Pyometra?-Owl is home and healing well.-Doing great!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattusNorvegicus

Owl bled vaginally on and off in December. She was put on Baytril for some sneezes, and it seems it cleared that up too. (Well, when I think back I believe so) I was going to get her spayed, but was never able to come up with the money. Her bleeding stopped after a week or two.

Owl started bleeding, or having dark brown/red discharge perhaps a week ago? I really need to write things down more. So I estimate May 25, maybe May20th. It's been on and off but when on it drips. There is a lot of discharge. I never noticed any foul smells until today when I woke her up. Her bottom half had a lot of dried discharge and now it smells like a dead animal. I had planned (and still plan) to get Baytril and start her on that. She at the moment is on Zithro+Doxy right now for breathing issues.

She is very active, and I haven't noticed any signs of pain, except for squinting eyes which she ALWAYS has done. She is a naked PEW, so she squints along while doing the PEW thing. Owl is 17/18 months old.

Does this sound like Pyometra? Or an infection? I need advice. I am going to start selling everything I can and earning money just in case she needs a spay.

Also, does this sound urgent? As I'd like her to be on Baytril for at least a week before a spay if she needs one because she always has respiratory issues. Once she is off abs, the symptoms will come back a week later no matter what combo or how long she was treated. The Zithro Doxy combo is helping, but not as much as I'd like. Should I do a Baytril+Zithro combo?

It sounds bad. Especially if she is getting it while on an antibiotic. She may need a spay. I personally prefer baytril for things like that.

I just gave her a dose of Baytril, it's getting bad. Can I feed her anything to help with the blood loss? If it's blood that is.

I hope she'll be okay. :sad3:

Well the discharge has decreased gladly. She is still her crazy self, jumping around and tickling everyone. The vet isn't open until Monday, but hopefully the Baytril will kick in. If the discharge stops, could it be an infection and not Pyometra? I don't want to be fooled, and her still have a diseased uterus.

I would get her spayed sooner rather than later if your vet is experienced, just to be sure. Pyometra is an infection of the uterus and I don't think she can survive without a spay if that's what it is.

Uteruses have been banned from my house just for this reason. If she heeps having issues then she needs a spay.

She has been sleeping all day (which is usual, they will wake up soon for playtime) and I have checked on her several times and the discharge seems to be lessening. I will have to see during playtime though for sure. I hope my vet isn't upset that I am giving her Baytril prescribed for Ed, it was just urgent. There isn't a lot left so I hope it lasts until I get more which will be a few days.

DSCN8097.jpg

Scritches for little Owl

DSCN8082.jpg

I picked up 3 rescues on a Thursday evening a few months ago.
That night one of the girls started bleeding from her vargina.
I took her to the vet the next day (Friday) and she was put on baytril as that is the treatment suggested, with a spay for Monday if she wasn't any better.
(Vet was closed all weekend)
She went into shock Sunday and nothing I did helped ... I phoned the emergency vet on call 3xs but vet knew nothing about rats.
She died that Sunday evening ....

Hope your girl gets the care she needs from the vet and is soon feeling much better

:( That frightens me. What does shock mean? I've heard it a lot before, and think I may know, but not really.

I am going to call my vet tomorrow.

If the bleeding/discharge completely stops, would that mean it was a bad infection? Or can Baytril cause the Pyo to be "under control"? I still plan to call my vet to talk to her about it, just wondered what you guys think.

I don't think it can be resolved completely with antibiotics because it's hormone related as well as an infection. If you wait for the antibiotics to stop helping, surgery may not be an option anymore.

Okay, well I called my vet and the person I talked to basically told me everything I know. I think I'll just get little Owl an exam to see what my vet recommends we do, I just feel like it's a waste of money because I can do everything she would do. If I didn't start the Baytril, I believe my vet would have then we would've waited to see if the discharge stopped, exactly what I am doing. She said there is usually more with Pyometra than just vaginal bleeding. Is there? She said more likely it's polyps or genital myco. What do you guys think? I hope I get a reply. I am sorry for not just getting her spayed immediately just to be safe, money is just a huge issue. I love Owl and will do what she needs, but want to make sure what I do is indeed what she needs.

And if it is polyps or genital myco, is Baytril the right treatment? This is frustrating, I just wish I had money to get all of my girls spayed.

Back