Ratties going into the vet

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 4 ratties are now settled with hot water bottles and baby cereal.
When I went to the vet, Esther had to go back in for surgery as she had chewed off enough stitches that her insides were coming out ... vet put a bandage over it, around her waist - don't expect it to last long once she is no longer groggy.

Poor little Elijah had his abdomen shaved, guess someone thought he was a girl :roll: (I must have too many ratties, can't keep their names straight :oops: )

Anyway, all 4 are recovering nicely. :D

Poor little Eli.
Fortunately the vet didn't try to spay him. :roll:

March07Eli.jpg

Eli says "I am NOT a girl!!"

Poor little Esther .... stupid, stupid vet!!

Esther had to go back into surgery after I arrived to pick her and the others up yesterday. Some of her stitches had been removed and her insides were coming out through the incision. So she was restitched and glued. The vet put a bandage around her middle so she wouldn't be able to get at it. You would think he would know better than to use tape ...

Today she has been crying. After I put her and Debbie back in with the others they have been bothering her and she cries whenever anyone, including me, touches her. The bandage was held on by tape so I cut it and then removed it ...

Here is the bandage ...

March07Esthersfurfromstupidvetbanda.jpg

My poor little girl.
She feels much better now that the bandage has been removed.

Poor Eli for being mistaken for a girl! Bill and Eli should start a support group for boy rats being thought of as girls. :wink:

Awww, poor little Esther on her bandage experience!! :kisses:

Sammy is having problems again ...
stitches are gone and wound is wide open. You can't see it in the pic but it looks like there is a smaller hole inside the hole you can see.

It should be well on the way to healing as he was done over a week ago but:

March07Sammysneuter02.jpg

March7Sammysneuter01.jpg

any ideas or suggestions?
It is a weekend and the storm will probably be here by morning.
Checked all the boys in his cage after finding some drying blood. Fortunately not a lot of blood.

It looks clean, no worries, it will close up with time.
On one of my neuters, my vet had tried something different, she tried doing one incision but it opened wide up. I rushed him back, but she told me not to worry, keep his home clean and it will close up on it's own.
She went back to two incision after that.
My point is it should close up soon enough, no worries.

I was talking to a vet I work with in regards to getting my babies neutered when the time comes...and she was reading on VIN that it is common pratice to leave the incision open much like a feline neuter, now i dont know about the hole inside the hole....
I would keep an eye on it (obviously!) to make sure that it seems to be closing back on its own...if not then it may have to be debrided to allow for rough edges for healing....

SQ, if the wound isn't too terribly deep and you are stuch inside for the weekend with the weather, try packing it with the sugar. Luke had that neuter abscess and our vet had said use the sugar. As a last resort to get it to heal now, without getting infected, might work. Of course I'm not sure they would be able to suture it up after adding the sugar, would have to let it go on its own and keep using the sugar.

With Luke, once we started sugar, that was a Tuesday and a week later it was fully healed, closed and looked great.

I hope they heal soon.

If you are really worried you could always treat it like you would an abscess and flush it out.

He looks more annoyed being on his back then in pain at least :roll:

Especially after all this time I wouldn't worry too much. I always worry the night of and sometimes the day after, and then they are well on their way to healing.

YIKES!! I just caught up on this whole thread. SQ thats a load of rats to get spays/neuters!!!! I hope poor Esther is feeling better after the tape being taken off, poor thing.

Thanks for your comments. Thanks for the info. on using sugar.
No Sammy doesn't seem to be in pain.
He is still on baytril.
The other incision, the one still closed is the one that was bleeding off and on from last week til Monday - had him back to the vet on Monday. Poor boy ...

Oooh poor Esther!!!! What was that vet thinking!!! The tape goes on their tail to distract them, the bandage goes around the middle...how is she healing Holly??? Did this vet not use internal sutures? Those rarely open up, the ratties usually pick at the tight external ones...

Awwww Eli is soo cute with his bald spot :lol:

Esther seems to be doing ok now that the taped on bandage has been removed. Prior to that she was very quiet and as I said, cried whenever anyone touched her. I imagine that the tape must have pulled her hair every time she moved.
I hated to pull it off but had to get it off her so she would feel better.

As for Eli, hope the poor little boy doesn't get cold :wink:

Poor little Sammy. His groin area is quite swollen and feels hard. His brother's groin areas are not swollen nor do they feel hard.

edit: thought he uses internal stitches ....

Back