Scarborough Feeder Rescues - Safe

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

The Kijiji ad posted last night that Alex put up. I saw it this morning.

I have several live rats that i am giving away for free. They were used to breed for / feed my ball python collection but between switching to frozen thawed and the larger girls going off feed I wont be needing these guys anymore.
First come first serve. Take them all if you want, or take one for a pet. Not holding onto anything for anyone, but ill be fair. I wont have 2 people racing to see who gets here first. If someone has messaged me already i will let you know.
I can give you a container to take them home in if needed.
I have a brand new unopened bag of bedding if you would like for $5.
pick-up only

The snake owners snakes had been switched over to frozen thawed so these older adult rats were no longer needed. They were used as breeding stock. I hated the thought of someone taking them and feeding them off or continuing to breed these poor souls, so after I saw Alex's post on here I messaged them at 7:42 am. By 9:30 am we were starting dialogue...I left home at 11 am.

The whole trip took 3 hours, but its now taken me 2 more hours to triage, take pics and get them setup in small temp cages.

First impressions, crazy thin, filthy, lice-ridden rats with terrible porphryin...I kissed some as I transferred them to their carriers found out there was 8 not 7 and rushed them home as fast as public transit allowed.

So here are the 4 boys and 4 girls who just came home, and are now retired from their former life. Names are much needed for the 4 boys, Jenny helped me with girls as we had to name the last girl quickly, and you'll know why once I get to her.

I'll let their pics do the "talking"...there's a LOT of pics too.

Boy 1 - mink hoodie dumbo, very very thin, don't let the puffy fur fool you, lice and a mild URI

Jan2514Minkhoodiemale2.jpg~original

Jan2514Minkhoodiemale4.jpg~original

Jan2514Minkhoodiemale3.jpg~original
Jan2541Minkhoodiemale2.jpg~original

Jan2514Minkhoodiemale.jpg~original

Boy 2 - fawn self dumbo, very thin, lice and a moderate URI

Jan2514Fawnboy.jpg~original

Jan2514Fawnboy3.jpg~original

Jan2514Fawnboy2.jpg~original

Note his version of fear poop :( (ALL the rats are dehydrated)

Jan2514Fawnboy4.jpg~original

Jan2514Fawnboy5poop.jpg~original

Boy 3 - black berkshire, standard ear, very thin, no URI, shyest of the boys

Jan2514Blackberkboy3.jpg~original

Note the porphy paws

Jan2514Blackberkboy.jpg~original

Jan2514Blackberkboy4.jpg~original

Jan2514Blackberkboy5.jpg~original

Boy 4 - black self, best body condition, thinning fur, biggest boy, dominant and tried to mouth me

Jan2514Blackselfboy32.jpg~original

Jan2514Blackselfboy4.jpg~original

Jan2514Blackselfboy.jpg~original

Jan2514Blackselfboy2.jpg~original

Girl 1 - Zima - russian blue, much younger?, too thin, no URI but nipped very hard and kept trying

Jan2514Bluegirl.jpg~original

Jan2514bluegirl3.jpg~original

Jan2514bluegirl4.jpg~original

Jan2514bluegirl2.jpg~original

Jan2514bluegirl5.jpg~original

Girl 2 - Talvi - Agouti hooded dumbo, seems to like people , no URI, too thin and lice like the rest

Jan2514agoutihoodiegirl3.jpg~original

Jan2514agoutihoodiegirl.jpg~original

This pic you can see the sunken in side, the other pics don't show

Jan2514agoutihoodiegirl4.jpg~original

Jan2514agoutihoodiegirl.jpg~original

Jan2514agoutihoodiegirl2.jpg~original

Girl 3 - Kayi - beige berkshire, very thin, no URI, but I am worried about her, she seems dull and apathetic

Jan2514beigegirl4.jpg~original

Jan2514beigegirl3.jpg~original

Jan2514beigegirl2.jpg~original

Jan2514beigegirl.jpg~original

And lastly Lumi (Finnish for snow) - PEW I think dumbo (hard to tell), very apathetic, much older, covered in lice, eyes are pale from not feeling well or cataracts not sure which as she's elderly, large mass in her abdomen sadly, and she always feels cold and is usually hunched over. Her heart seems to be beating very slowly and she has no URI. She reminds me sooo much of Morry. :heart: :sad3:

Jan2514PEWgirl6.jpg~original

Jan2514PEWgirl.jpg~original

Jan2514PEWgirl5.jpg~original

Jan2514PEWgirl4.jpg~original

Jan2514PEWgirl7.jpg~original

Here she seemed excited and was on the move :p

Jan2514PEWgirl3.jpg~original

Wow - I just have to say that you're an amazing person for what you do. The condition of these rats is horrifying, so so so glad you saved them!

