to me in Canada, rules at customs about food products I believe? But if you want to send a toy or something like that I/they would love it :) I want to stimulate their active little minds since I am sure they had nothing before.

Lumi is a cuddler. She didn't want to be with the others, she wanted to be with me last night, so she slept with me last night. She also climbed up on my neck and cuddled down there while I stroked her. This poor wise old soul knows she doesn't have a lot of time left and wants to get as much as she can out of her new life. When I first saw her and them, my mind went into shock a little...but things the guy said to me are coming back little by little. He said she was one they bought originally when I mentioned she was very old...my guess is she's probably a mom to most or at least some of the other rats I have here...the girls always cuddle up beside her in the base of the cage...maybe she knows they are going to be alright now and just wants the comfort of warm blankets and hot human to cuddle with? Her heartbeat is not slow anymore, but she is having a bit of congested sneezing so she's going on abs this morning. :undecided:

Jan2714Lumiintheblankets.jpg~original

Lumi's beauty is overwhelming. She's kind of breath taking really. I think you are totally right about everything you said. It seems as though you have an amazing connection with her. I hope so much that she gets a second wind. Fingers crossed for you hun! She must be in utter heaven right now, being able to rest in your love. She looks so tired in her eyes. Her pictures say so much about her. But what a little gem!

Gah, I can imagine you were in shock seeing them at that place under those conditions. It must of been surreal and really difficult for you to keep calm? Did you find it hard not to go off at the guy that had them? I have no idea how I would handle something like that, I'd most likely be very emotional. I can imagine it would be almost impossible not to give him a good piece of my mind for being so cruel and irresponsible with these rats. No wonder your mind went blank. Sounds like a coping mechanism and like you just wanted to get them the hell out of there asap!

Where do I send toys to :) I hadn't thought about customs dang it. I would love to send them a present for being so brave :) would you like my email so I can get your address or is there a way to Private Message on here I'm not sure..?

Back