Pyometra?-Owl is home and healing well.-Doing great!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the exam goes well! I don't know about genital myco, but I believe with polyps the treatment is a spay.

I've had 2 girls with vaginal bleeding before. 1 girl it was a disaster. this was my terminator that made it to 2 1/2 though against all odds :) so there's hope! with her, she started bleeding on a Thursday and by Sunday (after an exam and everything) she was going septic, despite being on meds. fluids helped and after some ER vet disaster stuff, my girl went in for a spay with my vet. they found abnormalities in a uterine horn, which was likely part of the problem. which may be what your vet is referring to when saying there can be other things involved like the polyps, etc.

my second girl, I don't remember if they found anything abnormal with the uterus. she started bleeding lightly, we thought it had gone away, then it started again about a week later so we had her spayed.

my vet basically treats with antibiotics to stabilize and control infection as much as possible, but spays to fully treat the problem.

I'm not sure this was much help. I really understand with the cost of spays. they're about $150 for me, but depending on the reason for the surgery the cost can go up. it's expensive :(

Owl-3.jpg

"Wait. Where am I going tomorrow mom?"

Dropped her off about an hour and a half ago. I didn't sleep at all last night, and am exhausted. I want to sleep now, but can't until I get the call hearing she made it through okay. :heart:

I tend to get so much closer to my rats when they are sick. Owl is such a doll and these past few days have been wonderful. She is such a happy girl, she loves her furry buddies, and loves playtime so much. I enjoy watching her zoom around and hop on top of everyone just because she is so small.

The vet called, and said Owl did great! :joy: She said it's good we spayed her, because she did indeed have Pyometra! She is going to send me pictures of her uterus which I will post here.

I'm very interested in seeing her Uterus too. I keep checking my email.

It's great news yes! It's amazing. I always comment on threads like this saying I hope everything goes well because I do, but the feeling of being one to comment that, and the one actually having the rat spayed, is such a different feeling! I am so eager to see Owl tomorrow. I love my vet so much.

She's home! Since this is my first spay, I am worried. Is everything normal?
She has staples which they will remove in 7-10 days? It seems I've read that rats remove them on their own?
She is on Baytril BID, FlagylBID, MetacamBID and BuprenexBID.

She's very happy to be home.

Her uterus:

[spoil:1sage94k]
UfbdsjgdriOwl.jpg

tni.jpg

tn.jpg
[/spoil:1sage94k]

And her staples.
s.jpg

I had her on my lap a little bit, and she was wanting to explore. I can't wait until she is bouncing around again.

In the future urge your vet not to use staples. glue is more than enough to hold them in, you may have one heck of a time keeping her off of them. It is scary when they pull them out. She wont take them out the nice way, she will rip them out of her skin. Talk to your vet and let them know that surgical glue is the only thing that rats generally leave that alone.

you can see how unhealthy her uterus was. Good thing you took it out.

I can't comment on the other two meds, but baytril and metacam are generally what my vet gives after surgery. the baytril though only if there's reason to. ie if the surgery was for an infection or there's risk of infection, etc. metacam is their most commonly prescribed thing for pain management after surgery. they usually recommended for up to 5 days or as needed. depending on the rat and surgery.

I also second what Hopefloats said about staples. glue is by far the best experience I've had with incisions. even my rats that look at grooming as a sport usually leave glue alone.

I'd just keep as close an eye on her as you can until the staples come out.

Back