Poor poor rats....so thin and covered in lice.. What a terrible way to have to live. So glad they have been rescued...Hope sweet Lumi makes it....she looks like a doll.

OMG... those poor rats. That guy should be charged with cruelty! But because they were actually food, nothing can be done. People can be so awful. Thank god they are now in your care.

:sad3: I can't believe how cruel some people are. :sad3: These poor babies just found heaven in your home. I know you will show them love and compassion that they have never known. Hang in there Lumi :heart:

I'm so relieved and happy you have these sweet ratties in your care now. Poor poor babies. :sad3: Thanks to you, they have a new, wonderful life. I hope Lumi makes it. :heart: What a horrible person to have caused such suffering.

ratmando said:
I'm so relieved and happy you have these sweet ratties in your care now. Poor poor babies. :sad3: Thanks to you, they have a new, wonderful life. I hope Lumi makes it. :heart: What a horrible person to have caused such suffering.

The guy was in his early 20's and clearly just ignorant of rat's needs. He had no realization that they were in terrible shape. He also was hoping for and VERY happy that someone like me was taking them to make them happy as pets not a future ofr more breeding or being eaten. There are only frozen-thawed rats in his future now (we talked about how he switched them over, and that some were resistant) so I didn't bother telling him.

That's a relief, it's all about education and just not knowing or realizing the awful truth. Maybe now, since he met you, he understands. :hugs:

You are a godsend to these poor creatures. Even a person who knows nothing of rats should be able to tell what miserable condition they are in. If only they knew how their lives are about to change. I look forward to seeing how they thrive in your care. Thank you for taking them.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

I am sickened by their conditions. Theses rats will now know what love and compassion are thanks to you and Jenny. I look forward to watching their progress.

I am actually sitting here crying, I can't imagine what they've been through. You are amazing, just the title of the forum topic title (safe) was enough to make my day. Please keep us updated with pictures living their new lives that would be so awesome! There might be an overwhelming amount of people out there inflicting cruelty upon animals, but there IS another army out there! An army that fights for animals and dedicates their lives in giving them the lives they deserve. Thanks again to you!

I'm trying to think of boy names, but not coming up with anything too original! How about Mink, Rusty, Berk and Ebony? Or maybe a Greek theme: Kostas, Nikos, Ido and George.

:wallbang:

I am watching this with a broken, furious heart... those poor poor babies... poor Lumi!!! :cry: Thank God they are in your care now and stand such a better chance...

Trust me, if I weren't over my limit right now, and if you were in Montreal, the fawn and black self boys would be spoken for and would end their life snuggled in with my 5 girls... :sad3: Why do I see this after deciding my next rescues must be boys???

For the record, my heart has been whispering for a fawn since the passing of my heart rat Piccolo 2 or 3 years ago, and BF has a serious thing for deep black rats... and now those two show up that really need a second chance... :panic:

Well it looks like I may need a pile of neuters down here...I had to remove the black berk from the self's cage as he was getting really pounced on...so he's in with the other 2 and I am hoping these 3 can stay together...Minky is a bit dom, but I also saw the fawn pushing his buttons, and they were curled up together. I noticed the berk and self did not sleep together but were pretty much separate, so this should be okay.

OK the girls got put into an RR today, they are so tiny its like having 4 babies in one...they seem to think its HUGE and FUN :D

Last night's pic of Lumi post-bath

Jan2614Lumiafterherbath.jpg~original

and their new home

Jan2614Scarbgirls.jpg~original

Kayi climbed the sides for awhile then settled into munching in the snap-inn with Lumi :p She seems much brighter today, her fur is smoothed down and her eyes are more aware.

Jan2614Kayi.jpg~original

Talvi was a busy girl too

Jan2614Talvi.jpg~original

Jan2614Talvi2.jpg~original

But not as much as Zima, the Original Adventurer LOL

Jan2614Zima.jpg~original

Jan2614Zima2.jpg~original

and even Lumi got into the fun :giggle:

Jan2614Lumi.jpg~original

Back