Ratties going into the vet

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Esther.......that must have really hurt!

Eli incision looks very good....nothing like Sammy's. I hope poor Sammy doesn't have more problems..........
Give Eli a kiss on his little bald tummy for me.......
Give them all cuddles from me their baby "cousins"

Thanks!

mamarat2 you are right, a lot of neuters and spays in a short time.
I have taken in a lot of rescues and it was time to alter the ones I wasn't able to rehome. Will be soo glad once everyone is healed and no longer on meds .... takes awhile to medicate 17 rats (these 16 plus Ralphie who is on heart meds, etc) twice a day.

btw Linda - Burrell, Mark, Joey and Sammy are Emma's brothers (Leah's 4 boys).

Well Sammy's hard lump around his hole/open wound is growing ...

Some of Mark's stitches have been removed which should be fine as it has been over a week but .... long thin white material is hanging out of it. At first I thought it might me thread from his stitches but it is part of his flesh. Tried to take a pic but you can't see it in them.

Have a vet appointment tomorrow so hopefully things will start improving.

SQ said:
Well Sammy's hard lump around his hole/open wound is growing ...

Some of Mark's stitches have been removed which should be fine as it has been over a week but .... long thin white material is hanging out of it. At first I thought it might me thread from his stitches but it is part of his flesh. Tried to take a pic but you can't see it in them.

Have a vet appointment tomorrow so hopefully things will start improving.

Sammy must be abscessing and poor Mark...for sure not stitches? bronwen's stuck out of her like that...freaked me out because there was skin growing on it.... :shock:

Good luck today!!!! Poor leetle boys :(

I'm so pushy ... showed up at the vets this am with 2 boys and no appointment.

Anyway ....
Mark's wound is now closed ... looks like the vet may have glued it ... he took Mark out back, leaving Sammy and I in the exam room ... I probably should have just followed behind but thought there might be surgery going on ...
Vet thinks Sammy's swelling etc. is part of the blood clot that I took him to vet vet about last week.

Ratties continuing on antibiotics so if Sammy does have an abscess that should help ....

Both boys were very happy to be back home. :)

LOL, I love it Holly.. sounds like you might have needed to be pushy ;)

I hope the boys stay well and that that's the last vet visit for a while.

Took everyone except Artie (only so many travel cages & so much room in the car, plus he looks really good) to the vet for a recheck and to have any remaining stitches removed. Everyone is looking good :)

Sammy is still healing. Esther (girl who was taped :( ) is still healing as well. The remainder are good.

:dance:

Well, 8 out of 8 boys each have a lump near his penis.
I assume they are abscesses.
Abscesses are not unusual but 100%?

So spending a huge amount of money and time to convince 8 little boys to take their baytril twice a day.

The girls, on the other hand, are looking very good.
Esther (girl who was taped) is ready to have her stitches out.

I would discourage anyone with rats from using this vet.
He is nice but from my experience, I would say he should not be treating or operating on rats.

Any chance of getting the abscesses to come to a head with warm compresses Holly? Nasty abscesses. I feel your pain.

We are back to treating one of Luke's with sugar. Its not the same one we treated previously but one from August that his "other" -not so great vet- "treated" and has resurfaced.

I will try ... but difficult to do with young squiriming ratties that don't want to be touched down there and either want back in there cage or to go exploring.
I did try but gave up too easily. Will try again.
Very, very concerned at the placement of the lumps as they are at the base of the penis, not near the healed incisions. :(

Doesn't help that my heat is cranked up to 30 degrees, and the ratties are in the warmest room but can only get the temp up to 71 degrees. (Wind is blowing in through windows in two the the rooms but not in room with the ratties.) Don't want to get them wet as they will get chilled.

They are on baytril, I've let abscesses heal on their own before with just meds. Keep an eye on it. It could also be a reaction to the sutures and it traveled up near the penis.

SQ said:
I will try ... but difficult to do with young squiriming ratties that don't want to be touched down there and either want back in there cage or to go exploring.
I did try but gave up too easily. Will try again.
Very, very concerned at the placement of the lumps as they are at the base of the penis, not near the healed incisions. :(

Doesn't help that my heat is cranked up to 30 degrees, and the ratties are in the warmest room but can only get the temp up to 71 degrees. (Wind is blowing in through windows in two the the rooms but not in room with the ratties.) Don't want to get them wet as they will get chilled.

Sounds like you need to do the sitz bath in the bathroom sink instead. All of mine got that treatment. The warmth and wet really worked to bring it to a head faster.

Back